Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New wildcat trail rider. Got a 2015 with about 500 miles on it. Having issues with shifting once the unit has been rode a while. It seems that the primary clutch is sticking. Can change gears when hot but only after the engine is turned off. Have been doing some research on the forum and it seems like most think it is the primary needing replacement. i looked up a new primary and they go for about $450. I won’t mind changing it out but I’m worried that a new OEM part will have the same issue. Any light you guys can shed or advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks all

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Lots of threads on the problem. There is a few pictures of where to “sand” some material off the towers. Might be worth a try instead of replacing right away.

Reactions: DetroitDan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys thanks. Sorry for my delayed response. I saw the posts you are referring to. I was wondering if I start sanding the towers could I throw the clutch off balance? I was just wondering if it could do more damage?

thanks all

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
your not sanding a lot of material off, more smoothing and polishing. But technically yes you could throw balance off. Just take it easy and even.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
If you're worried about balance just sand the same number of strokes on each tower, but as stated above, you're not going to remove that much material

·
Registered
48 Posts
I personaly have sanded and resolved the sticking issue as have hundreds of others. This is very common and easy fix. you will not remove enough material to unballance the clutch. If you remove that mutch material youll have worse problems. you are going to use a fine file remove a little make 2 passes test make 2 more test. untill it frees up then once it does use 600 gritt paper to polish it back up and reassemble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Instead of opening a new thread with this exact same problem, can anyone link the pictures of where to sand on the towers or post the how-to from another thread? I cannot seem to find them after searching.

Long story short, I've paid the same place twice to fix this issue (including a new clutch/belt) and three years in a row it's done the exact same thing. My problem is exactly as described by the original poster.

·
Registered
48 Posts
not the best video. i would suggest joining wild cat riders on facebook and searching Nathan Bailey clutch his video is better but in order to watch it you need to be a member. Steps remove primary from machine, remove top plate 6 10mm bolts, remove the spring, pull outer primary sheave up. you will feel it stick on the slide posts. The surface it slides on is where you sand. there are 3 slide posts each one has 1 slide surface on each side of the post. That means you have 6 slide surfaces to polish/sand

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I don't have a pic but
The flyweights inside the primary run on rollers attached to the spider, they actually swing an arc between the towers.
There's a set of buttons on the fixed spider that the sheave slides slide up & down on, inside of the towers, you will see a slight wear where these buttons have been sliding, that slide spot is where it's is too tight in some clutches.
Here's a parts break down, expand the pic to make bigger & the line showing where the flyweight labeled #10, points where it goes in between the towers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey guys,

just to give you a update I sanded the pillars as mentioned and then baked the clutch in the oven to simulate the unit being warmed up. There was absolutely no sticking at room temps but at 220 degrees it would just barely stick. I assumed the spring pressure would be enough to overcome the slight sticking. Well we were finally able to get some riding in this weekend and I am thrilled to report that the sanding worked. I was able to shift smoothly after the engine was plenty warm and there was no creeping with my foot off the accelerator.

thanks to all!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
A note to the moderators
Is there any way we can put something like this thread with a "Hard Shifting" type heading in the "know issues" portion so it would stand out & make the cure that much easier for Trail & Sport owner that suffer this fairly common problem?
I know searchs work some of the time but sometimes if the wrong word is used you don't get exactely what your looking for.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

New wildcat trail rider. Got a 2015 with about 500 miles on it. Having issues with shifting once the unit has been rode a while. It seems that the primary clutch is sticking. Can change gears when hot but only after the engine is turned off. Have been doing some research on the forum and it seems like most think it is the primary needing replacement. i looked up a new primary and they go for about $450. I won’t mind changing it out but I’m worried that a new OEM part will have the same issue. Any light you guys can shed or advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks all
I currently own 2 2014 wildcat trails both have had same issues hard to shift once they were warm. My primary(drive) clutch was sticking. I just put very thin layer of grease on the towers. I emphasize very thin. You do not want any grease to fling around. On drive clutch I usually remove outer plate with 6 bolts remove spring Put grease on towers work clutch in & out several times wipe off any excessive grease. The grease is so thin when I put it on that it is transparent. Put everything back together & I have never had a problem again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts