Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading some older posts about individuals rolling over 50" trails. Some said they did it at low speeds. There were posts saying differences in weight from driver to passenger makes a difference. Also springs and shocks. What all do I need to know about safety issues about driving my 2014 Wildcat trail 700. I will definitely not be driving it fast in curves OR straight away. Our main reason for getting it was to get us from point A to B for exploring places where we couldn't go with our F150. Upper Keweenaw peninsula, Michigan, New Mexico, and Arizona. Is it important to get fender flares? We are both senior citizens and not really into seeing how much mud we can go through. What about individuals saying they had problems with radiator getting clogged with dust/mud and overheating? This will be our first time taking the trail on off road rides. Just wonder about being several miles off road and have problems that might shut the trail down. We are never riding with a group of people, always on our own. Thank you.

·
Administrator
28,160 Posts
Couple of thoughts for you. Statistically speaking, most rollovers happen doing less than 5 mph. But don't let that discourage you. First for safety, you should get harnesses if you don't have them. Harnesses will save your life one day. When you're driving, stay away from sketchy stuff. Deep ruts, mud, off camber / uneven trails. Trust me, you'll find them anyway, LOL.

Check all fluids before venturing out, if you're a little low, top off. Have an air gauge, and an air inflator. Your tires should be somewhere between 12 - 20 psi for dirt. Adjust to what feels good to you. Never make sharp turns, nice arching turns if possible. Drive within your means, and you'll be fine. Go have some fun!

Reactions: Dean

·
Registered
11 Posts
Was reading some older posts about individuals rolling over 50" trails. Some said they did it at low speeds. There were posts saying differences in weight from driver to passenger makes a difference. Also springs and shocks. What all do I need to know about safety issues about driving my 2014 Wildcat trail 700. I will definitely not be driving it fast in curves OR straight away. Our main reason for getting it was to get us from point A to B for exploring places where we couldn't go with our F150. Upper Keweenaw peninsula, Michigan, New Mexico, and Arizona. Is it important to get fender flares? We are both senior citizens and not really into seeing how much mud we can go through. What about individuals saying they had problems with radiator getting clogged with dust/mud and overheating? This will be our first time taking the trail on off road rides. Just wonder about being several miles off road and have problems that might shut the trail down. We are never riding with a group of people, always on our own. Thank you.
I have a 2015. They will roll. I run mine pretty good on trails and other places and just use common sense through turns. They stick to the ground pretty good. I have had mine up to 40mph on straights and it handled perfect. I also have a little bigger tires. You will be fine. Just use your head.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hollywood, Nasty Kitty, and schultzmarty8: As with all previous responders I have had, I can't thank you all enough for your words of wisdom. I do not have harnesses and hope I can get them before we depart on vacation (8) days. Not only will I check all my fluids before riding, I will take extra fluids along. I will take a small bottle jack, spare tire, assortment of hand tools, portable tire inflator/jump starter, tire gauge, water, food, Ruger super Blackhawk 44 mag., and of course ......DEPENDS....... for those scary times...🤓

·
Registered
177 Posts
Beanpole, the fact that you're asking about this tells me that you're probably not going to get yourself into any dangerous situations. And if your wife is like my wife, your right shoulder will soon be black and blue if you get her into a dangerous situation! LOL! In addition to all the great advice above, I'd suggest adding wheel spacers if you're not going to be running any 50" and under trails. I have 1" spacers on mine I can feel a difference. You may want to disconnect the front sway bar if the previous owner hasn't done it already. It's a pretty common modification on the Trails. I think it makes it more stable over rough ground because all four wheels stay in contact with the ground better, and it will give you a better, smoother ride. The sway bar is more for high speed cornering, and it doesn't sound like you're going to be doing much of that.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, with many people willing and anxious to share what they've learned. They've helped me out many times!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brettm57. Thank you for that information about the sway bar. Does that also apply to the rear? As far as the bruised shoulder .... after reading her these posts especially where it says roll overs can and do occur at low speeds, I'll probably have to bind her with duck tape and load her into the S x S.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Brettm57. Thank you for that information about the sway bar. Does that also apply to the rear? As far as the bruised shoulder .... after reading her these posts especially where it says roll overs can and do occur at low speeds, I'll probably have to bind her with duck tape and load her into the S x S.
I just unhooked the front sway bar on mine. I've read where some of the rock crawler guys unhook both, but the general consensus seems to be unhooking the front and leaving the rear hooked up is the best compromise.

I've had to tone it down some as far as tackling gnarly trails when the wife is along over the last few years. It was either that or start wearing shoulder pads!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Without previous experience driving this in off road situations and not knowing to what degree I can climb or descend a hill or tilt sideways around a hill I will be very hesitant to tackle much this first time out. Especially while my wife is with me. I want this to be an enjoyable time for her, not an ending for trail riding experience. I see advertisements with side by sides going over some very rugged terrain. Some of it looks impossible. If that ruggedness is encountered just back up/turn around? Just be observant and don't get in that predicament? I have a lot to learn from you advisors.

·
Administrator
28,160 Posts
Without previous experience driving this in off road situations and not knowing to what degree I can climb or descend a hill or tilt sideways around a hill I will be very hesitant to tackle much this first time out. Especially while my wife is with me. I want this to be an enjoyable time for her, not an ending for trail riding experience. I see advertisements with side by sides going over some very rugged terrain. Some of it looks impossible. If that ruggedness is encountered just back up/turn around? Just be observant and don't get in that predicament? I have a lot to learn from you advisors.
Well, Rule #1 you're breaking already. NEVER drive alone. If something bad happens, you won't have help. Just take it easy, and have a good time. Don't overthink things, you seem to be doing that. It's like a car, you drive it. As I mentioned, don't try anything sketchy. Wait until you have some "seat time" before trying something adventurous. Also, list where / when you're going in the rides / advents section. You never know who is around or wants to ride.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hollywood. I wasn't disappointed. Once again good advice. For the past 35 years we have always gone on our own. We started out with backpacking in Colorado and Idaho for two to three weeks at a time with our seven daughters. Before heading for a trailhead I always made it a point to visit the local sheriff and let him know where we were going, for how long, and if we didn't report back in by a certain date to come looking for us. They were always kind enough to daily check on our vehicle for us. After all kids were gone my wife and I made our way up to quads. Because we are 'rock nuts' and everyone that knows us say we have rocks in our head, it's not always easy to connect with people that have the same interests, same vacation time, same length of time, and desire to go to same locations.

·
Registered
2017 Trail SE
6 Posts
I am just starting to use mine, and decided to experiment around the home before getting out on a serious trail. Here's a couple photos of an off-camber situation I purposely put the machine into with a ditch alongside a hill.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I was a little disappointed how easily the driver's front wheel came up. Correspondingly the passenger rear did not droop much. I will say however that I have my shocks cranked up nearly all the way for clearance, and my front sway bar is connected. This all makes it as if there is almost no suspension at all.

With that said, this experiment did give me a chance to play with it. I was able to push on the roll bar to just about the point of tip over. I could actually push it to about 45º before it would have rolled on its side.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am just starting to use mine, and decided to experiment around the home before getting out on a serious trail. Here's a couple photos of an off-camber situation I purposely put the machine into with a ditch alongside a hill.

View attachment 254081

View attachment 254082

I was a little disappointed how easily the driver's front wheel came up. Correspondingly the passenger rear did not droop much. I will say however that I have my shocks cranked up nearly all the way for clearance, and my front sway bar is connected. This all makes it as if there is almost no suspension at all.

With that said, this experiment did give me a chance to play with it. I was able to push on the roll bar to just about the point of tip over. I could actually push it to about 45º before it would have rolled on its side.

