Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing my first service and everything has looked great until the transaxle, the manual say's to use Textron transaxle fluid which is red in color, what came out when I drained it is not. It appears to be the same fluid that was in the front differential. Hope nothing is damaged. Anyone else come across this.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Originally the Trail manual called for the same oil as the engine used. Ive always used Amsoil in our 14 Trail with no ill effects.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've been doing my first service and everything has looked great until the transaxle, the manual say's to use Textron transaxle fluid which is red in color, what came out when I drained it is not. It appears to be the same fluid that was in the front differential. Hope nothing is damaged. Anyone else come across this.
It has been awhile since I had done my first service. But the color of the new AC transaxle oil was different from what came out in mine as well. There was talk about this on the Facebook group and apparently the oil supplier changed the color of the oil for some reason. It is suppose to be the same oil. I let it go and used the new colored oil with no problems..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know machines used to be shipped dry, never know what some rookie mechanic will put in one. The right stuff is in it now. I know there was a lot of black goo on the magnet which should come from being new. No large pice's of metal which is a good thing. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sure was a pain to change it. There is no hole for the fluid to drain out through the metal plate and refilling was a slow process. I am going to have to come up with a plan to make this job easier and less messy.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Pull the lower frame off...Only 8 bolts....mark the area where the fluid drains before you drop it and then drill a hole (I drilled a 1" hole) for future drains. I also added the diff rubber pad and drill that also.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was told by Todd Romaro is use maxima pro gear 75w-140 in the transaxle and maxima mtl 85w in the front diff. He said this is the very best way to go. He pretty much said the oil from arctic cat sucks. I’m changing mine to the maxima stuff.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I was told by Todd Romaro is use maxima pro gear 75w-140 in the transaxle and maxima mtl 85w in the front diff. He said this is the very best way to go. He pretty much said the oil from arctic cat sucks. I’m changing mine to the maxima stuff.
Are those synthetic? The rear uses a hypoid gear oil I believe.
MTL 80 is what I use in my bikes trannies...works great with clutches.

Maxima is good stuff I agree...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I experienced the same thing with the difference in color. No problem since I've changed it. I was more concerned with the goo on the magnetic plug. I suppose that's normal for a brand new engine braking in.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Anyone using the the Lucas 75/140 synthetic gear oil for these 2 holes? I’ve been reading different opinions on this and it seams using a 75/140 weight is a good option and the Lucas brand seems to be a good value at around fifty bucks for a gallon.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I’ve been using the Lucas Synthetic 75 140 gear oil for years. In my 2014 wildcat x I rebuilt the rear diff. at over 4000 miles and and gears look brand new no sign of wear whatsoever. I changed the transaxle and front diff. oil on my 2018 wildcat xx at 200 miles and will continue using the Lucas gear oil, good stuff in my opinion.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the feedback wayfer. I’m ordering it today. I’ll be changing all the fluids when I get back from the shenanigans in Ocotillo.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thanks for the feedback wayfer. I’m ordering it today. I’ll be changing all the fluids when I get back from the shenanigans in Ocotillo.
Went hiking in the Anza Borrego on the 27th...absolutely beautiful weather. (the Slots)
You must have had a great time.
Saw a lot of folks heading that way.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, had a great time, met another XX owner and did a nice ride with them. Had so much fun out there we stayed an extra 3 days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts