Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Own a 2013.5 WildcatX that I purchased used last summer. Top speed seems to only be about 80KPH. Yesterday I found a good dirt road to open it up on, got to maybe 85KPH but also noticed that the RPM climbed to just under 7000, then actually dropped back to under 6500. Checked throttle position with diagnostic mode, and it stated 100 when floored, so assuming that is right. Reading other posts, seems like RPM should top out around 7500. What would keep my Cat from reaching that RPM, and, I would assume, a higher top speed? What is with the drop in RPM once it almost reaches 7000; is that the upper limit on this machine? If that is the case, how can that be adjusted? Little frustrated with what seems to be a pretty mellow top speed.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
Sounds like a clutching problem, weights, springs etc. Maybe someone with a similar machine will chime in with suggestions

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yeah, correct belt and clutching. Not sure I would mess with it if you are getting 7k rpm. Might go with bigger tires for more speed. If you do, ease into acceleration from a dead stop to baby your rear diff some. It is the weak link in your drive train

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reading that the Wildcat power band is maximized at around 7400, thinking I would like to get to that and see what difference, if any, that makes. Also hearing good things about Dalton clutch kits. Anyone care to comment on those?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Own a 2013.5 WildcatX that I purchased used last summer. Top speed seems to only be about 80KPH. Yesterday I found a good dirt road to open it up on, got to maybe 85KPH but also noticed that the RPM climbed to just under 7000, then actually dropped back to under 6500. Checked throttle position with diagnostic mode, and it stated 100 when floored, so assuming that is right. Reading other posts, seems like RPM should top out around 7500. What would keep my Cat from reaching that RPM, and, I would assume, a higher top speed? What is with the drop in RPM once it almost reaches 7000; is that the upper limit on this machine? If that is the case, how can that be adjusted? Little frustrated with what seems to be a pretty mellow top speed.
I know I am not giving you any help with the problem you are having. When you get it solved I would recomend never starting in Hi. I had a 2013.5, loved it. I sold it and bought a 2015X 4, both great machines. The problem with both was the belt. The first one on the 2013 lasted 400 miles. I put 30" tires on it and decided not to start in HI again. That ended my problem with the belts. The 2015, I have 3700 miles on it, I have replaced one belt and that was my fault, I was not paying attention. When you start in low get moving to 10 or 15 miles per hour feather the throttle slide it out of Lo and into Hi. It works well and does not put pressure anywhere. You can do the same in reverse, slip it out of Hi speed the motor up and put it into Lo. Just pay attention and with a little practice it works well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have gone ahead and ordered the Dalton kit for my machine and will wait for that to arrive. Since I have not gotten into my clutch before, how will I know if any modifications were made to it by the previous owner? Are there obvious things to look for, like spring colours and stuff like that? Any pointers around that would be helpful, as its possible someone got into this before me and perhaps did not get it right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts