Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be installing my Wet Clutch soon and figured it would be helpful (to all) to know how everyone is set up:
HP / Tires / Primary Weights (color) / Secondary / Slugged / RPM

Me - 160hp / 30" / 8 Grey / STM (not sure set up) / I will slug it / RPM TBD (will edit when I know)

What's yours?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Didn't think it was practical to run a wet clutch with a turbo.

Reactions: fastkatz

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe from talking with (many) others that it is the way to go for me. Less stress on the drive train.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I believe from talking with (many) others that it is the way to go for me. Less stress on the drive train.
Makes sense. I kinda wish I stuck with the wet clutch and just tuned it like you. Still could but then I'd have to sell the Speedwerx WCD which isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
We have 2 Cats both turbo, wet clutched and for the most part identical. BHP apx 120 @ 10psi of boost. We are running higher rev limiter @8200 this is important or we would hit the roof all the time. Our Cats rev out and hang @7600-7700 upon WOT.
2 seaters.
30" mongrels
28 gram Sliders not rollers
Lead slugged shoes. Lead from pellets melted and poured into holes of individual shoes of wet clutch. If I remember apx 11 pellets = 8 grams to fill each hole.
secondary spring helix etc all stock

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have 2 Cats both turbo, wet clutched and for the most part identical. BHP apx 120 @ 10psi of boost. We are running higher rev limiter @8200 this is important or we would hit the roof all the time. Our Cats rev out and hang @7600-7700 upon WOT.
2 seaters.
30" mongrels
28 gram Sliders not rollers
Lead slugged shoes. Lead from pellets melted and poured into holes of individual shoes of wet clutch. If I remember apx 11 pellets = 8 grams to fill each hole.
secondary spring helix etc all stock
AJs no longer makes/sells the sliders (lucky you!). I asked KMS (they make slug kits) about their brass slug kits. All 8 weigh 60grams so that's really close to your 64. Lead is about 20% heavier than brass, so i thought your slugs would weigh more.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah I know about the whole AJ"S thing. I think I msg'd you where to find the sliders. I cant quite remember the weight. It could have been 8 grams per slug and 11 grams of Lead added per shoe. It won't matter as long as you fill each hole to the top with the Lead then shave off any excess Lead protruding beyond the side face of the shoe. then make sure they all weigh the same. The added weight to the shoes should help.
The idea is to get the shoes to bite hard against the drum and the added torque from the turbo and equally weighted shoes so the force is well distributed makes this happen.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up using 26g sliders on a lead-slugged wet clutch. Max RPMs about 7800. Really like the smooth acceleration from a stop. Very pleased with the change back to WC.
I believe bblitz is using 24g sliders on a non-turbo X. Mine are 26g and Catmandoo is 28g.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What's the physical size of them, or a place to buy them? I have a standard 12 machine, stock pipe for now. I thought about the blue and green roller setup, but am unsure of what contract spring to use

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I'm running the same as you S n S with the exception of 8 greens vs the sliders , I'll do them the next time around. The 13 is on the fill with lead project for the weekend it sure makes a lot of difference :cool:

EDIT:

Forgot to mention I have a one way bearing in both machines for engine braking

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's the physical size of them, or a place to buy them? I have a standard 12 machine, stock pipe for now. I thought about the blue and green roller setup, but am unsure of what contract spring to use
PM me and i will give you contact info.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sand n sea do you run in the dunes or dessert. with your 12 I was going to do a WCD on mine what didn't you like about the WCD

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Curt, I run mostly desert with a few dune trips per season. I much prefer the slugged clutch over the delete. It's smoother from a stop with no noticeable difference beyond that.
I feel the WCD puts extra strain on the drive train and will hasten failure (i.e. Rear Diff).

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The WCD give you a better hook up, but not much. Stick with the wet clutch (with mods) and you will be happy

Reactions: Black Cat

·
Registered
2 Posts
The WCD give you a better hook up, but not much. Stick with the wet clutch (with mods) and you will be happy
Okay. I've got the stock setup, upgraded exhaust, tuner but can't get more than 64-66mph and on the trails it's very underwhelming. Not sure what to do with it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think 64/66 is pretty good for trail riding. Faster would probably have to do with where the belt is riding on the sheaves and your tire size

1 - 18 of 18 Posts