Wildcat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts

I am glad you liked the Blanton's it's a winner for sure. If you ever want to try a wheated Bourbon give this a shot. It's the same Mash bill as Pappy Van Winkle. Just aged less time. It's a staple around our house, and it's easy on the wallet. All three of these are produced by Buffalo Trace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
436 Posts
If I drink a rum I like Kraken or Sailor Jerrys

·
Registered
318 Posts

I am glad you liked the Blanton's it's a winner for sure. If you ever want to try a wheated Bourbon give this a shot. It's the same Mash bill as Pappy Van Winkle. Just aged less time. It's a staple around our house, and it's easy on the wallet. All three of these are produced by Buffalo Trace.

This is probably my new favorite. My brother bought me a bottle at Thanksgiving and I really enjoyed it. He also got be a bottle of Jesse James which was pretty good. Before that my drink of choice was Bushmills. Before Bushmills is was Southern Comfort. I also like Jim Beam. You all might laugh at this but I really enjoy Canadian Mist too. I don't drink beer. It gets me drunk and makes be feel full and sick but I can drink whiskey and Rum all day and usually be OK. I was told it was because of my Irish roots but I know a lot of Irish that can drink more beer than whiskey. I guess I must have come from one of the other clans that drank whiskey instead.

I even have a sticker in my ride that says "NO BEER". I get tired of people wanting to ride with me but then want a cooler full of ice and beer in the back. I tell them no beer in my ride and they either go without or find someone who will let them put their stuff in their rides.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bourbon demand worldwide has become to intense, many brands have shortened their aging time. Next time at the liquor store start looking at the labels. Many have removed the amount of years aged from the label.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
This is south of town it is called the "Crooks Brand" site, he is the general who was sent to round up Geronimo. One night on the trail one of the natives burrowed the Generals horse to play head games with him. The news of this deed spread far and was etched into the rock to commemorate it (much like we drink and chat on the internet - just a lot slower) :cool:

I have always been fascinated by the old west. Just as most any kid was in my day ....heck even at 72 it still feels the same way.
I plan on taking a trip someday and just go to some of the places that you guys have been to and live close to.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have always been fascinated by the old west. Just as most any kid was in my day ....heck even at 72 it still feels the same way.
I plan on taking a trip someday and just go to some of the places that you guys have been to and live close to.
Another good reason to drink whiskey. Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses isn't just a song. Its a good Western motto.

I do a lot of horseback riding (I put more miles on my horse than I do my Wildcat) and the nice thing about whiskey is that its good warm or cold. I've seen a lot who want to drink beer on the trail and try to fill their saddle bags with ice only to have it melt shortly into the ride. Then they grip about warm beer. I don't care for beer but if I do drink it, I don't care if its warm or cold and never understood why everyone thinks its better cold. If I was a beer drinker, maybe it would make a difference.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm pretty much okay with any of it as long as I have a bottle in front of me....

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yeah I haven't drank much beer in the last 24 months. I have drank my fair share of Bourbon though haha! All around better less filling no hangover for me.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Working on a bottle of Eagle Rare tonight!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Bourbon is just DELICIOUS!!!! As of right now I have approximately 75 bottles. Some are really smooth and some suck! Prices are anywhere per bottle from $20.00 to a couple over $300. I like some of the IRISH whiskey too. I have been collecting bourbon for about 20 years, problem is it's a hobby that is hard to keep around cause I want to drink it! Lol. It's a good thing I have a couple friends that work for liquor distributors and I get it wholesale. I have yet to go in a bar in the last ten years and they have more bourbon than I do... Lol

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Well since your guys brought spiced rum into the mix you might want to try Spice Box. If you can get it. It is a spiced whiskey. I think it is my favourite now. Still drink captain morgan, kraken and of course crown royal.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Glad you got this thread started SS!! Well my whiskey journey started when I was 18. Before that it was just cheap tap beer at friends house parties. lol The reason Jack Daniels is my first love, was I was going to school at WyoTech in Laramie, WY and I was hanging out at a friends dorm room and he had some Jack Daniels in his fridge. Well needless to say it was the start of a beautiful relationship. LOL!! I always kept mine in the fridge too, saved on ice. Always drank Jack and Cokes, then got to where I would just do Jack on the rocks, because I don't drink pop anymore. I also tried Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel and some of their other ones like Honey Jack and that Fire Jack or whatever they call it. I don't like the flavored ones, but I see where they're trying to appeal to a larger market. When I got into my mid 30's I started to expand my horizons and tried Knobs Creek, Jamison, Makers Mark, Crown Royal, etc., etc..... I really like Makers Mark and thought it was real similar to Gentlemen Jack, just cheaper. I started collecting limited edition bottles of Jack Daniels a few years back and people give me a hard time for not drinking them, but that's just me. I tell them if they want, they can drink them when I'm gone and celebrate what a great guy I was. LOL!! I'm always up for trying different whiskies, I don't have a refined palate by any means, I either like how it tastes or I don't. This is going to be an awesome thread for us whisky guys. Now I can hear about different brands of whiskey I might otherwise never have heard of. I'll have to see if I can find a bottle of Blanton's and give it a try. Thanks SandSissy for getting this thread started and all us whiskey guys need to keep the suggestions coming. Thanks for some of the first suggestions Kilby. :biggthumpup:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Glad you got this thread started SS!! Well my whiskey journey started when I was 18. Before that it was just cheap tap beer at friends house parties. lol The reason Jack Daniels is my first love, was I was going to school at WyoTech in Laramie, WY and I was hanging out at a friends dorm room and he had some Jack Daniels in his fridge. Well needless to say it was the start of a beautiful relationship. LOL!! I always kept mine in the fridge too, saved on ice. Always drank Jack and Cokes, then got to where I would just do Jack on the rocks, because I don't drink pop anymore. I also tried Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel and some of their other ones like Honey Jack and that Fire Jack or whatever they call it. I don't like the flavored ones, but I see where they're trying to appeal to a larger market. When I got into my mid 30's I started to expand my horizons and tried Knobs Creek, Jamison, Makers Mark, Crown Royal, etc., etc..... I really like Makers Mark and thought it was real similar to Gentlemen Jack, just cheaper. I started collecting limited edition bottles of Jack Daniels a few years back and people give me a hard time for not drinking them, but that's just me. I tell them if they want, they can drink them when I'm gone and celebrate what a great guy I was. LOL!! I'm always up for trying different whiskies, I don't have a refined palate by any means, I either like how it tastes or I don't. This is going to be an awesome thread for us whisky guys. Now I can hear about different brands of whiskey I might otherwise never have heard of. I'll have to see if I can find a bottle of Blanton's and give it a try. Thanks SandSissy for getting this thread started and all us whiskey guys need to keep the suggestions coming. Thanks for some of the first suggestions Kilby. :biggthumpup:
We have toured Jim Beam, Evan Williams, and Buffalo Trace. It really cool to get the background of all the brands and what affects the taste. While at Jim Beam we bottled our own Knob Creek single barrel. To include our thumb prints in the wax lol. A good buy is also Russell Reserve 10 year.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
My buddy bought a bottle of that Honey Jack stuff and brought it up to the Oregon Dunes. The general consensus in our camp was UGH! Nobody wanted it. We left it sitting on the picnic table the entire week, and no one would steal it. What's wrong with our youth these days?

·
Registered
94 Posts
When I drink mixed drinks jack and coke is my go too.

I also like blantons, bookers or just standard old buffalo trace.
We did a Harley trip to the buorbon trail, we did tours at wild turkey, buffalo trace, 1792 and beam.

21 - 40 of 121 Posts