Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Wildcat 1000
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 wildcat 100 wanders all over the road when going down the road. My earlier 2012 cat was much more stable. One difference is this one has a spare mounted over the trunk. I'm wondering if the added weight higher up is the problem. Any thoughts on what may be causing this oversteer will be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Administrator
27,972 Posts
Could be a number of contributing issues. Steering box worn out (especially on a '12), steering shaft worn out, tie rods with excessive play, tire rubber separating, tire air pressure not the same in both, worn upper / lower a arm bushings (or loose bolts). You need to check all these.

Seriously doubt the spare is an issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2012 wildcat 100 wanders all over the road when going down the road. My earlier 2012 cat was much more stable. One difference is this one has a spare mounted over the trunk. I'm wondering if the added weight higher up is the problem. Any thoughts on what may be causing this oversteer will be appreciated. Thank you!
My first though, tow in or out, and tire pressure. I don't know how your rear suspension is set up but not towed in 1/8" is another issue. More or less can make your rig a bit squirrely.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Three things caused it on my 1000 Ltd over the years.

First time was simply tire pressure.

Second time was a bent tie rod in the rear. And it only got squirrely at speed on roads, so it was just enough bend to make it wander at 60.

The last and most evident wandering was caused by a right rear wheel bearing going out. Damn ball bearings fell out when taken apart. Obviously had not been maintained very well. That one was obvious before taking apart though, as you could rock the wheel ever so slightly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2012 Wildcat 1000
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your insight. It's been too hot here in Tucson to work on the problem but I'll check the things you mentioned.

·
Administrator
27,972 Posts
Thank you all for your insight. It's been too hot here in Tucson to work on the problem but I'll check the things you mentioned.
Yeah, I can 2nd that, LOL. I can usually last in the garage from 6:00 to about 8:30. By then I'm soaked in sweat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts