Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should probably have a spare tire and rim. I currently have 28x10x12 bighorn 2.0 on all four corners. the fronts are a little bit taller because the front rim is more narrow than rear rim. The question now is, do I buy a front or rear rim for the spare? Isnt there some sort of issue with one tire being taller if I put on a spare?

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
If the mis-match is on the front axle, you'll have tire scrub only when you lock the front diff. If you have a mis-match at the rear, one tire will scrub 100% of the time. That said, don't leave tires of two different heights on a real diff for a long period of time (a thousand miles?). Those mis-matched tires will be making the spider gears active full time, and diffs are designed for the spiders to come into play intermittently when you are turning. The diff will, at best, run hotter than intended.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the mis-match is on the front axle, you'll have tire scrub only when you lock the front diff. If you have a mis-match at the rear, one tire will scrub 100% of the time. That said, don't leave tires of two different heights on a real diff for a long period of time (a thousand miles?). Those mis-matched tires will be making the spider gears active full time, and diffs are designed for the spiders to come into play intermittently when you are turning. The diff will, at best, run hotter than intended.
so mayb to be safe I need to buy a front and rear rim? I guess I need to measure and see how big of difference it is. if I buy a front I know it will fit both front and rear but it will be a little taller than the rears

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I seen a steel rim (12x7, 5+2 offset) with the correct bolt pattern on ebay for just under $60. I guess it would be close enough the same size if I put a 28x10x12 bighorn 2.0 on it

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
so mayb to be safe I need to buy a front and rear rim? I guess I need to measure and see how big of difference it is. if I buy a front I know it will fit both front and rear but it will be a little taller than the rears
I would set it up with a spare that matches the rear. Flat at the rear? No problem, the spare is a match. Flat at the front? Don't lock the diff unless you absolutely have to, then unlock it when you don't need that extra traction.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would set it up with a spare that matches the rear. Flat at the rear? No problem, the spare is a match. Flat at the front? Don't lock the diff unless you absolutely have to, then unlock it when you don't need that extra traction.
That makes sense. I guess I need to make sure the rear fits in front without rubbing since the rim is wider

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a full set of wheels and tires for sale 500.00 they are like new 2 rides on them. Itp ss rims 14 inch and 28 inch big horn 2.0 tires. The fronts are 9inch wide the back are 14inch wide. One of them had a plug in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks but I ended up building a spare

1 - 8 of 8 Posts