Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I specifically bought the Trail so I could access 50” trails. Most posts seem to be about how big a tire they can use without any consideration for the width. Is there information somewhere regarding what tire options keep you within the 50” limitation? I don’t have to explain how bad the factory tires are.

TIA,
Curtis

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
on our last 2016 trail s/e we put 28-10/12 tensor regulators on all four and stayed at a little under 50" front/rear...no spacers were used...had a spare with oem front rim that would work in the front and rear...with balancing all four tires on the rims the rig rode great on hardpack at speed..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you put the same size tires on the front and rear? I’ve seen that mentioned a few times. Is there some benefit to doing this? Currently I’m running the factory tires on the cheap steel rims.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
the s/e had aluminum rims with different offsets from front and rears...front would work in the front and rear in case of emergency...however the rears wouldn't work in the front of the rig...loved the off highway grip and the on highway ride with the regulators...

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
also, helps to have the bandit 200/240 springs to keep the suspension from squatting and adding more ground clearance to boot...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a look at the 28-10/12 tensor regulators. I really like the tread pattern compared to other tires. I don’t know if the steel rim is any different then the aluminum rim. Then again the steel rims aren’t exactly sporty.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
if i ever get around to wearing out the oem cst behemoth on our xx i'll be going back to the regulators...street legal and handle everything we've ever ridden...moab to high mountains...with the 12" rims and 28" tall tires it made for a little more sidewall area where it flexed more than with a 14 or 15" rims...softened the ride a little bit...

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have 27" ITP Blackwaters mounted on the factory steel wheels and I have been very happy with them and I still fit through the width restrictors. The front and rears are 1 in. wider than the factory setup, but I don't remember the exact size.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 27" ITP Blackwaters mounted on the factory steel wheels and I have been very happy with them and I still fit through the width restrictors. The front and rears are 1 in. wider than the factory setup, but I don't remember the exact size.
Do you know if you have the same size on the front and rear?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems like if you stay in the 10” (or is it mm?) range. It won’t exceed the 50” width restriction. Does that seem right?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Do you know if you have the same size on the front and rear?
I do not have the same size all the way around. My tires are an inch wider than stock.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It seems like if you stay in the 10” (or is it mm?) range. It won’t exceed the 50” width restriction. Does that seem right?
I tried to step up to a 14" rim because I wanted less sidewall exposed, but to stay 50" I needed a 6+1 wheel and I couldn't find any of those I liked.

I might have been fine with 5+2 and narrower tires, but I didn't want to risk it.

The best thing to do would be to measure the restrictors where you're at and see. The restrictors our club installs are actually like 52" IIRC, but I swear some of the BLM restrictors are only like 49".

Another question is your suspension. If you crank up the suspension you might be able to suck in the width a little bit.

Another consideration is if the law actually measures machine width in your area or not. I've heard they do in some places, but not here.

You can always clamp two boards to your front and rear wheels and measure to see where you're at now, then calculate how much room you have to adjust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts