Wildcat Forum banner

What Brand of Winch do you like? And plan to run on your Wildcat?

• Warn

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Smittybuilt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Viper

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Milemarker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Superwinch

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other Brands-Post up with a name

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we are all just sitting around twittling our thumbs waiting for the Wildcat to be released. I know some of you already have other rigs but I am SXSless until I pickup my Wildcat in the spring so all I have to do all winter is think about all the stuff I want to try to do once I get my hands on one.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
You guys can keep the Warns, me and my buddies have had 3 of them break under very light use after only 3 or 4 pulls. They cost more and the case moves allowing the gears to strip, killing the winch dead. My Viper and the Vipers that my buddies replaced the Warns with have not had any issues.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TX,
If you were asking me about a winch on a Jeep and I wouldn't buy or run anything else other than a Warn. I have had Warn 8274 winches on my last 3 Jeeps. But this small ATV world of winches is a totally different ball game. I like everything I have read on the Viper winches. I am going to try out the Smittybuilt winch just for Grins & Giggles not because I know they are better or anything. If the Smittybuilt craps out on me I will try the Viper next.

Now the one thing I can say for sure is that no matter what winch I run I will always use synthetic rope now instead of steel cable. I switched to synthetic rope on my Jeep winch 5 years ago and haven't looked back. It is so much easier to handle and use. It can be repaired on the trail, won't rip the flesh off your hands, doesn't kink and bind up like cable will either.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I have nothing negative to say about the full size Warn winches, but have seen too many failures on the ATV size Warn winches. My buddies all use wire cable I use synthetic rope and will continue to use synthetic rope. You need to carry straps to go around things though with synthetic rope so you can hook to the strap and not the synthetic rope if there is not a spot to hook directly to.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Warn is on my Prowler...been there for 3 years....used often...rope...no problems.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Any of those not made in china?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think all of them have some parts made in China anymore even Warn. But I am not sure and don't want to get into a bashing debate about it. I know some people don't like imported stuff but it is a fact of life anymore.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have used warn for years with no problems, I have noticed however that the price has gone up on them considerably. Got a different brand on my quad right now and I'm not sold on it but so far it works. It's a KFI and by comparison with my warn's it seems slow. No problems though. Dog

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I Stay With What Ever Comes With It That Way If Theres A Problem Its Covered under Warnt.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I Stay With What Ever Comes With It That Way If Theres A Problem Its Covered under Warnt.
A winch doesn't always come with a SXS or ATV does it?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Most dont.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Get the 4,500 Viper with 3/16 or 3/8 Synthetic rope. Why pay for a Warn winch when your only paying for the Name?
Why 4.500? Because I don't want to burn out the winch. Plus, buy a pulley & chain to attach to a tree if needed!
Viper 4,500 Winch is $329.00

War-Eagle

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Thats what I use, a Viper 4500 with synthetic rope. It is very powerful, I have pulled Jeeps out of predicaments with it by bracing against a tree or large rock.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
War-Eagle long time no see.

I'll get the Smittybilt XRC 4.0 winch instead. It has a 4.1 HP motor with 198:1 gear ratio. Where as the Viper winch had a 1.8HP motor and 136:1 gear ratio. And that is the Viper 4,500lb not the 4,000lb like the Smittybilt. So for me the choice is pretty easy. And you ask about PRICE??? Well I found the Smittybilt for $119 at Smittybilt XRC 4.0 Winch, LOWEST PRICES on Smittybilt XRC 4.0 Winch I don't know how long the sale is going on but I think I am calling them tomorrow and buying a winch.
And for a more fair compairison you can get the Smittybilt XRC 4.0 with synthetic rope for $312 from http://www.xloffroad.com/smittybilt-98204-xrc4-winch.html

And if your going to use a winch either with steel cable or synthetic rope please use the proper gear. Always carry a truck protector (which is a 3-4' strap) to go around the tree so you don't hurt it. Do not use chain because it will hurt the tree too. And when the tree huggers see the damage to trees they like to use that to close down trails.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
War-Eagle long time no see.

I'll get the Smittybilt XRC 4.0 winch instead. It has a 4.1 HP motor with 198:1 gear ratio. Where as the Viper winch had a 1.8HP motor and 136:1 gear ratio. And that is the Viper 4,500lb not the 4,000lb like the Smittybilt. So for me the choice is pretty easy. And you ask about PRICE??? Well I found the Smittybilt for $119 at Smittybilt XRC 4.0 Winch, LOWEST PRICES on Smittybilt XRC 4.0 Winch I don't know how long the sale is going on but I think I am calling them tomorrow and buying a winch.
And for a more fair compairison you can get the Smittybilt XRC 4.0 with synthetic rope for $312 from Smittybilt 98204 - XRC4 Winch; 4000 lb.; w/Synthetic Rope

And if your going to use a winch either with steel cable or synthetic rope please use the proper gear. Always carry a truck protector (which is a 3-4' strap) to go around the tree so you don't hurt it. Do not use chain because it will hurt the tree too. And when the tree huggers see the damage to trees they like to use that to close down trails.
I have not seen the Smittybuilt winches on ATV's and UTV's this winch sounds awefully good may have to try it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TX,
I just found out that Smittybilt was building ATV winches about a month ago. I like the specs on it too and will try one out. I need to check and see how much rope is because it might just be cheaper to buy the XRC with steel cable and buy rope myself. Either way it is a good price.

And hey that is what we are here for, to help eachother out and share deals when we find them.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Im really interested to see what this thing is gonna look like with a winch hanging off the front.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
A winch doesn't always come with a SXS or ATV does it?
Your Right But When You Order It With Your SxS Its Under Warnt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts