Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, i bough my cat at the end of October this year and drove the 1st 150 miles in the desert/mountains. Awesome riding, other then blowing stock tires left and right.

Since Veterans day my wife and I have been at Buttercup in the Imperial Sand Dunes. After the 1st 50 miles of hard riding through the bowls (45-55 mph) I blew the 1st belt. it was a bitch cleaning up the clutches, but we put the spare belt on. After another 50-60 miles it blew again, but now in the side of a looses bowl where it almost was impossible to get the truck to (Ford F150 Raptor 6.2, lowered tire pressure to 10psi!!). This was a desaster!!! And i lost all my confidence in the WC!!!

But we towed it back to camp, placed a new belt, but now i ws almost affraid to go riding. Well, the only way to test things is to go and do t, so I went riding but stayed in "serviceable" areas around Buttercup Bowl. I must admit, I have driven the piss out of her!! simple big bowls at 55mph or hard soft sand climbs to almost stand still. She did do a good job. After 30 or so miles I went back to camp and tried Comp Hill 1 more time.... And oh, oh, i heard something, or so I thought. Limping it back to camp, opening up the clutch cover, we realised nothing seemed wrong and that the sputter was probably due to low gas. The belt was fine.

But looking at our situation, we decided that the main belt issue is overheating. We also decided that the clutch cover is there, mainly to keep water and mud out of the belt. Well, at the dunes there is little chance to get into water or mud, so I have been driving without a belt cover on for over a week now. And with another 300 miles on the clock WITHOUT breaking a belt, and no wear and tear from sand going into the clutches, we feel confident that we have the issue resolved: in the sand dunes take the clutch cover off!! BTW, TAZ cars are CVT driven and do not have clutch covers either, i was told....

But..... another issue seems to have risen: on the longer rides, or the more miles that there are on the vehicle, I seem to be bottoming out the suspension more and more. I still have them at stock setting, just the softness level all the way to HARD. This seemed to help, but the last few days i have been bottoming out constantly. Yes, I way 250lbs and my daughter maybe 85, but that should not be it. Does anyone on te forum have had issues with the Walker Evan shocks? I have 6 sport quads with Elka shocks all around for over 5 years now, I had a Prowler with long travel FOX shocks for 4 years and we NEVER ran into issues of shocks getting softer or wearing out. Does anyone know what to do with this?

I love my WC and the performance. But I do feel I need more low-end torque and quicker adjustment of the belt once the sand gets soft on higher speeds. The clutches dont seem to adjust fast enough to keep the RPM's up and change the setting. Again, anyone with experience?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Doesn't the clutch cover support an outer bearing on the primary clutch? Search for backshift issues on the forum. Seems clocking the secondary and changing the weigths slightly in the primary is the way to go.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
You CANNOT run the engine without the clutch cover because the clutch cover is part of the support for the ends of the shafts of the clutches. You might get away with it for short term but you are headed for a dramatic and costly failure.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Awful risky running without the belt cover. There is only one bearing now supporting that output shaft. I'd have a little less issue with that on, say a muzzy wcd setup, where the output shaft is hard mounted to the crankshaft and you now have the help of the crank bearings, but i still wouldn't run without the cover. That's what belt blowers are for. But to each his own.
Question. When you got done replacing the belt and went to remove the screw used to spread the sheaves, did they clamp right back together onto the belt or did they bind up? I ask, because i have run my cat with two different secondaries. The first one always clamped right up against the belt and performed noticeably better than the second one, which would bind up after removing the spreading screw. I had to rock the secondary back and forth to get the sheaves to close up on the belt. My cast wouldn't make it up certain parts of Olds where it made it up no problem on my first secondary.

·
Registered
426 Posts
That motor will not last very long with the clutch cover removed. Bad Bad Bad idea! Grab the primary shaft with no belt on it and move it up and down and watch how much play is in it. Keep riding with the cover off and that play become worse and then your wallet is going to have some excessive play in it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Also, I am the guy you talked to at vendor row over at glamis. I am quite certain that even the worst drivers would have a hard time blowing a belt as quickly as you were able to do, twice, so there is clearly something amis. You are right, heat is what kills the belt, but that usually only comes to a destructive level by way of belt slip. The only way the belt would slip was if it wasn't backshifting and stayed in a higher gear. You are a perfect candidate for a muzzy wcd and some secondary work from Airdam or Wildcat Willy. And do a search on here about belt blowers. I am confident that the only reason i didn't blow a belt last weekend even though i knew my clutching wasn't optimal was because i had the belt blower.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
You CANNOT run the engine without the clutch cover because the clutch cover is part of the support for the ends of the shafts of the clutches. You might get away with it for short term but you are headed for a dramatic and costly failure.
^^what he said..

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
rode with bodywerks halloween weekend with total stock cat for 3days at glamis without any problems xcept bent a arms and still drove it and kept up with everybody my clutch cover was hot and will be putting in the blower before next dune run

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
rode with bodywerks halloween weekend with total stock cat for 3days at glamis without any problems xcept bent a arms and still drove it and kept up with everybody my clutch cover was hot and will be putting in the blower before next dune run
I think that the biggest problem with all the inconsistency of the belts is the driver.. Not saying anyone is a bad driver but some guys seem to have a better understanding of how not to drive a cvt. I never had a problem with my stock clutch or belt but my buddy has had a nightmare of a time. After watching and listening to him drive I know why, he eases into the gas and when going up hills he trys to finesse it. Not that this is bad it just seem not to work well with WC. Riding together on the same dunes he has blown belts and not made hills that I have had no problem with.Yes the clutch is junk stock either way but some guys seem to be working around the problem alot better than others.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i have stock tires aired down to 7 psi and went everywhere in glamis, including all the big bowls with no problems. I installed the Wildcat willies blower and grill kit. Let me tell you its night and day difference. The engine coolant temp dropped 10-15 degrees, and the grill kit opened the clutch blower area to get cooler outside air. I recommend both mods. Its kinda scary to cut into your new toys plastics, but the kit is very nice and easy to install.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I think that the biggest problem with all the inconsistency of the belts is the driver.. Not saying anyone is a bad driver but some guys seem to have a better understanding of how not to drive a cvt. I never had a problem with my stock clutch or belt but my buddy has had a nightmare of a time. After watching and listening to him drive I know why, he eases into the gas and when going up hills he trys to finesse it. Not that this is bad it just seem not to work well with WC. Riding together on the same dunes he has blown belts and not made hills that I have had no problem with.Yes the clutch is junk stock either way but some guys seem to be working around the problem alot better than others.
That is all absolutely and totally BS. I have had 2 other Prowlers with a similar clutch setup and just drove the hell out of them all over the dunes for thousands of miles and never blew a belt. There are guys who ride with us that went out and bought an XP as their first UTV ever and ride them all over the dunes with no belt issues. If you have to baby or finesse a CVT clutch, what use would they be? Nobody does that. The Wildcat has belt issues. The Commander has belt issues. Not all of them, but a good percentage of them. Its not the driver, its the design, assembly, or poor engineering. But to blame a driver is pretty much idiotic. These things are designed for anybody to go out and drive. No special CVT skills required...........

·
Administrator
27,674 Posts
What should the nitrogen pressure be in the shocks?
I remember reading somewhere that the shocks should be 200 psi. I checked mine this last trip, one was, the other three were around 170, so I bumped them all to 200.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
That is all absolutely and totally BS. I have had 2 other Prowlers with a similar clutch setup and just drove the hell out of them all over the dunes for thousands of miles and never blew a belt. There are guys who ride with us that went out and bought an XP as their first UTV ever and ride them all over the dunes with no belt issues. If you have to baby or finesse a CVT clutch, what use would they be? Nobody does that. The Wildcat has belt issues. The Commander has belt issues. Not all of them, but a good percentage of them. Its not the driver, its the design, assembly, or poor engineering. But to blame a driver is pretty much idiotic. These things are designed for anybody to go out and drive. No special CVT skills required...........
I do tend to agree, with one exception. My buddy killed, and i mean killed me at the drags with his stock XP on 25" 7 paddle tires. There were plenty of other factors involved, but one thing he did that i wasn't aware of is he "power braked" his car at start up!! My first comment was you're an idiot. 20 minutes later his belt was in pieces and he was stranded in the dunes.
My point is drivers can be stupid and cause belt failures. But like i said, there is something amis with the lack of consistency with the Wildcat drivetrain.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Instead of getting into a pissing match with a skunk I will just state what I was saying. I said in my post that the clutch was junk.. thats no secret, and if you baby it is worse... What I was simply saying is that some people can make a belt last and some cant. If all Wildcats come of the same line then they are all equal, or within a small percentage of being equal then why are most not having a problem and a few are?? I have had 2 wildcat and I ride with the guy that bought my first one. I never had a problem with it and he has blown belts... What I was saying that if you slip the belt or your driving style is not "belt freindly" you will have more problems..To think some people are not harder on a belt than other is foolish, yes there is a flaw in the stock clutch but poor driving tendencies can make it worse!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Driver has everything to do with it. My buddies break axles all the time and I never have broke one. Its driver, knowing when to let out of the gas and when to stay into the gas. Same thing goes with the cvt clutch. Yes anyone can drive one but some that dont understand whats good or bad on them will blow a belt in a hurry. What do we know though? Our riding group that rides every weekend only includes 20 plus sidexsides of every make and model.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
The only belt I have burned up in my Wildcat was totally my fault, I tried to use high in a situation that I KNEW needed low, and on top of that i had already heated things up tremendously by repeatedly hitting the same climb with no cool down period at all. I have since installed a blower on my clutch but have not heard it kick in. If it does I know my belt is over 185 degrees and will allow it to cool. i am even thinking of installing a warning light on the dash in case I can't hear the blower kick in.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
But..... another issue seems to have risen: on the longer rides, or the more miles that there are on the vehicle, I seem to be bottoming out the suspension more and more. I still have them at stock setting, just the softness level all the way to HARD. This seemed to help, but the last few days i have been bottoming out constantly. Yes, I way 250lbs and my daughter maybe 85, but that should not be it. Does anyone on te forum have had issues with the Walker Evan shocks? I have 6 sport quads with Elka shocks all around for over 5 years now, I had a Prowler with long travel FOX shocks for 4 years and we NEVER ran into issues of shocks getting softer or wearing out. Does anyone know what to do with this? I love my WC and the performance. But I do feel I need more low-end torque and quicker adjustment of the belt once the sand gets soft on higher speeds. The clutches dont seem to adjust fast enough to keep the RPM's up and change the setting. Again, anyone with experience?
Check the stop nuts on the rear shocks for marks from the sliders going past the nuts. I read about this on the forum and when i checked mine and my buddies, 2 of the 4 wildcats had the sliders going past the nuts. The black plastic sliders are too big and too soft and over time they will slide right over the nuts. I made delrin spacers for mine and it works way better. I'll try to get pics and post them later.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts