Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am going to start this thread as a question and will add with personal remedies as I find them. What are you planning to do to reduce the weight of the WC? It's my thought that putting this beast on a diet will gain us the biggest returns on performance. I plan to strip the cat down when I get mine and look for obvious areas to improve the power to weight ratio. The challenge that I can foresee is that there are 'necessities' to be added to the vehicle that will counter much of the weight savings, i.e. 5 point harness & mounts, light bars, t-handle etc.

Unsprung weight is the most critical, so I'll probably start with lighter wheels and, possibly minimum ply tires and then move to the chassis. For you experienced guys out there, what tricks do you know about lightening tactics? Thanks in advance!

Rob

·
Banned
441 Posts
Unsprung weight with the wheels and tires will be a big help as well as an aftermarket exhaust.Savings 50+ just to start IMO.Not a big fan of bolting on a bunch of stuff but a good set of belts would be first.:cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looking at the wildcat, it looks pretty lean as it is. Im betting most of the weight is in the chasis.

Exhaust, wheels should help some.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think it is going to be a challenge to reduce the weight of these rigs. Yes there is the bed delete but I trail ride and need room to care stuff. Yes you MIGHT gain 10-20 pounds with a new exhaust but with the restrictions on noise levels and such it is getting harder and harder to find on aftermarket exhaust that meets those restrictions. I know I am not in a hurry to add a bumper but I do want the mounts for the winch front & rear. Also looking at the rock sliders in aluminum of course.

See I know all about having a pig of a rig when you add all the body protection stuff and bumpers. My Jeep weighs just over 5,000lbs because of all the junk I have on it. So good luck in your diet quest and I hope you can find some things to reduce your weight.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See I know all about having a pig of a rig when you add all the body protection stuff and bumpers. My Jeep weighs just over 5,000lbs because of all the junk I have on it. So good luck in your diet quest and I hope you can find some things to reduce your weight.
I hear you. My originally stock Jeep JK 4-dr gained 2000 pounds after a 5.5" Rock Krawler lift, 38.5" Bulldog tires, front/rear bumpers & tire carrier and winch. Damn thing can't get out of it's own way with the lame V-6 mini van motor.

First thing I'm going to do to reduce unsprung wieght, is get the ol' lady to lose about 25 lbs:p
Funniest thing I came across today.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm with you all on the exhaust. Still getting used to the difference between MX and SXS, but the after market carbon fiber offerings are many pounds lighter and even offer AMA legal 92 decible sound compliance. I am reall hoping there will be some similar options available after a couple months. Never thought about the bed delete. Sorry Fido. No room for you.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I don't think there is much room for weight reduction on the WC.....I am looking at power gains and I do not think that it will be too hard to gain some with this engine. I think Adam at Airdam will be able to find some in the clutching and that is where I'll start.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Go read the post by Airdam is the General Section and the Top Speed thread. He is saying the XP's weigh more than on paper and that the Wildcat is being declutched due to lawyer restrictions. It is all good news and on top of all that he is saying give him time and he will have the clutches tweaked.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think there is much room for weight reduction on the WC.....I am looking at power gains and I do not think that it will be too hard to gain some with this engine. I think Adam at Airdam will be able to find some in the clutching and that is where I'll start.
I hear you on the Clutch. That is definitely in the plans. However, this thread is for ANY ideas on weight stripping. I'm sure there will be plenty of threads started on clutch mods and extracting power out of the 951cc. I'd like to focus on making this machine lighter and I am more than certain the experience and creativity of all us collectively, will come up with some great ideas. As I tear into mine, I will report back. I'll also weigh each stock part that comes off to compare to the aftermarket replacement where applicable. Power to weight ratio is the name of the game for me. I'm glad the word is the cat is closer to the XP than advertised.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
you guys crack me up, talking about shaving a few pound, and i bet most of you are overweight, start with your own body. remove bed, remove t handle remove, remove doors, lmao ...the bed, stock wheels, headlights next? add more power, go on a diet and leave the cat alone! you worry about weight but then throw a case of beer in the back? :trink4::trink4::trink4::trink4:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Pawn you are a little off camber most of the time but that brought a tear to my eye. I lived in Tulsa for 8 years and you just reminded me of quite a few people I met lol. Thank you sir.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts