Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im really considering towing my sxs with my 2013 civic si coupe.
Im trying to find the lightest 6x10 trailer on the planet

or im wondering .. could it be a safe option to use a dolly trailer ? (safe for the sxs) like front or rear tires on the dolly and the other tires on the ground? (its not planned for long distance but just a few miles)

Or.. simply using Tow bars kit that is attached directly to the frame. (then your sxs is the trailer...)

Or if you guys have any ideas. anyone is towing his SXS with a car? if so pictures and share experiences.

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
According to the 2013 Honda Civic Owners Manual:

Honda Civic.jpg

If you want to be safe, you might need to look at alternative options to your Civic.

·
Administrator
27,475 Posts
Moved to Off Topic Discussion.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It doesn't take too many miles for a side-by-side to show significant wear. I don't think I would want to add towing mileage to the total. I'd keep all four off the ground.

If you must tow, I would put the rear wheels on the dolly. There is a lot of stuff that spins when the rear wheels roll, plus with the locked rear axle one of the rear wheels has to scrub any time you turn.

·
Registered
557 Posts
According to the 2013 Honda Civic Owners Manual:

View attachment 243217

If you want to be safe, you might need to look at alternative options to your Civic.
THIS!! Not saying you need a 3/4 Ton Pickup, but consider buying or renting something rated to tow at least 2,000 lbs.! You want to have a "margin of error" when towing, so if your SxS + trailer weighs 1500 lbs., for example, you want to be sure to use something rated higher than that, not lower. :)
There are quite a few vehicles out now that are rated to tow 2,000 lbs, including many of the smaller CUV's.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Something else to think about is my SXS on my trailer weighs around 1,800 lbs. The rated tow capacity of my 2 door Rubicon is 2,000 lbs it struggles at highway speeds (only 100 KPH) and on a slight grade it will drop to 3rd gear sometimes. I was surprised when I towed it for the first time and won't do it anymore unless it's less than a 1/2 or I have no choice.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would not recommend it. whats your budget for a trailer? if you only plan on short distance, would that amount buy you a small box truck that the cat would fit in? I have seen high milage box trucks in the $5000 range. Just a thought

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I honestly thought this was a joke thread. You cannot safely tow anything other than perhaps a bike rack with a Civic, especially not 2,500 lbs of machine and trailer. To not go to a huge truck I'd recommend a small SUV with some power or something similar.. i.e. my wife's V6 Rav4 (270HP) has a 3,500 lb capacity and towed our trailer just fine prior to us getting a Tundra. Or you could look at a small truck like a Ridgeline, Tacoma, etc.

Regarding trailer weight I once saw a guy on Facebook that had as basic of a trailer you could imagine - essentially just a single tube running from the hitch to the axle, machine rested on it with a couple plates built to support tires. It was sketchy looking but he rocked it for a long time.

And towing with the SXS rolling is not a good idea - you'll wear out everything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think a Civic is to heavy to tow with a Sport, besides no place to hook the towbar.......:laughing:.....sorry
I dont want to tow my car with my sxs .. lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I honestly thought this was a joke thread. You cannot safely tow anything other than perhaps a bike rack with a Civic, especially not 2,500 lbs of machine and trailer. To not go to a huge truck I'd recommend a small SUV with some power or something similar.. i.e. my wife's V6 Rav4 (270HP) has a 3,500 lb capacity and towed our trailer just fine prior to us getting a Tundra. Or you could look at a small truck like a Ridgeline, Tacoma, etc.

Regarding trailer weight I once saw a guy on Facebook that had as basic of a trailer you could imagine - essentially just a single tube running from the hitch to the axle, machine rested on it with a couple plates built to support tires. It was sketchy looking but he rocked it for a long time.

And towing with the SXS rolling is not a good idea - you'll wear out everything.
well that sxs is 980lbs. thought that going 500-600lbs over the limit wasn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You need a competent tow vehicle for the weight of the Sport and trailer. Nothing with a CVT will tow what you want.

It's dangerous, not just for you, but others behind you, to not have the right tow setup along with going too fast for the (usually 65 mph) tires on the trailer.

The advise you asked for here is correct.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts

That sounds like a Sand Rail T trailer that we use to use... I know made one before I could afford a good one

·
Registered
6,004 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just bought a 2019 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk elite you guys won. Taking delivery this Thursday.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Congrats
That's the best and safest way to go.
For you, your vehicle and your SxS.
Especially if you are going any distance.

Ok I will get off my soapbox now
Best of Luck.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Very cool, you went the safe route.

So back to the trailer. There are some very light aluminum trailer options that will fit your machine. Aluma and Triton both make 10' x 67-70" wide utility trailer. They weigh nothing and have a nice ramp for loading. I bought one for my 1000 Ltd, as I could roll it into the garage and take up very little space.

What we found was that utility trailer was money for all sorts of other projects as well.

But keep in mind the 2019 version of that vehicle's tow capacity is 2000lbs. So don't get crazy adding on all sorts of extras to push that limit. (don't buy a steel trailer) But you should be fine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very cool, you went the safe route.

So back to the trailer. There are some very light aluminum trailer options that will fit your machine. Aluma and Triton both make 10' x 67-70" wide utility trailer. They weigh nothing and have a nice ramp for loading. I bought one for my 1000 Ltd, as I could roll it into the garage and take up very little space.

What we found was that utility trailer was money for all sorts of other projects as well.

But keep in mind the 2019 version of that vehicle's tow capacity is 2000lbs. So don't get crazy adding on all sorts of extras to push that limit. (don't buy a steel trailer) But you should be fine.

Good luck!
my tow capacity with my Trailhawk with 2.0T is 4000lbs not 2k and if I had choosen the v6 it was 4500lbs. (Turbo is faster and better mpg tho)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts