Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from round 1 of Dirt Riot. 16 utv's, 3 cats, 1 commander the rest rzr's.

The 3 wildcats all broke belts. All within 2 mins of each other and 2 broke in the excact same spot.

The facts:
2 had cvt blowers
One had a stock clutch, one had the D&P stuff, and one had Muzzy's wet clutch delete.
One had the blower and almost all of the ducting removed.
Outside temp was in the high 50's, and right after mine blew I touched the cover and it wasn't scalding hot. Infact with my thin gloves I could hold my hand on the cover for a long time.
One of the cats has been in around 8 races and been knocked out every time due to belt failure with the stock clutch, the D&P clutching and with the blower on both setups.
All using the factory AC belt
All exploded into a million pieces and the chunks of the belts where rock hard.

WHAT GIVES????

I guess I'll try a different brand belt and see what happens, cause nothing else seems to work.

On the plus side I qualified 2nd in a field of awesome drivers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is BULSHIT!!!! Stock cats are blowing these belts Arctic Cat should have to RECALL these machines 16K and you have to put a stupid blower on that wont help it obviously. Isn't there anyone on this forum thats a laywer that rides a cat, that can go to bat for us wildcat owners? I sold my wildcat just because of this problem and the oil leaks which my did neither cause I didn't have enough miles on it. I was seriously thinking on getting an X but I might just keep my money. I deffinetly not buying the first batch of X till I see what problems are posted on the forum.:mad:

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's very disappointing to hear. We are going to LS next month and this has been my main concern. I don't wanna drive 12 hours and deal with this. Probably just load the Pilots and keep the WC home. I feel for guys going through this.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is BS!!!!!!
I have no faith in the belt situation anymore, I'd never blown a belt till then and now I know without a doubt there is a big problem. These wildcats pretty much ruled out clutching and cooling mods, so what is the real problem????
My only real answer is the belt itself, so I guess I'll buy one from each of the manufacturers and report back.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I personally haven't had a problem with OEM, don't bother purchasing a EPi Extreme Duty. Never smelt belt burn until switching to EPi crap.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I personally haven't had a problem with OEM, don't bother purchasing a EPi Extreme Duty. Never smelt belt burn until switching to EPi crap.
Me niether untill I started racing. I'm plan on buying one of every brand and just go from there. Remove most of the ducting and possibly a snorkle or modded cover. It just really sucks that this is a HUGE problem with the cats and not a problem at all with the xp's. I was on my way to a podium finish and a couple hundred dollars in my pocket.

I'm just butt hurt and want a solution.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I had a lot of trouble with my belts at first. I then got the blower, still blew belts. I then got a muzzys WCD, still blew belt. I then had the update done at the dealership and haven't blow a belt since, including a race in hot weather in August at the Rally Raid.

If you guys havent had the update kit put on, you really need to. I race mine hard and Im pretty sure my belt problems have been solved. I also have a stock AC belt. I tried aftermaket belts and they sucked.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I am pretty sure I would have already sold mine if I had belts blowing like that.

·
Registered
731 Posts
what all is intailed with the update? what do they change?

·
Registered
889 Posts
what all is intailed with the update? what do they change?
The main thing for belts is a shorter alignment dowel for the wet clutch cover. Supposedly oil mist gets in the air due to poor seal from that dowel being to long and the oil mist cause slight belt slipping, that results in belt overheating and then the belt explodes into a 1000 pieces. Because there is a little oil on it, you wont even smell the belt burning.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm almost possitive that 2 have the updates. Mines a 2013, the one that blows a belt every race has had 2 engines due to oil leaks and a bunch of warrantee work so I think it has the updates.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Racing is not covered under warranty so why all the anger? Go buy a new car and drag race it and burn the clutch up in 1 night at the track then claim warranty? Just my .02 and trying to show another perspective.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Racing is not covered under warranty so why all the anger? Go buy a new car and drag race it and burn the clutch up in 1 night at the track then claim warranty? Just my .02 and trying to show another perspective.

Not always true, one of the other cats has been solely used for racing and he has had a bunch of warrantee work done. I never said I wanted anything warranteed, I want a reason or solution to this problem. Look at my other threads, my cat has been cut up and welded to more than most. I've never once taken mine in for warrantee work.

I love my cat and will do anything I can to fix this.

I'm mad because you can't argue with these results, it sure does suck being passed by 13 other utv's while 3 wildcats are sitting on the side lines for the excact same reson.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I even stated I'm going to buy different belts to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
redflametech was telling me about a belt he has that has a 1 year replacement warranty. forgot brand? sorry

·
Registered
889 Posts
I understand your point, but there is not human controlled clutch in these machines for someone to burn up because they don't know how to drive. We should be able to press the gas pedal all the way down and run the piss out of these machines and not have to worry about a belt letting loose every 50 miles. End of story. IF they cant make that happen, then these machines are garbage.

·
Registered
255 Posts
have you checked the belt alighnment ? belt and clutch thoughly clean before assembly ? are the engines idling hi as in the wet clutch is engaged an burning the belt in one spot in park then coming apart under load ?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
have you checked the belt alighnment ? belt and clutch thoughly clean before assembly ? are the engines idling hi as in the wet clutch is engaged an burning the belt in one spot in park then coming apart under load ?
Never checked belt alighnment, I will. Everything was spotless in mine when I put it together. Mine has a wet clutch delete and I never start it in park, always in neutral.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts