Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat 4X
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I bought my ‘14 X4 with the driver’s door latch MIA. The seller told me it had “stopped working” so he took it off and replaced it with a bungee cord. I asked him to scour his garage for the latch and he actually came up with it a few weeks later. After trying to refit it I discovered that the door frame had been bent. From the damage I felt that the door had likely been open and caught on something while the vehicle was moving forward. I could see a moment of brain freeze wherein you’d get out to move something or open a gate then feel like it was safe to go forward without closing the door and being bitten. But who knows.

Fast forward and I managed to straighten the door frame and repair all of the plastic so that it fit properly. BUT… the lock would just not adjust properly. After some careful measuring I determined that the A-Pillar was leaning back slightly so the distance between the door hinge and the latch was about 1/4” too tight. Adjusting the latch plate fully forward was just not enough and I didn’t want to bend the door (incorrectly) to fit.

Yesterday I put a 4-ton hydraulic ram to it and moved the A-Pillar so that the latch plate is now in the middle of its adjustment range and the door opens and closed like new.

So after that too-long story, my question is just how could that frame have been tweaked? Everything else is original and perfectly straight. Has anyone here ever tweaked a frame? Would plain hard driving do it? There are no signs that it was ever in an accident of any kind other that that driver’s door area having been out of whack.

Thoughts please?

·
Administrator
28,160 Posts
Simple answer - rollover. No offense, but how do you know everything is straight and original? I've seen SXSs with $10K - $15K worth of damage, and when they were fixed, you couldn't ever tell they had been in an accident / rollover. Similar to automobiles. A light rollover sometimes tweaks a frame. Buying used is always a gamble.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat 4X
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Certainly not offended. I asked for input. As stout as this frame seems to be I’d expect it to need a real impact instead of a gentile rollover, but I’ve never owned one so I’m asking here.

Luckily all of my measurements tell me that everything else is straight. The original owner was obviously not honest about the cause of the door damage. I’m just trying to figure out how far he stretched that truth.

·
Administrator
28,160 Posts
Certainly not offended. I asked for input. As stout as this frame seems to be I’d expect it to need a real impact instead of a gentile rollover, but I’ve never owned one so I’m asking here.

Luckily all of my measurements tell me that everything else is straight. The original owner was obviously not honest about the cause of the door damage. I’m just trying to figure out how far he stretched that truth.
Frame tweaking is an art, LOL! I've seen SXSs go end over end violently with "yard sale" parts flying off, and that was it. Replace plastics, good to go. I've also seen basically tip overs, yet they bent the frame. Doesn't make sense, but it happens.

As to owners selling stuff, they'll say anything to move it. Like the old saying "It was only driven by a little old lady on Sunday", yeah sure it was!

Reactions: raceu2
1 - 4 of 4 Posts