Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sunday I went out on the trail for a couple hours and everything was fine. I came home, pulled the seats and washed everything, then pulled it in the garage and that was it. Today I went to start it and when I turn the key to let the fuel pump prime all I got was the U0155 code, an E where the P,R,N,H,L normally shows, and the relay for the fuel pump clicked, but the fuel pump didn't come on. I've checked all the fuses, wires, and connections. I read on here that it's usually a dirty ecu connection. But mine still looks brand new inside, with no signs of water or dirt. At this point I can only assume that the ECU is shot? The cat is out of the factory warranty, but I did pickup a 4 1/2 year cycle max warranty plan from the dealer (they never mentioned the extended factory option). Has anyone had any experience with them before? Looks like I'll be taking her to the dealer one day this week after work. If anyone has an idea or suggestion as to what else it could possibly be I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
That code is the LCD gauge to ECU communication lost code. Check the connector on the back of the gauge too maybe. Apply dielectric grease to both and every other connection you can find. Cats don't like baths! Luckily you live in a town that has one of the best dealers for AC there is. Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call on the grease.... I totally forgot about that. I checked the connection to the gauge, and it seemed fine. You're right about MLS, but unfortunately I keep the cat at my parents house 2hrs east of Georgetown.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had the same problem and it turned out to be the ecu was shot

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update in case anyone else has this issue in the future. I got my trail back last week after being in the shop for a month. It ended up being the main wiring harness and it had to be completely replaced. The total with parts and labor was just under $1000. But luckily I took out the Cyclemax warranty and only had to pay $52.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Just an update in case anyone else has this issue in the future. I got my trail back last week after being in the shop for a month. It ended up being the main wiring harness and it had to be completely replaced. The total with parts and labor was just under $1000. But luckily I took out the Cyclemax warranty and only had to pay $52.
Wow…..wiring harness is like 437.00 alone…..my warranty is up, glad you got your warranty, it paid off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I almost covered the entire cost of the warranty with this one claim. So it was definitely a smart move going with the additional warranty plan.

I'm not sure what the exact issue was with the harness... Nor did the dealer. But after checking all the other components, that's what they narrowed it down to. They basically said that a connection went bad somewhere in the harness and kept it from allowing then components to communicate with each other.

The dealer said that the warranty company immediately approved the repair work, and even mentioned that they had issues with other harnesses associated with trails in the past. So apparently I'm not the only one who has experienced this issue.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Sounds like throwing the baby out with the bath water. Easier to replace the whole harness on the warranty dime rather than do a repair on a pin or chaffed wire somewhere. Nothing wrong with that if you arent footing the bill but for us saps with no warranty thats a piss poor way to fix an issue. Guess ill be down to chasing single bad wires cause i cant afford to throw entire assemblies at it rather than just fix the core issue. Damn daycare eating up all my money haha. How do people afford all these kids?? Oh wait, i know. Sorry for the rant, its one of those days. Short in my harnesss today.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the same problem with my 1000x. The relays started tripping, dash was flashing, started throwing communication & eps errors until the injectors and coils lost power. The dealer said something let go in the harness where the main power wire splits off in different directions. My machine only has 664 miles and is still under warranty. I'm hoping AC does the right thing. Is there anything that could be done to the replacement harness to make sure this doesn't happen again?

·
Registered
307 Posts
the wiring harness went on mine, about 6 months ago (out of warranty). On advice / tech support from AC - the dealer replaced the LCD module. (he tried another ECU first, pulled from a new machine) which I had to pay for, even though it wasn't the problem. After that, they "decided" it must be the wiring harness.... lol, since everything else was ruled out! At that point, I took it home and fixed it myself. There's a (now) well documented flaw in the Trail's wiring harness - a splice that wasn't sealed/covered completely, rots out from water... Relatively easy to fix, once you find it. Finding it without know where to look would be beyond tedious! Hours and hours, I'm sure.. Whether this would be true on a 1000X I couldn't say. I argued back and forth with Arctic Cat's Canadian customer service dept - and they eventually did a refund after about 3 months ($400 CAD) I wouldn't be surprised to hear of other harness issues as time goes on. If you can pinpoint the problem, be sure and post pics and results! I don't suppose the dealer let you have the old one to check over?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
There was a thread on full size wiring harness's a splice was not properly sealed and caused the wire to oxidize prematurely. The splice was 6" in the front of the hump as I recall. I'm sure the "short" heat shrink tubing applies to all harnesses..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just thought I would post in case anyone else runs into this issue.
symptoms- no fuel pump priming, E showing on the lcd where normally you see gear selector, and U0155 code.

After checking fuses,battery, connections, and finding nothing out of the ordinary we took it to the dealership.

They began throwing parts at it. Starter, starter relay, ecu. Roughly $1000 in parts. And it still didn’t start. Had them take all of their parts out, and I was back to square one.

Found that the wiring harness has a known design flaw.

Remove the seats, disconnect battery.
remove all of the screws securing the floor.
remove gear shift handle
remove floor
carefully slice tape off of loom and slice loom down the center where it meets.
you are looking for 4 red wires that meet up to a copper connector that connects to a single wire. this is about 12 inches from the seat rail going forward toward the front. There is another one of these about 6 inches the same direction.

This was not sealed correctly by the factory and allows water to get in and corrode

mine was just a bunch of green gummy stuff. i’m assuming the glue mixed with corrosion.

Hope this helps someone and saves them the pita that I had with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts