Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in AZ and recently participated in the test ride that AC put on with a couple of friends. So you know, I have a Rzr S, my other friends have a Turbo Rzr S and a Rzr XP. We are really into the Dune world. Although the suspension on the WC is really incredible, we are concerned about the low end power. For the Mid West and East Coast riders, they may not need the low end torque that we need in the sand. After the test ride, we put the power between a S and an XP. I realize that the horse power (on paper) is slightly more than the XP, however you really don't need to go 75 Mph in the dunes. We would need to use the entire power band to go up steep sand dunes and get us out of problem areas. I would have hoped that AC would have put a bit more effort into the Clutch/Pipe, so they could offer more low end power than the XP. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
What you said is exactly opposite of what I would have thought. The low end is more important here in the south and the high rpm power is more important in the dunes.

For technical riding low end is all that matters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good question. For $18,000 it needs to have HP and torque to go along with that suspension. Everytime I ask that question all I get back is "the suspension is incredible". The overall car is incredible but without the proper hp / weight ratio its a deal killer for the big dune riders. I hope AC addresses this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, we need the low end as well. That is why sport quads and sand rails that ride in the dunes are not automatics.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Doesn't really matter how/where you ride, low end is very important. Side by sides aren't drag cars, they aren't meant for top speed monsters, so yeah, we are all hoping AC has addressed this issue. After driving an xtz 1000, I can tell you they are capable so I'm not sure why it wouldn't have more in production. But we have bet this horse to death in countless posts in countless forums, and all we can do is guess and hope.

·
Registered
186 Posts
How many HP is the Wildcat stock?

I would think that they would clutch a stock machine for all around performance. For most people that will be fine. If you want to maximize it for low end, high end, sand tires, mud tires, or whatever then you can start tuning the clutch to suit your needs.

Any time a new model comes out it is compared to other things already on the market. I am happy we have more than 1 sport UTV to choose from now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree 100%. Nothing better than a little competition to get drive improvements.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
No, we need the low end as well. That is why sport quads and sand rails that ride in the dunes are not automatics.
I suppose so but I find it puzzling that you mention "sport quad" and "low end" power together. Even sand rails seem to be high revvers. If low end is so important in the dunes why no diesels??????

·
Registered
186 Posts
maybe it depends on what you define as "low end". Are we talking low RPMs or low MPH?
I think low rpm hp is less important in the sand than high rpm hp. but you do want to get out of the hole fast, especially if you are drag racing. Usually drag racers raise the engagement rpm of the CVT for this reason.

HP = RPM x Torque / 5252

The higher the RPMs you can tune the clutch for, the more hp you will have.
This is why us sand duners usually like to tune the clutch to run just below the rev limiter when climbing a dune.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
maybe it depends on what you define as "low end". Are we talking low RPMs or low MPH?
I think low rpm hp is less important in the sand than high rpm hp. but you do want to get out of the hole fast, especially if you are drag racing. Usually drag racers raise the engagement rpm of the CVT for this reason.

HP = RPM x Torque / 5252

The higher the RPMs you can tune the clutch for, the more hp you will have.
This is why us sand duners usually like to tune the clutch to run just below the rev limiter when climbing a dune.
I am 100% with you on everything you said, thats why I was having a hard time understanding the other poster's need for huge "low end" because in my world "low end" means low end torque. In the sand it seems gearing will take care of your low end needs and then of course you want to get to max horsepower as fast as possible to peform the work of pumping sand.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Does anyone know what the stock HP and rev limit are on the Wildcat???
Same as the Prowler? what is it?

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Does anyone know what the stock HP and rev limit are on the Wildcat???
Same as the Prowler? what is it?
Nobody knows yet, rev limit should be 7700 (prowler is supposedly not even rev limited) and horses around 78 (latest CARB sheet) best info that I know of and thats not set in stone either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gang,

Looking at the Link on the Carb Table, it is not good news:

RZR-S 53 HP / 1,022 LB 0.051 HP/LB
Wildcat 78 HP / 1,305 LB 0.059 HP/LB
XP 88 HP / 1,190 LB 0.073 HP/LB

Average between S and XP 0.062 HP/LB

1 - 20 of 75 Posts