Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bent my first tie rod riding today and started looking for some sturdier tie rods for my machine. This is proving to be frustrating as I can only seem to find oem parts online for the trail. I did come across Kryptic heavy duty tie rods for the trail and that is it. Any of you have any experience with this brand? Will heavier duty tie rods put more strain on the steering box or cause damage that I am not considering? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I believe your line of thinking is correct. When you put on stronger tie rods, instead of bending they transfer the pressure to the box and frame. I personally would rather have a tie rod give than knock my steering box loose. With that said, I had to replace my steering box. Front end took a hit, bent the rod and cracked the outside housing where the bolts go through the box. Always been using oem tie rods. Haven't bent one in almost two years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Keep the weakest link the cheapest/easiest to change.
When you strengthen one component the weak link is now farther down the line and usually more expensive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Decided to go with the OEM tie rods. Dealer is checking to see if warranty will cover it but I am not holding my breath. Thank you for the input chadarey and autogyroflier. Sometimes I tend to overlook the keep it simple line of thinking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dealer is awesome! Staack's Motorsports replaced my bent tie rod under warranty even though I told them I was running trails pretty hard and hit some good size ruts in the trail. Decided it was best to stick with oem tie rods thanks to the great advice on this forum.

Reactions: bearharris88

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I bent my first tie rod riding today and started looking for some sturdier tie rods for my machine. This is proving to be frustrating as I can only seem to find oem parts online for the trail. I did come across Kryptic heavy duty tie rods for the trail and that is it. Any of you have any experience with this brand? Will heavier duty tie rods put more strain on the steering box or cause damage that I am not considering? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
I can't find any inexpensive non-OEM alternatives for the Trail either. The Kryptics are fairly expensive and after reading other posts I'm concerned about strain on the steering box. I think I'll just go with a stock replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts