Wildcat Forum banner

861 - 880 of 901 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
You probably don't want to read this, but the exact same Walbro pump is less than half of that from Quantum (WAL-PPN18). They also have fuel pressure regulators and filter socks.

I did know about that but being on a timeline getting ready for a ride and lots to do pushed the easy button and just got the drop in unit.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Installed a new throttle body today.
Every once in a while the throttle would go dead for just a moment. It finally did it long enough for me to catch a code.
P122. Throttle position sensor. So changed out the whole unit. Ran good on the test drive. We shall see.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Installed a new throttle body today.
Every once in a while the throttle would go dead for just a moment. It finally did it long enough for me to catch a code.
P122. Throttle position sensor. So changed out the whole unit. Ran good on the test drive. We shall see.
...you changed the whole throttlebody just because of the TPS ?? :- ()

btw- WHY they now look different ??

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
There is a very small difference in the TB casting from 2015 to the replacement I bought last year. One area that was formerly solid aluminum is now hollowed out. It probably makes the casting 5 cents cheaper. Otherwise, no changes.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Back from a fun Ocotillo Wells trip. Burnt a belt (fixed) and later broke the left trailing arm bolt. Had to hammer the bracket back in place and put in a spare bolt (fixed). Will refit grade 8 fine thread on both sides. Cat was fun otherwise. Good times.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Do you recall the diameter of those bolts? An 8mm is .060" smaller than 3/8", a 10mm is .044" smaller diameter than 7/16" and a 12mm is .028" smaller than 1/2". You could drill out the sleeves & brackets and use AN bolts with the correct shoulder length. That way there are no threads running through the brackets, slowly chewing away the bracket material as the machine vibrates.

I don't remember the rough equivalency between AN and Grade X bolts, but I do remember that they are way more ductile than a Grade 5 or Grade 8 and will bend where those will break. Sounds like that might have been a good feature on your trip! Replacing the trailing arm bolts with AN is on my list of stuff to do when we get home from our current trip.

I used AN on all the suspension fasteners on my race cars and never had a failure. I buy mine from Aircraft Spruce or Pegasus Auto Racing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Washed off a little mud from our ride through the Muggins Mt. area. No dust.

·
Registered
939 Posts
The bolts are 12mm (dia) x 1.25(thread) x 100 (L). They are the metric equivalent of grade 8. There are past posts on this bolt failure. Checking that they are tight is important as the hardness makes them strong yet susceptible to impact shear. Mine must have had play and the trailing arm bracket has pounding it like a hammer over the whoops.

·
Registered
507 Posts
60 degrees at Sand Hollow today. Wildcat ran great!

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
...you changed the whole throttlebody just because of the TPS ?? :- ()

btw- WHY they now look different ??
Crazy I know. here was the thought process.
1. I am not a mechanic. So the science, operation and trouble shooting of these parts is above my pay grade.
2. It is a huge pain in the ass to remove everything that I have added to the machine plus the stock part to get the the throttle body. 3 or more hours.
3. With 4500 miles on the machine I didn't want to have to go back in if the first sensor didn't fix the problem.
4. At one time or another members here have had issues with the throttle position sensor, the Idle speed control and or the T-map sensor.
5. For the price of each of those 3 items separately you can get a complete new throttle body.
6. This one tipped the scales. Parts list shows a new part number for the throttle body. It must be better, Right?
So that is how a wildcat owner spends $300.00 to fix a $100.00 problem. :)
Went out on a good ride yesterday and the old cat runs better than ever. Money well spent.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Called off at work today so made a quick run over to Sand Hollow. It rained last night. Really makes the red rock even more striking.

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Baby needs new shoes!
I put over 3000 miles on the tensor regulators and they have been a great tire.
Thought that I would try something different this time.
Tusk Terrabite 30x10x14.
A lot like the tensor but with deeper lugs and a rounder profile.
Got them mounted up and they look great. Looking forward to putting some miles on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
More info please!

·
Registered
15 Posts
8" Raceline Mamba Beadlock rear wheels (it had 10" wheels on it, didn'tl ike them). New Ultracross R series rubber to go on the wheels. High Highlifter lower radius arms. Quadrax spare tire carrier. Tinted half windshield. Fire extinguisher and mount. De Anza lower door panels. Pro Armor harnesses. And a few odds and ends.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Nice shopping list!

·
Registered
15 Posts
...looks great! which size r the ultracross? ...hope u got the 12mm bolts in rear since their heavy!
OMG how ironic. I literally just finished placing an order for 12mm studs & lugs not more then 10 minutes ago. I couldn't beleive how delicate and soft the stock studs and lugs were when I swapped the tires.

The Ultracross' are 30".

861 - 880 of 901 Posts