Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered this skid from rockymountainatv.com they had a 10% off deal on tusk products. It's 3/8" uhmw. Skid is soooo much better than stock, it's really hard to believe. It uses the stock hardware(which i was missing a couple of that's why you'll probably notice different bolts in the pics) Install was easy, the holes all lined up perfectly. I actually had to straighten part of the frame out directly under the driver seat there is a fairly light duty member that runs at an angle from the center of the frame to the edge and it was pushed up about 1 inch from a tree stump. I don't think that same damage would be possible with the new skid unless you cracked it (not likely). I had to modify if slightly for the front section. The previous owner installed a plow and that mounting plate included a front section skid that covered about 2/3 of what the front section is covered from the factory. I believe this actually led to some of the damage on factory skid that the front edge was pealed down and packed full of weeds and mud. So because of this metal partial skid i had to trim the front section down and force it up above the lip on the back edge of the steel and then just use the 2 rear most mounting holes. I chose this skid for the price/value and feel like I made a good choice, 1/2 inch seemed like overkill to me but I won't be pounding mine on boulders and such, I know some guys will need that for sure. so for 360$ you can't go wrong with this guy.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Thats step 1. Now that you have that done either buy some aluminum diamond plate or more UHMW plastic and make some tub guards for the front firewall area and then cut that lip off that extends down over the skid, if you dont you will hook it when backing up and the front firewall will shatter. They are easy to build or you can buy a set from AJ (popular vendor on here and top notch guy). That 3/8" skid will do the trick for you, i made one identical from the same thickness UHMW and its been bombproof ever since.

·
Registered
340 Posts
AJ'S for sure. Look good, easy to install. 20141109_151022.jpg

Reactions: nebulater

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thats step 1. Now that you have that done either buy some aluminum diamond plate or more UHMW plastic and make some tub guards for the front firewall area and then cut that lip off that extends down over the skid, if you dont you will hook it when backing up and the front firewall will shatter. They are easy to build or you can buy a set from AJ (popular vendor on here and top notch guy). That 3/8" skid will do the trick for you, i made one identical from the same thickness UHMW and its been bombproof ever since.
Is it possible to get a sheet and cut one's own skidplated for under $400? Source?

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Is it possible to get a sheet and cut one's own skidplated for under $400? Source?
Sure is. I get my material through Piedmont Plastic. I know they have quite a few locations throughout the US so just do a search. Shouldnt be too hard to track down a 4'x8' sheet of UHMW plastic. If i can find it in this arse backwards town im sure you can find it in your neck of the woods or should i say sand. We are pretty far behind her when it comes to fabrication with newer materials so it can be like pulling teeth sometimes finding what i want without receiveing blank stares.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense about catching/breaking the lips. Do you find that you get more mud/debris on top of you skid after trimming the lips? It seems like they probably block a good bit of that?

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I never did trim them. I had intended to but havent slowed down long enough to zip them off. Mine are sandwiched pretty tight between my skid and the tub guards however the other day i noticed i must have hooked something and one side was mangled pretty good so time to cut it. I dont think it would add to the mud on the skid much more than it already is. I added extra drainage to the skid i made cause dirt use to sit in the corners and now its not near as bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts