Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Never been around tracks, but how do the mount to the machine? I would assume just by the lugs so any track with the correct lug pattern work? If so then any for a RZR on any Polaris (4x156) will fit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There's a torque arm on a lot of tracks to keep them from flipping around so that would be special to the xx. But I dont think I'd want to try tracks with a stock steering rack. Much less transmission

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm not sure tracks are worth it. Do you know anyone with tracks to talk to? I know a guy who put a set on his Can Am Outlander (800 I think) ATV. I was talking with him and I said, "now you don't care about restrictors 'cause you just go over them (when the snow is deep enough)." He said, "no, not really. 18 in or maybe 2 ft of snow is the max." Anything more and his machine just doesn't have the power. I got to thinking and he essentially paid a few thousand dollars to drive around in about 18 in of snow. My machine will get around in 8 - 10 in of snow just fine and I could probably push it a little more. Just not sure what benefit he gets with tracks. I would heavily research this before I put out the money.

Reactions: Dean

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
I looked into tracks when we had our X. Some people will mount ATV tracks on their UTV, but tracks for UTVs are longer than for ATVs in order to spread the weight over more track area. Also, the condition of the snow is a big factor. Powder isn't going to support your machine. "Aged" snow that is crusted over will support a lot of weight without breaking through. There are lots of videos showing side-by-sides running on 6 feet of snow or more.

The biggest negative (for me) is the gear reduction. A stock XX spins 30" tires, moving almost 8 feet with one revolution. A track will only move a small fraction of that - sometimes just 2 or 3 feet - so to go 30 mph on snow, you are buzzing the motor. Think how it would be if you had to drive your XX in low all of the time.

That gear reduction also multiplies torque, so I doubt that power is ever the limiting factor on what depth or type of snow you can run on.

Reactions: Dean

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a torque arm on a lot of tracks to keep them from flipping around so that would be special to the xx. But I dont think I'd want to try tracks with a stock steering rack. Much less transmission
Good point on the transmission. Lots of guys are running them up here on machines , ie Polaris generals -they are having good feedback. Just never seen anyone with them on a XX yet ! I just installed an inferno heater and side window kits on order. Just wanna cruise some fields and trails. Nothing rank

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
The ass-end of an XX is pretty heavy. Since there does not seem to be much in the way of proven setups for the XX, I would suggest collecting info on track setups of good performing machines, like the Generals you mention. Once you know the axle weights and square inches of track on the snow, you'll have a ballpark for how big the tracks would need to be on an XX to get the same flotation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts