Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
For you guys that had your water pump fail, what were the symptoms? I am having a overheating issue intermittently and to me it seems like the thermostat is sticking. The engine over heats when im in rough terrain and the rad is still cold.
seems like nothing is circulating to the rad. And the engine temp rises so fast it seems like it could be not circulating at all or air in the line.
any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That sounds like a water pump. if the radiator is still cold= no circulation. Speed sxs has solved the problem but its not cheap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yep, sounds like the pump. How many hours/miles do you have on your car? Curious as to what the average failure rate is. I bought the speed pump but haven't installed it yet. Once I do, I'll post about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep, sounds like the pump. How many hours/miles do you have on your car? Curious as to what the average failure rate is. I bought the speed pump but haven't installed it yet. Once I do, I'll post about it.
I had 2000 miles on the stock impeller with zero issues and going into limp mode twice before installing the Speed kit. They really can go at any time, under any driving conditions I have learned.
Is there a reason you have not installed yours yet? It is pretty simple.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had 2000 miles on the stock impeller with zero issues and going into limp mode twice before installing the Speed kit. They really can go at any time, under any driving conditions I have learned.
Is there a reason you have not installed yours yet? It is pretty simple.
Only reason is current car placement. I have it in an inaccessible area right now due to having my summer toys in use. Getting ready to switch from summer to winter soon then I will install it. How hard was it to get the clutches off? Any special tooling required?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Only reason is current car placement. I have it in an inaccessible area right now due to having my summer toys in use. Getting ready to switch from summer to winter soon then I will install it. How hard was it to get the clutches off? Any special tooling required?
You need a primary clutch puller. That is the only special tool. And a good, strong 1/2" impact. Many have had issues getting the primary off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi thanks for the replys
I ordered the speed waterpump. I will install it once it gets to me here in canada. I have just over 1000 miles on my xx.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just installed the Speed water pump this weekend. FYI, the directions kinda suck. They only explain on how to replace the guts of the pump and not much else. No torque specs listed so you will need to get the service manual or just guesstimate it. There is also a seal provided in the kit that isn't on their inventory sheet. Once I got the stock plastic impeller out, the seal looks like it goes on the back side of the stock impeller. When looking at parts schematics on various web sites, that seal isn't even listed. I think it comes with the impeller and shaft as an assembly. New one doesn't need it (I hope). Kinds scares me as I don't like to have left over parts. To do this job, here are some points I learned. You have to remove both rear tires and shocks. Water pump side is a no brainer but in order to pull the pump off of the engine you have to get the engine at TDC. So you have to turn the engine over and look at the alignment marks on the front/passenger side of the engine. Well, to do that you have to remove the RR wheel and the shock so you can remove the stupid ass cover that goes over the front of the engine and the alternator. Getting the clutches off wasn't too bad. The only special tool you will need is the Primary clutch puller. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just installed the Speed water pump this weekend. FYI, the directions kinda suck. They only explain on how to replace the guts of the pump and not much else. No torque specs listed so you will need to get the service manual or just guesstimate it. There is also a seal provided in the kit that isn't on their inventory sheet. Once I got the stock plastic impeller out, the seal looks like it goes on the back side of the stock impeller. When looking at parts schematics on various web sites, that seal isn't even listed. I think it comes with the impeller and shaft as an assembly. New one doesn't need it (I hope). Kinds scares me as I don't like to have left over parts. To do this job, here are some points I learned. You have to remove both rear tires and shocks. Water pump side is a no brainer but in order to pull the pump off of the engine you have to get the engine at TDC. So you have to turn the engine over and look at the alignment marks on the front/passenger side of the engine. Well, to do that you have to remove the RR wheel and the shock so you can remove the stupid ass cover that goes over the front of the engine and the alternator. Getting the clutches off wasn't too bad. The only special tool you will need is the Primary clutch puller. Hope this helps someone.
Did you already get it back together?

You 100% need that black and white seal to go onto the impeller/shaft assembly. Otherwise you will destroy the mechanical seal and piss coolant out of the bottom of the weep hole. I've done 3 of these now and would say I have it dialed. Please PM for any questions or concerns if you haven't had it together all the way yet.

Also, the bleed screw for the coolant system is not in the thermostat housing. That is not correct. It is at the top, next to the oil sump tank and next to the oil breather. Little 1/8" NPT plug.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you already get it back together?

You 100% need that black and white seal to go onto the impeller/shaft assembly. Otherwise you will destroy the mechanical seal and piss coolant out of the bottom of the weep hole. I've done 3 of these now and would say I have it dialed. Please PM for any questions or concerns if you haven't had it together all the way yet.

Also, the bleed screw for the coolant system is not in the thermostat housing. That is not correct. It is at the top, next to the oil sump tank and next to the oil breather. Little 1/8" NPT plug.
Thanks to Built4baja I pulled the water pump apart again to install the seal that goes behind the impeller because I didn’t know where it was supposed to be. Which btw is not listed on the parts sheet not any mention of it in the provided instructions. Granted, I should have looked closer and figured it out. Anyway, for those of you that want to install the Speed WP kit, here is a picture of the seal and the impeller. The seal goes in with the other side up. I just took the pic for a quick reference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks to Built4baja I pulled the water pump apart again to install the seal that goes behind the impeller because I didn’t know where it was supposed to be. Which btw is not listed on the parts sheet not any mention of it in the provided instructions. Granted, I should have looked closer and figured it out. Anyway, for those of you that want to install the Speed WP kit, here is a picture of the seal and the impeller. The seal goes in with the other side up. I just took the pic for a quick reference.

Glad I could help!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was planning on ordering the Dasa Racing impeller. It doesn't appear to include any seals. Does anyone have insight on this? Do I need to order these separately?

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
EWPs are so much better at cooling an engine than any mechanical pump, that I just can't comprehend spending $250 (plus seals) when $300 and a couple of weeks transit time from Australia gets you a Davies Craig 115 liters/minute electric pump and a digital controller to run the pump that, if you like, can also run the radiator fans. The 80 liter pump is more than enough for an XX, but there are better deals right now on the larger pump. The extra capacity isn't an issue - the controller will only run the pump fast enough to keep coolant temp at your target.

·
Registered
39 Posts
EWPs are so much better at cooling an engine than any mechanical pump, that I just can't comprehend spending $250 (plus seals) when $300 and a couple of weeks transit time from Australia gets you a Davies Craig 115 liters/minute electric pump and a digital controller to run the pump that, if you like, can also run the radiator fans. The 80 liter pump is more than enough for an XX, but there are better deals right now on the larger pump. The extra capacity isn't an issue - the controller will only run the pump fast enough to keep coolant temp at your target.
Just a learning curve, you write it all up anywhere?

·
Registered
39 Posts
U have to order the seals. I have been waiting 60 days for mine.
Ouch! was going through the countrycat site to locate all the part numbers, looks like that mechanical seal was backordered but available through other sites. Do you have a list of all the seals needed? Can't tell if I need to replace that rear seal if I'm not pulling out the gear.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Just a learning curve, you write it all up anywhere?
I haven't done this on my XX yet, as my factory warranty just ran out last month. I ran the 80 l/m version on my race car for many years, and I will do an EWP on the XX when I have the opportunity. We are getting ready to head out for our winter trip in 3 weeks, so probably not this year.

The Davies Craig website has installation instructions available. If you have questions after looking them over, I'd be happy to try to answer them. One tip: as you look over where to put it, try to position the pump so that the 90 degree turn between inlet and outlet is useful. Most people just slap a 90 on the outlet and splice the pump into a straight run, but as a racer, I hate missed opportunities for higher efficiency.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didn't trust myself so I have been waiting for the dealer to do it when the parts r in. I also got the dasa impeller.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts