Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... I am thinking of testing something out on the wildcat. This is my first UTV so I am a total newbie, but have plently of years in the saddle on 2 wheelers. I am having a blast on the wildcat.

Here is my question / idea... I want to do a 10 day trip in Baja (San Diego to Cabo and back) and have been shocked by how fast the ATV-style tires have worn on the wildcat. I have about 300 miles on the machine and it looks like the tires have 3,000 miles on them... I was thinking about switching out the rims to 15" and running BFG Mud ATs for the trip. I have a lot of experience with these tires on my FJ Cruiser and they have been tough and reliable. This would also allow me to run 4 of the same size wheel / tire and therefore reduce the number of spares I need to carry.

I was curious if anyone has done/seen this and if so will the increased weight of the tires cause me any clutch problems?

:confused:

Thanks in advance. This forum has been a huge help / resource to a newbie like me.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I wouldn't go that large on the wheel/tire setup.

I'd stick to 14"wheels and get Pitbull Rockers or Growlers. I bought Sedona Ripsaw tires, but I haven't tried them out yet so I can't tell you how durable they are. The online reviews claim they are very tough.

If you want a bit more ground clearance via taller tires, do it with the stock height rims for more sidewall. Not only do smaller rims give better traction with lower tire pressure (longer contact patch) but the larger sidewall will give a smoother ride and more puncture resistance from pinching.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not a good idea to run 15" wheels. As socalmax said- try the pit bull tires. I currently run the ITP Bajacross but the sidewalls get too many punctures. I've got 14" wheels on my Polaris 850xp and have not had any problems with them.

I just did that trip in November in a Rzr4. It's about 2800 miles if you go all dirt. I went from Tecate to Cabo and then came back to San Quintin. It will be a little more difficult finding suitable dirts roads out of TJ. 10 days is probably the minimum amount of time it would take. On the way down we averaged almost 300 miles a day so it was a 5 day trip. 300 miles everyday in a sxs is a pretty good pace.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Just curious what is the issue with going up to 15" vs. 14". Since the tire selection is so much better at 15" I'd really like at size. Is it the weight or the clearance or both?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Just curious what is the issue with going up to 15" vs. 14". Since the tire selection is so much better at 15" I'd really like at size. Is it the weight or the clearance or both?

Both, plus flotation. You could run a 12", 14" or 15" rim on the rear. Let's say you had a set of each with a 27" tall tire on them. You inflated all of them to 10 psi. The 12" would give you the best tire flotation in soft silt/sand due to the way the tire elongates the contact patch, and the 15" would give you the least flotation in those same conditions.

Considering it comes with a 14" rim, I'd stick to that with beadlock rims, and carry plugs, tubes and a couple spare unmounted tires as a backup plan.

Keep in mind that this is just one guy's opinion. I'm positive about the flotation vs rim size relationship, but I have never driven a UTV in Baja, so this is not based on actual UTV/Baja experience. I do have 15" rims on my dual sport 4 seater, with 33" tires on front and 35" tires on the rear, that setup works great in Baja for the couple of hundred miles that I drove down there. It's a much larger vehicle with the torque of a V8 and proper gearing for 35" tires.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Not a good idea to run 15" wheels. As socalmax said- try the pit bull tires. I currently run the ITP Bajacross but the sidewalls get too many punctures. I've got 14" wheels on my Polaris 850xp and have not had any problems with them.

I just did that trip in November in a Rzr4. It's about 2800 miles if you go all dirt. I went from Tecate to Cabo and then came back to San Quintin. It will be a little more difficult finding suitable dirts roads out of TJ. 10 days is probably the minimum amount of time it would take. On the way down we averaged almost 300 miles a day so it was a 5 day trip. 300 miles everyday in a sxs is a pretty good pace.

Wow! Sounds like a great trip! Did you guys sleep in tents, or stop at motels?

I'd love to read more about your trip, all of the details, if you've posted it on the web somewhere, or you could start a thread about it!

·
Registered
182 Posts
What ever tire you choose make sure you have good bead support in the event of a flat. I blew 2 14" bajacross inside of 1/4 mile just north of San Quintein and had to drive 60+ miles on broken wheels. Its all about spun wheels, beadlocks, and inner bead supports; Cast wheels explode when the tire goes flat the first time it hits the ground. By the way a 15" BFG all terrain is lighter than the14" Bajacross. I know a few guys who race in Mexico with BFG ATs with success. They tell me they are like runflats when the get punctured they dont collapse like a UTV/ATV tire would. Mud Terrains are too aggressive and much heavier than The TAs. Dave at Fullerton Sand Sports cant trim and shape a set of BFGs to make your machine handle well in Mexico. What ever your choice I suggest a dry run in the local deserts to test the clutching.
Ok... I am thinking of testing something out on the wildcat. This is my first UTV so I am a total newbie, but have plently of years in the saddle on 2 wheelers. I am having a blast on the wildcat.

Here is my question / idea... I want to do a 10 day trip in Baja (San Diego to Cabo and back) and have been shocked by how fast the ATV-style tires have worn on the wildcat. I have about 300 miles on the machine and it looks like the tires have 3,000 miles on them... I was thinking about switching out the rims to 15" and running BFG Mud ATs for the trip. I have a lot of experience with these tires on my FJ Cruiser and they have been tough and reliable. This would also allow me to run 4 of the same size wheel / tire and therefore reduce the number of spares I need to carry.

I was curious if anyone has done/seen this and if so will the increased weight of the tires cause me any clutch problems?

:confused:

Thanks in advance. This forum has been a huge help / resource to a newbie like me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys this is all great information. I really appreciate everyone's input / opinions. Here is what I am going to try and will report back on my success / failure / performance (on a shorter test run of course, I live in San Diego, so I can test in simlar terrain).

15" spun alum wheels from OMF, with beadlocks on the outside and bead gaurds on the inside)
15" BFG AT all the way around (plus one spare)
I have on board air, so I will be able to test at different PSI for different conditions

All terrain is different and we will hit just about everything in Baja from tip to tip so I will know a lot more about tires/wheels and the wildcat when this tirp is over.

Thanks again for all the input/advice
Ken
:fingersx:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great thanks for the info. I saw your Wildcat at the Indy show and took those photos. I ordered my wheels in all black but other than that I'm going with the exact same set up. I can't wait to try it out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's one tuff setup. Take lot's of pic's sould like a great Baja adventure. Would be great to have a journal of the day to day events. Good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I thought they would hook up too much cornering. I was sliding the car at 30-40mph through hard pack, dg, sand, and loamy dirt. There were no issues with the side wall or the tread design.Traction was excellent, not too much bite but tracks well. High speed stuff is super smooth; no vibration. The best thing about 15's in Mexico is if you run out of spares, there will be plenty of used donor tires at the Llanterias (tire stores) that are everywhere. Have fun.
Great thanks for the info. I saw your Wildcat at the Indy show and took those photos. I ordered my wheels in all black but other than that I'm going with the exact same set up. I can't wait to try it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BFG AT vs. BFG AT Mud

I thought they would hook up too much cornering. I was sliding the car at 30-40mph through hard pack, dg, sand, and loamy dirt. There were no issues with the side wall or the tread design.Traction was excellent, not too much bite but tracks well. High speed stuff is super smooth; no vibration. The best thing about 15's in Mexico is if you run out of spares, there will be plenty of used donor tires at the Llanterias (tire stores) that are everywhere. Have fun.
Tim,

Thanks again for the info, your experience with this setup is taking a lot of the anxiety out of the $$$ purchase for me.

Follow up question: I was reading / watching some video on the BFG site saying that the newly designed AT Mud is vastly improved and that it has blended all the best from the original AT and the original AT Mud (lower weight, tougher sidewall, self cleaning tread, etc). I like your comments on the tread for the AT being not too much, not too little in the corners so that is probably the safe bet, but I was thinking about giving the AT Muds a try. Any thougts / experience with the AT Muds?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
182 Posts
With any UtV Tire too much bite is always worse than not enough; Ive never heard of anyone having belt or clutch issues because they didnt get enough traction. I would choose the lightest tire possible with an acceptable sidewall strength hence the AT's for the desert. If you were rock climbing or in the sand when the tire lug's square edge is important for traction I would consider the Mud tire and re-clutch to compensate for the weight and bite.
Tim,

Thanks again for the info, your experience with this setup is taking a lot of the anxiety out of the $$$ purchase for me.

Follow up question: I was reading / watching some video on the BFG site saying that the newly designed AT Mud is vastly improved and that it has blended all the best from the original AT and the original AT Mud (lower weight, tougher sidewall, self cleaning tread, etc). I like your comments on the tread for the AT being not too much, not too little in the corners so that is probably the safe bet, but I was thinking about giving the AT Muds a try. Any thougts / experience with the AT Muds?

Thanks,
Ken

1 - 20 of 28 Posts