Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in a previous post[few months ago] a guy was saying he welded up his sld up and it worked great but he would break something else,but the part was only 30 dollars and took 20 minutes to replace. at the time i had no idea what he was talking about untill mine broke.hoping someone can help or give me the best route to take.

·
Administrator
28,096 Posts
Well, I don't think you have a choice Kent. As far as I know or thought, Muzzy was the only one that sold the SLD. They just went out of business. Your only choice might be to weld it. Unless you know of some other manufacturer?

·
Administrator
28,096 Posts
ok thanks but no ideas on the part he was talkin about he would break after he welded it up
Probably AC's Spike Load Dampener. Take it out, and weld a bead around it. There are a few threads on it, do a search. You might get lucky too, and call a few of the bigger places and see if they have a Muzzy SLD.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
in a previous post[few months ago] a guy was saying he welded up his sld up and it worked great but he would break something else,but the part was only 30 dollars and took 20 minutes to replace. at the time i had no idea what he was talking about untill mine broke.hoping someone can help or give me the best route to take.
Are you referring to the basket that the sld is housed in (#26) or the SLD itself is slipping/popping?

Arctic Cat, Inc. » Parts[100040]/1|~100533/1|~100533|~0746-576

Wild Cat willies does a delete also:

http://www.dandpperformance.net/DP-...6&browse=-59863&shopBy=-20081&catalogId=-8966

·
Administrator
28,096 Posts

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Muzzy probably got it through them.

Try the link to the parts fiche again (i could not edit my last link)

Arctic Cat, Inc. » Parts[100040]/1|~100533/1|~100533|~0746-576

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Edit:

heat seaker why can i post that link off of AC's site with out it getting hacked?

·
Administrator
28,096 Posts
Edit:

heat seaker why can i post that link off of AC's site with out it getting hacked?
Not sure, it might be their software, blocking it? It worked for the D&P though.

·
Administrator
28,096 Posts
After sld is welded everyone breaks the drive shafts next and it's like a $60-80 part.
I think the breaking of the drive shaft is a conditions thing. I have no proof, or data, but I've have a Muzzy SLD delete kit since my second ride. None of the guys I ride with have ever broke the shaft in the dunes, maybe we're lucky, maybe sand is easier? I think it puts plenty of stress on the motor/drive line, don't have an answer though.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
TXChris had posted a pic of his SLD welded. From what I remember, he ground a channel lengthwise on both sides, then just filled the channel with welding rod. There is an aftermarket driveshaft that is much stronger, as long as you hit the Lotto! Just seems to me the more you strengthen parts, the more Murphy's Law insists you will find the next weakest link.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I welded my 2012 SLD and later broke a drive shaft... then bought the 'up dated'/later model drive shaft and never broke another... (I also did get a little smarter with the right foot around that time).

When my original diff started leaking oil and sounding noisy - I bought an entire 2014 diff and the SLD is much tighter and has never popped in a couple years of rock bashing. I'm pretty sure the later model SLD's are at least 20 or 30 percent tighter. This gives me a little bit of confidence that I can keep from breaking drive shafts cuz the dampener will pop at some point. :fingersx:

I still carry a spare drive shaft along with spare ball joints and tie rod ends and axles...

Reactions: blast

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
The delete that D&P performance sells is the Muzzy delete. I bought mine from them.

Reactions: Hollywood

·
Administrator
28,096 Posts
The delete that D&P performance sells is the Muzzy delete. I bought mine from them.
Thought it looked familiar. One of the parts Muzzy made well.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I doubt Muzzy made that part, they outsourced a lot. D&P should still be able to get it. When we have trouble with them (rare after 2013) we weld em and they hold up fine. Basket is never the issue.

OP if you actually broke something it was a drive shaft. PTL/SLD issues don't stop pulling you completely they just slip and make a loud ratcheting noise from the rear diff. Rock crawlers/bouncers break driveshafts. Average trail riders/duners pretty much never do. It is the shock of landing under throttle that breaks them, common with bouncers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.