View attachment 254081

View attachment 254082

WOW. Double WOW. That is incredibly unnerving to see, but also very important to know. That hill looks like nothing I would have been worried about. It sure is an eye opener for me. No wonder people were talking about roll overs occuring at low speeds. I definitely am going to disconnect the sway bar. For this first trip I won't be indulging in rock crawling or worry about real high clearance. How loose can I adjust the shocks to? How wide wheel spacers should I get"? Thanks to all and especially for the pictures.

·
Registered
2017 Trail SE
6 Posts
WOW. Double WOW. That is incredibly unnerving to see, but also very important to know. That hill looks like nothing I would have been worried about.
It bears repeating that I purposely positioned the machine in the worst way possible, with one tire highest and the diagonal one lowest. Hopefully no one would actually approach this situation that way.

Again however, I was pleased that upon getting out and pushing on the uphill side, I was able to rock it an additional 15-20 degrees before it was at the tip point. I actually thought that was pretty good for such a narrow footprint.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wanted to get 2" wheel spacers and 4 point harnesses before we left but ordering them now will not get them to me in time. I did get my Dragonfire harness bar today but.... guess I will have to get by with just taking off front sway bar. without front sway bar going to try reading some old posts or google how to set right adjustment for Fox shock springs and whether Fox shocks are any good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wanted to get 2" wheel spacers and 4 point harnesses before we left but ordering them now will not get them to me in time. I did get my Dragonfire harness bar today but.... guess I will have to get by with just taking off front sway bar. without front sway bar going to try reading some old posts or google how to set right adjustment for Fox shock springs and whether Fox shocks are any good.
In my last trip to CO springs we rented a CFmoto 850 and it was a 50" machine. We did about 25+ miles of Schubarth trails and its offshoots. Some of the roads has washout and I was familiar w/ wheeling already but on that 50"er I wouldn't feel comfortable going anything too offcamber. There were a few times we stopped and walked the trails to confirm the best line and we took it very slow in those instances. It wouldn't push it as hard as the 64" XP I rode last time but the big thing has already been beat to death, be smart w/ your speed and abrupt maneuvers.

And good idea on the 44. We saw a black bear about 50 yards from us on Starvation Rd/trail at the turn around point. Underwood makes some hardcast and "Xtreme" penetrator rounds. I'd rather be prepared vs lunch if theres no way to avoid a confrontation.

Have fun!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
powerlifter405: We are now in the Keweenaw peninsula sans wildcat 700. After reading lots of old threads plus all the advice and suggestions from recent responders to my posts we left the side by side sitting in the pole barn and brought the quads. Probably won't even ride much while we're here because of rainy predictions. When I got the side by side all put together I decided to drive it around a little to get a feel for handling. I had the rear shocks adjusted to 12 1/2" clearance and 12" clearance in the front with the front sway bar completely removed. I drove it around for about 30 minutes trying to get used to the jerky response from the accelerator not helped by my long leg being bent at a 45 degree angle to the right. I felt a little nervous going on some of the side hills. The vibration noise from the heat shield on the muffler was nerve wracking despite my having put a new bolt and lock washer on it as tight as I could. I started noticing a strong smell after about 20 minutes. I went back to the pole barn and there was smoke coming out of space around engine. The firewall by the heat shield was too hot to touch. After talking it over with my wife about the firewall, heat shield noise, no 4 point harnesses, no 2" wheel spacers, jerky response, and being several miles from civilization on our on, I decided for safety sake not to take it. On a side note, when I was rebuilding the unit I found out there are a ton of plastic fasteners holding panels together. I ordered new hood latches and quarter turn screws. One latch broke trying to get it on. I thought no way I would trust those cheap things to hold the hood together going down the highway or bouncing around on a trail. Instead I inserted 3/8 bolts from under dash with two flat washers, lock washer and wing nut. Threaded werx bolts got a dash of loctite, Found no fix for heat shield. Put a Curt hitch spare tire carrier on after cutting off 3 1/2" of tube and adding spacers and longer carriage bolts and a angle iron brace across cargo box down frame. Added long 1/2" all thread bolt from angle iron to Curt tube for support to hold weight of new rim and tire.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts