Wildcat Forum banner

221 - 240 of 256 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
No pics until it has been modified at least a little. Anyone wanting to know what it looks like right now can go to the factory pics.

I want to add side guards/sliders and of course it came with bumpers. I think I'll paint the bumpers and side guards something other than satin black. Either silver, to match the OEM graphics, or maybe red, to give it a splash of color. I'll be re-installing the red 6 pt harnesses I removed from the X, so at the moment I'm leaning towards red. Also because I have a gallon of red paint & hardener left over from the race car and I'm cheap!

Please do not suggest AC green.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Made my first repair, at 3.2 miles: the electrical device (voltage regulator/rectifier?) near the right rear wheel was close to falling off. I had noticed a rattle and was checking all of the flat panels around the engine and exhaust. An XTR1000 that I drove a couple of weeks ago had a similar rattle. I wonder if someone is skipping a step at Thief River Falls?:)

·
Premium Member
7,513 Posts
due to not being able to find face masks anywhere in the tampa bay area we've purchased something to use here and with our xx upon our return to colorado (whenever that will be)...color coordinated as well with our xx...feline model is extra...a local area swimsuit mfg has started making these for folks in multiple color configurations...

·
Registered
70 Posts
It seems alot of people think like you do. I can't see how dirt, sand or water will get past the o-rings. They are smashed tightly between the two spacers. Without a little grease of some sort the o-rings will destroy themselves, letting in more than you know. Mine were starting to at about 800 miles. I can't stand squeaks, rattles, knocks or bangs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It seems alot of people think like you do. I can't see how dirt, sand or water will get past the o-rings. They are smashed tightly between the two spacers. Without a little grease of some sort the o-rings will destroy themselves, letting in more than you know. Mine were starting to at about 800 miles. I can't stand squeaks, rattles, knocks or bangs.
haha. Speaking to an engineer who works for the company that designs the shocks for these cars.... the O Rings are a consumable wear item that should be replaced at about every 1000-1500 miles. We lube every seal and o-ring on our shocks EXCEPT external ones.

Your last sentence is comical in the off road world.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I get it. These o-rings are 98% covered by the spacers and squeezed on pretty tightly....I'll take the slight chance.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I've been busy setting up our new XX Ltd to be street legal. I checked WA state requirements, and front turn signals are allowed to be white or amber. I would anticipate most states would be the same, since very few cars from my youth had amber front turn signals. I used a 3 wire to 2 wire trailer light converter to merge turn signals with the LED "accent" lights. I decided to get a "real" horn rather than the anemic beep our X had and installed it on the OEM tool kit bracket after cutting away a portion. The 3 wire to 2 wire adapter is just to the left of the horn. The universal turn signal stalks look clunky to me. I opted for a rocker switch, but couldn't time my pic to show the illuminated arrow. I gave up after 4 tries. If anyone wants to adapt the OEM lights, I can provide wire colors, etc.

IMG_1215.JPG IMG_1208.JPG

I kept our PRP seats, and the color scheme I had chosen for the X goes perfectly with the XX Ltd:
IMG_1218.JPG

The glass windshield enclosure that will be installed next fits pretty snug to the roll-over structure, and I didn't really want to cut notches across the top for a rear view mirror. Since the front part of the ROPS comes off relatively easily, I removed it and brazed a mounting plate for a rear view mirror. I have an ebay salvage mirror on the way with auto-dimming, compass and map lights ($35). It also has the OnStar buttons and I intend to have some fun with Polaris and Can-Am owners asking why AC is the only mfg offering it. I also have 1.5" shrink tubing coming (Amazon). I'll run the wiring for the mirror and radio antenna up the front side of the center supports, then cover it with the shrink tubing.

IMG_1210.JPG

·
Registered
145 Posts
There is so much to choose from between Utah and Arizona....the summer heat can suck though.

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I can drive north about 45 mins and be about 6000 ft, with cooler temps. But I normally stay here at Sand Hollow/ Hurricane, Utah (3000ft), with summer temps as high as 110F. I will drive early AM and then head to the lake.

221 - 240 of 256 Posts