Wildcat Forum banner
921 - 940 of 975 Posts

·
Registered
AC WC X LTD, Dragonfire harness, snorkel, 5k winch, Bad Dawg box, AJ Tubguards, billet door latches
82 Posts
Met up with mbrant and we went on a 75 mile tour of the Arizona Strip. Which means we covered one small area of the Strip. Good weather, great trails, beautiful scenery and mbrandt and his wife are great to ride with! Look forward to the next time they come to town. The old Wildcat did good and we didn't have any problems. When you are busy and don't get out, you try to put it out of your head how much you miss it. After a couple of days of good riding its a reminder of how much fun and enjoyment there is being out with good friends tearing up the desert! I am ready to go again!
Thanks guys!
Thanks for sharing your adventure ... soooo lucky to have such beautiful scenery!

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
I was never a Boy Scout (Be Prepared), but I did learn a lot about recovering from a problem as an amateur road-racer. We go out hoping for a good ride, but helping someone get back home after having an issue gives me the same boost.

AZStrip knows the trails and the history of the area to such an extent that we have told him he should be a "for hire" guide. We have loved both of our visits to Sand Hollow, and he and his lovely wife have had a lot to do with it.

PS - the transfer pump he mentioned is all of $8 at Harbor Freight. I carry one just in case someone runs low on fuel on a long ride, but it sure worked nice getting oil into his X!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
great stories- nice to see the wildcatriders come together! would love to join you...but it takes around 12 hours of flight and a lot of money to do so...and the covid sh.t doesnt make it easier!! ....one day...maybe...greets over the ocean pete

·
Registered
178 Posts
looks like a lot of fun

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sand Natural environment Aeolian landform Landscape Soil

The weather was so nice today I had no choice but to head over to Sand Hollow.
Double Sammy trail. I was alone so no spotter, no bypasses. The OG Wildcat X did good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I put oil in because my oil filter backed off and puked 2.5q of oil on the road 2 hours from home. I had to leave it at a gas station while I went and got my truck and trailer. I thought I blew the engine. One degrease soak and wash later it's running good as new.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Traded our '15 X Ltd today. I really enjoyed our X, but early endings to two consecutive trips to the Southwest pushed me over the limit. I put it back to stock and got $7900 trade in on a $19k 2019 XX Ltd with 2 miles on the odo. Bought 4 years of extended warranty, so having it break on the road and needing to head back home to repair it should no longer be a thing.

I feel you there I had a bolt back out of the upper ball joint, the oil filter back off and spew it's oil on the road side. I have a feeling my buddies are going to say bring your Pioneer or don't come if I have one more thing go wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
I put oil in because my oil filter backed off and puked 2.5q of oil on the road 2 hours from home. I had to leave it at a gas station while I went and got my truck and trailer. I thought I blew the engine. One degrease soak and wash later it's running good as new.
The cam turns on "plain" bearings machined directly into the aluminum castings on the H2 engine. I'm pretty sure those bearings on the rear (upper) cylinder go dry first when there is an oil problem, so if you pop the upper cylinder head casting off and the bearings look good, you dodged a bullet. If you see any scuffing or scoring, put the motor on the correct timing mark and remove the cam to inspect the other half of the bearing surface.

You will need to reset the valve lash if you do this, just in case the top casting doesn't seat exactly as it was before you inspected the bearings.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The cam turns on "plain" bearings machined directly into the aluminum castings on the H2 engine. I'm pretty sure those bearings on the rear (upper) cylinder go dry first when there is an oil problem, so if you pop the upper cylinder head casting off and the bearings look good, you dodged a bullet. If you see any scuffing or scoring, put the motor on the correct timing mark and remove the cam to inspect the other half of the bearing surface.

You will need to reset the valve lash if you do this, just in case the top casting doesn't seat exactly as it was before you inspected the bearings.
i'll take a look at that. I hope I caught it in time I saw a white cloud behind me pulled over within 50 feet and it looked like majority of my oil came out when I parked it to inspect what went wrong the road was a little wet behind me. I was on a slight downhill slope.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Snorkeled it, adjusted the valves the intake valves were severely out that was my valve rattle at 4500rpm, changed the belt and spark plugs. I found when Bass Pro did the tune up for me when I bought it they finger tightened the spark plugs the crush washers are shiny chrome and still bubbled. She purrs like a kitten and zero valve rattle. Next is to mount the arctic cat/vision x firebar 36, led whips and Rigid 10in either spot or hyper spot to the front TBD beam pattern it hasn't been bought yet. Figure out a 2nd battery I have an isolator purchased for the 2nd battery.

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Even a properly functioning tank vent can allow gas out the vent hose if you like to fill the tank to the brim (I'm guilty of this), and then drive hard (which makes a lot of heat) or climb a steep hill before burning enough gas off. I added a fuel filter to the upper portion of the vent line. It doesn't help the vent function any better, but it holds a lot of gas compared to just the vent line, and masks the problem. The fuel gets returned to the tank instead of spilled, and any air vented in is filtered, so win-win.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Even a properly functioning tank vent can allow gas out the vent hose if you like to fill the tank to the brim (I'm guilty of this), and then drive hard (which makes a lot of heat) or climb a steep hill before burning enough gas off. I added a fuel filter to the upper portion of the vent line. It doesn't help the vent function any better, but it holds a lot of gas compared to just the vent line, and masks the problem. The fuel gets returned to the tank instead of spilled, and any air vented in is filtered, so win-win.
I was down two bars and the group I was with thought it was excessive heat we were ripping it in 4wd through the thick sand. I let the bike cool down at our camp site then hit the trails it wouldn't stop building pressure to the point the cap flew out of my hand. I rode the rest of the day with it loose.

921 - 940 of 975 Posts