Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed an x motor in my 12 cat. Found it used but practically brand new. Im not familiar with this clutching. Im going riding this weekend and want to make sure I have the tools i need to replace the belt if for some reason it were to fail. Anyone be able to tell me what i need to have in my toolbox for my ride. I know the obvious torx bit. My old setup I could roll the belt on without removing secondary. I did have to spread the secondary sheaths or atleast it made it easier. Input appreciated as alway.

·
Administrator
27,733 Posts
From what I have seen with the Xs, it's similar to a WCD set up. You need to remove the secondary to get the belt off. At least that's how one X owner did it. Besides a jack that you'll need so you can remove the shock to get the cover off, you'll need an impact, and a socket. Can't remember the size, there was just a thread on the size, think it was 36mm, something like that. Take the secondary off, take the belt off, put a belt on, put the secondary back on.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Jack, 17mm and 13mm to disconnect the top shock mount bolt. 30T to remove cover screws, 19mm to remove secondary bolt (righty tightly lefty loosie), take outer part of secondary off, put new belt on, put outer part of secondary on and hand tighten secondary bolt. Turn secondary a couple times, tighten secondary bolt with 19mm socket, turn secondary a couple times, tighten secondary bolt, etc until belt is tight. Put cover back on, put bolt back in upper shock mount, lower jack, and ride.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Dont loose the shims when you take the secondary half off.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
IMO, you don't what to be changing a belt for the first time in the field. At the very least, go through the motions up to taking the belt off at home and set the tools aside (then add them to your tool kit) so you know what tools you will need. At least that way you will have the correct tools and have a better idea of what you are up against.

Reactions: 4508js

·
Registered
514 Posts
IMO, you don't what to be changing a belt for the first time in the field. At the very least, go through the motions up to taking the belt off at home and set the tools aside (then add them to your tool kit) so you know what tools you will need. At least that way you will have the correct tools and have a better idea of what you are up against.

Yeap, that's what I did and glad I did it too

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
If you don't swamp it cutting the clutch cover in 2 pieces will make it so you don't have to remove shock. I took mine to a machine shop and got it done. D&P a vendor here offers one cut for decent price and you send old one in for core. Still haven't got mine on yet gonna feel dumb if I blow a belt before I get my cut one on

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
If you want to leave the 17MM at home, you can just take off the bottom shock mount and either hold or zip tie the shock off to the side. And you can leave the 19MM and impact home if you would like to. There is a way to wedge the secondary open to get a belt off and on without removing the secondary. However, if you have room for the 19MM and impact, that makes it a lot easier. I agree with doing it before you go though.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I use an oil filter strap wrench on the secondary in one hand and the ratchet in the other. Not ideal but i dont need an impact.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I just smacked ratchet with hammer and it breaks it loose. Not a high torque bolt

·
Administrator
27,733 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why is everyone taking off the secondary? There is a hole in the side that you can stick a screwdriver or other similar item in and it releases the secondary. Then you can simply roll the belt off and on. Done. Or am I mistaken?? Mine hasnt ever gone bad. LOL But that is what I have been told.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Its so easy to take off the outer sheeve not worth the effort to roll it

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate the input from everyone. I doubt it will be an issue but i like to be prepared for the worst. Nothing worse than a day being ended early for something so simple. Ive barely got any time on this new setup but i can tell already the clutching is much better. Bites as soon as you give it throttle. I installed the alba belt temp gauge. But mostly because i had an empty hole in my dash where a boost gauge used to live.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Does the trail have the same sized secondary?
No ours looks a bit different but not by much. Actual size i dont know but our rollers are totally enclosed in the outer half so its a nice smooth cup to grip onto. By the looks of the secondary on the big cat a rubber strap wrench should still do the trick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts