Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mounted a Vintage Air compact heater with defrost. Now I need to run the coolant lines and tie them into the system. Sidebyside Stuff sells a Heatercraft setup put together by Wide Open CO that has a Thermostat bypass: Heater Craft - Large Thermostat Adaptor Kit And they tie in there. Does anyone know which one that is? Heater craft sells them separately but there are two sizes and Arctic cat is not even listed.
Country Cat sells something but they don't seem to know what it is. HOSE,COOLANT-BYPASS-THERMOSTAT/ENGINE I emailed them and they are not to informed on what it even is.
Moto Alliance sells one but not listed for the Wildcat either: https://motoalliance.com/Site.Store.go?action=gotoProductDetails&id=1632
I like the idea of using the bypass so that you always get heat from the engine no matter what position the thermostat is in.

I also need to find a Y to tie in the return. I think its 3/4" x 3/4" x 5/8" I haven't cut into the stock line yet. Went to Napa they had nothing. I also want to put two valves inline besides the electronic solenoid just in case the core fails. Any suggestions on where to find a Y and shutoff valves. My heater line is 5/8"

The heater mounted up under the glove box. I just fabbed up a custom bracket. Tight fit to clear the coolant lines where they enter into the tunnel past the frame but it fits and should put out plenty of heat. It leaves plenty of leg room and this heater has nice 1/4" by 5" vents I mounted at the base of the windshield. One on the passenger and one on the drivers side.

Donny

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
We need pictures!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I would sure think that any auto parts store should be able to get u any and all fittings and shut offs Napa I know around my parts can and will get u them they might just have to get out their book and look them up but can for sure get them

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
They proper y fittings are a little hard to track down. I did some digging before and did find a place to order the proper ones but cant remember where the hell it was now. I wouldnt bother with a thermostat bypass, these rigs run hot enough that the t-stat isnt closed for long once you start it up. I did around and see if i can find that y fitting again.

Check this out
Y-Fitting 3/4" Radiator Hose to 5/8" Heater Hose - Universal Parts Inc. | High Performance Automotive Cooling | Humboldt, IA

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Look at the instructions for a prowler install and plumb it that way. Good luck, let us know how it works out. Im trying heated seats before i go cutting up my cooling lines for a heater.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information. I also found some parts. I bought a couple shutoffs from Amazon along with a couple Y's. Hope they work.
Wide Open Co does sell the Thermostat bypass separately for $80. Still contemplating that.

I will try and take some pictures this weekend. I already have heated seats and they do help allot. But since I am putting tracks on it for the winter the wife wanted to be a little warmer.
Soft doors this year. Maybe a Defender Cab next year.

Donny

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Thanks for the information. I also found some parts. I bought a couple shutoffs from Amazon along with a couple Y's. Hope they work.
Wide Open Co does sell the Thermostat bypass separately for $80. Still contemplating that.

I will try and take some pictures this weekend. I already have heated seats and they do help allot. But since I am putting tracks on it for the winter the wife wanted to be a little warmer.
Soft doors this year. Maybe a Defender Cab next year.

Donny
Id love to have tracks and a full cab on the trail but by the time i add that up its about the price of another new Trail. I think my heated seats will do me. I didnt find it bad last year with the front and rear windshields and no seat heaters plus the misses doesnt do winter so cant see her sitting in there until the sun shines again. I saw a heated steering wheel too but for 500 bucks ill pass and just wear good gloves.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the heater mounted with the switches. 3 speed blower. Defrost, floor, or both. See attached pics.
I was going to for go the thermostat bypass but after looking at where the Y would be located I decided I will order and install the bypass.
Donny
Wildcat 1000 Heater Install (1)sm.jpg Wildcat 1000 Heater Install (3)sm.jpg Wildcat 1000 Heater Install (7)sm.jpg Wildcat 1000 Heater Install (8)sm.jpg

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Are there any propane heaters available? Some semi-open European offroad vehicles had a gasoline heater. (Hafflinger)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heater is done. Works ok. I think I need to insulate the lines that run through the tunnel. The heat is getting sucked out of them. Around 20' of line. I was worried about the engine not putting out enough heat. I went for a short ride today to test out the new tracks, and watched the gauge. It ran around 170 to 185. So it seems good. The wife didn't complain about being cold and even turned her seat to low because she was so warm.
Here is a pic of where I tied it in at the engine. I used a thermostat bypass from Wide Open CO. And a Y off Amazon. I also added a couple extra shutoffs in case the core ever leaks.
I had to use 3/4" hose at the bypass due to the size of fitting. Every thing else is 5/8"

Donny
Wildcat heater connections (1)sm.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts