Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I apparently blew out my transmission just 12 days after the 6 month warranty expired! I was riding in some pretty rough terrain and after smoothing out I noticed a clicking sound from the rear during deceleration. About 2 miles later the rear drive stopped working after a sound similar to shaking coins in a soda can emanated from the rear. I was in 2 wheel drive when the rear drive stopped working. Switched to 4 wheel drive and was able to limp back to the trailer. So now, back at home in the garage with the rear on blocks, all gears work as expected except high. With the engine off, the rear wheels spin freely in neutral and high, not movable in low, park and reverse. With the engine running, low and reverse work as they should and no movement in high. Also, now the 4 wheel/2 wheel drive switch makes no difference.

So, does anyone know of a shop that I can send my transmission to have it repaired/rebuilt? I would rather not take it to the dealer as they will charge me an arm and a leg just to remove it from the Wildcat XX. Also, I would like to avoid the $2600 cost of a new transaxle unit.

Thanks in advance for any direction or guidance.

·
Premium Member
7,406 Posts
sounds like you don't have a lot of trust in your dealer...wish you had our dealer as they try everything they can do to get the company...i.e. a/c/textron to handle it...

·
Administrator
27,484 Posts
Welcome techman33. Here's my guidance, bring you car to the dealer where you bought it. Be professional, explain your situation, and ask them if they can present your case to Textron / Arctic Cat. Back in the day, Arctic Cat covered stuff that was a year or so out of warranty.

In hindsight though, this is why I always get an extended warranty. I try and tell members to get it too. For roughly $1K, for 48 months, it's nothing. For peace of mind if nothing else. Good luck, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you chose to not deal with the dealer or attempt to get it warrantied. Call Weddle Industry. Weddle builds the top off road race gear boxes. They own Mendeola, are the Albins dealers. They have been rebuilding and race prepping Polaris trans & difs for awhile now and have shown on their Instagram that they are building and race pepping the XX gearbox & difs.

Some of the improvements they are making to the XX is better bearings, shot peen & polish all the gears and shafts. And properly shimming. It was said they have not seen consistently in the shimming.

Don’t quote me but I thought it was pretty reasonable for a full race prep up grade and rebuild, minus damaged parts. $1500 for the trans & $550 for the dif.

Look up sean_at_weddle on Instagram. He’s got pictures video and info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome techman33. Here's my guidance, bring you car to the dealer where you bought it. Be professional, explain your situation, and ask them if they can present your case to Textron / Arctic Cat. Back in the day, Arctic Cat covered stuff that was a year or so out of warranty.

In hindsight though, this is why I always get an extended warranty. I try and tell members to get it too. For roughly $1K, for 48 months, it's nothing. For peace of mind if nothing else. Good luck, let us know what happens.
I lost my entire trans axle assembly including axles on my first day of running (67kms). That was 2 weeks ago this past Sunday. Still waiting on parts. They were showing here in Canada as on backorder but since I qualified under the new vehicle down program , that put them on emergency delivery or something. Parts are showing being sent out now, hopefully they will land soon. Like Hollywood stated, I purchase the additional 4 year warrantee at time of purchase. Im thanking god now that I did. O/A the videos on You Tube on axle replacement and Robby Gordons trailing arm adjustment video, I'm also going to do an "X" alignment measurement as well as checking the camber of the tires to hopefully correct this issue on the XX. Good luck with yours. I'll do a post on here once I get mine back together and get a proper run on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I’m a new member love the forum baught a new xx back in the spring took it for a ride on the weekand and blew my high gear unfortunately I have no warranty it’s just past the 6th month just under 2500 km my dealer exsplaind to textron and there not covering the repairs.when I baught the bike I had lots of clunking whren I put it in gear they said it was normal I feel that this is it the cause to the damage.
Bottom line would love to have this fixed once and for all.would like to know if any one in Canada that I can send it that specialized in fixing it planing on getting a turbo installed
But not confident that this transmission will Handel it

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
You have alot of good suggestions coming out over here.
I have never used them but I've been told good about them.
powersportnation.com has alot of used and rebuilt SxS parts for decent prices.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I suggest shipping it to Weddle. (that's where mine will go if/when I have any issue).
Done right. They have done a bunch of these...and are racing them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey guys I’m a new member love the forum baught a new xx back in the spring took it for a ride on the weekand and blew my high gear unfortunately I have no warranty it’s just past the 6th month just under 2500 km my dealer exsplaind to textron and there not covering the repairs.when I baught the bike I had lots of clunking whren I put it in gear they said it was normal I feel that this is it the cause to the damage.
Bottom line would love to have this fixed once and for all.would like to know if any one in Canada that I can send it that specialized in fixing it planing on getting a turbo installed
But not confident that this transmission will Handel it
Where in Canada are you from?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well that is not too encouraging as I am hearing some clunking when getting in gear sometimes.... I also have new vibrations that showed up hopefully they are not transmission related..... Worst part for me is to loose my SXS while the transmission is sent to Weddle.... A exchange program would be great!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m in the Gatineau/Ottawa area
Finally I decided to send it to the dealer as they assure me a prompt repair and they say they will do a thorough inspection let you know how it goes
I was hoping to find a rebuild company closer to me just curious how much mileage do you have on yours?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I’m in the Gatineau/Ottawa area
Finally I decided to send it to the dealer as they assure me a prompt repair and they say they will do a thorough inspection let you know how it goes
I was hoping to find a rebuild company closer to me just curious how much mileage do you have on yours?
We should go for a rip sometime, we are close. I'm in Rockland ! What is your name on facebook?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts