Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to little sarah last weekend and my cat blew two drive belts and would only hold about 5500 rpms. fasted i could go was 40mph and it wouldnt back shift. the clutches looked fine. i checked the spark plugs. i replaced the fuel filter. still nothing. and it just went out of warranty. i was running the sti v-roll paddles. any ideas guys?

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Did you have the recall on your machine done? There was a possibility that some of the clutching ramps did not get machined properly..

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
went to little sarah last weekend and my cat blew two drive belts and would only hold about 5500 rpms. fasted i could go was 40mph and it wouldnt back shift. the clutches looked fine. i checked the spark plugs. i replaced the fuel filter. still nothing. and it just went out of warranty. i was running the sti v-roll paddles. any ideas guys?
Its out of warranty means you have had it for awhile...I know sand adds extra load but only pulling 40mph and you have not had a problem or noticed anything before now?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
you obviously have something wrong with your clutches, sounds like the secondary is jammed and not operating correctly. mine runs 65 in the sand 2 people. tear into the secondary, take it completely apart check it out with a fine tooth comb, i NEVER OPERATE IN LOW, NEVER BROKEN A BELT,,, sofar..

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Vrolls are pretty horrible in the sand on the Wildcat. You would be just as good with the stockers aired down. Otherwise look into some xtreme haulers. And I never drive in low at the dunes either.........

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
The reason I said drive in low more was because if he is maxing out high at 5500 rpm and 40 mph he was likely getting up on the belt. Surprise he killed two of them back to back. Low would get close enough to 40 mph without killing the belt. But what do I know.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dentless why do you say the v rolls don't work as well? I've run the at sand mountain and at Gordens well as well as pink corral. Set them at 5lbs and they run just fine have had no problems with them. climbed highway and patton as well as sand mountain. I was stock as they come when I did sand mountain. The other cats that were at sand mountain counldn't make it up on aired down stockers.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
did you ever find out what was wrong? i am pretty sure the 5500 rpm max was caused by engine bog due to clutch staying in the high gear end. which would also allow belt slippage,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry ive been away for the weekend. i havent pulled it apart yet but plan to this week and look at the secondary. as for the recall, it was just in and they had the primary off for the oil leak recall. i have had it for awhile but it only has 36 hours. i bought the vrolls because i was running the efx moto mtc's and i thought they may have been to heavy. i only ride this thing about 3 times a year and when i pay $16k for a machine i expect it to work longer than this. all this damn thing is, is a garage trophy. i do plan on clocking the secondary spring to the b1 location while i have it apart.

·
Administrator
27,995 Posts
Can I ask you were you in low? Or high, it seems like more people are blowing belts in low.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
He had to be in high. You can barely, if at all, get to 40 mph in low, and that's tacked out. He can only get to 5500 rpm and 40 mph. Also, your spring should already be in the b1 position. That is the stock position.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just got home from glamis, run the v-rolls and have great luck with them, seems if i run in 4wd the car revs and runs so much better. have nothing bad to say about v-rolls. All i can say is it is so much fun to run in the dunes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Belts are being blown because of being smoked when going over or against something that slightly smoked the belt, after that it will not last long, its a belt and needs to be taken care of and will last a lot longer. all sxs will blow belts, just watch how you run the machine. most cars after a race will replace the belt because they drove the shit out of it, so if you drive the shit out of it, it wont last long.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts