Wildcat Forum banner

241 - 260 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
I live by the airport in Pinon Oaks, PM me and we can go for a ride, went up off Senator highway last weekend

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Dean said pics are req'd about a month ago. I declined, since it was bone stock at that time. Today the XX is clean and the sun is out, so here goes:
DSC02164.jpg DSC02157.jpg DSC02163.jpg DSC02161.jpg DSC02158.jpg
The windshield and roof are from UTVZilla. Back window is AC. I "designed" the seats for our X Ltd, but darned if they don't look terrific in a '19 XX Ltd. I scored a refurbished Rugged RM-60 radio that looks brand-new at a huge discount. Since we ride with headsets or wired helmets, I pulled the SSV stereo (already sold). I think I'm going to hang on to the half windshield for trips to the dunes, but if anyone wants the Deluxe bimini top (a big portion of the roof zips out for a sunroof), I'll try to save you some $$. I say "try" as shipping could be enough that I would have to nearly give it away. If the Black Hills clowder happens, I could bring it to SD.

I had pictures of the passenger seat base that I built, but I've misplaced that camera. I added the cleats, post and latch that most of the Wildcats use for their seats, and which are used on the driver's seat on the XX. The seat base needs some refinement, but I accomplished the goal of having easily removable seats for trips to the car wash. If anyone is interested, I can take more pics of how I accomplished this. Other than cutting a small portion of the plastic floor away, it is a bolt-in solution.

Another mod that I'm quite happy with is the rearview mirror:
DSC02162.jpg
In addition to the compass, there are reading lights on the bottom of the mirror. It also automatically dims, but the compass and map lights were the main objectives. These mirrors normally mount to a shoe that is glued onto the windshield glass. I welded a bar between the two center braces and brazed the shoe to the bar. Very secure.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nice! There are times that I wish I had a full windshield. Now that it is warmer, not so much.
I think I have the same seats and I'm working on getting them to sit higher. I'm going to try the PRP rails and see if they help.
Good idea with removable passenger seat.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Very nice looking ride. I too like the idea of an easily removable passenger seat a few pictures and a quick how to would be appreciated. I like the looks of the rear bumper who makes it. Happy trails enjoy!

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
great lookin' rig there mark...love the lines using the red highlight touch of the bumpers/rock guards...i'm always in favor of more pics if you have them...you dun gude mark!...but what else would we have expected from you?!...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm rear heavy with turbo, spare, tools and radiator. I need a rear bumper, but don't want to add the weight. So I was thinking of not carrying a spare and hope beadlocks will let me limp back, if patch kit doesn't work.

Thoughts?

BTW, those side rock guards work pretty good. I have banged them up pretty good without damaging side panels etc. I powder coated them recently or they would have battle scars.

I had the same front bumper. It saved my front end when I hit a bolder. I switched to a bad dawg bumper because it was slimmer and protected the same points.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Wayfer, those are the OEM bumpers & rock guards.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So I was out yesterday and got beat up a bit. 1st I had issues with limp mode at least 4 times, with no code. My cooling was perfect all day, even though it was about 90 degrees F out. This issue appeared to be fuel related. So I probably have a pump or a filter issue.

Later I pinched a sidewall at the same time that I hit a boulder partially hidden by a berm. My front right a-arm bounced over the top and high centered that corner. I got out of the rig and assessed the damage while watching the rear tire leak out. 3 of us lifted the front while pulling with another UTV from the rear and got it off the rock. This is the second time I've hit a rock with these a arms with no damage other than paint- I don't think many other rigs would have been able to do the same. Both of the rocks I hit were huge and unmovable. I did get a little lucky both times with the shape of the rocks. If they would have had flat impact faces, I'd be screwed. I was also able to slow down enough both times to limit the hit. But still yet, it was down right amazing results.

So we patched the sidewalls and hit the trails again only to have the tire leak out one more time. I don't carry a jack, so we used a blowup bag to lift the rig and install the spare. The bags air-up off of the exhaust. This was the first time I've used one. The tricky part is that my XX wanted to lean away off of the bag, so someone had to steady it. Some of this was probably due to the long travel kit and the height of my X. So this is a 2 man job at least.

My spare was the original 30" tire and I should have spent the money to put a 32 on it. It didn't matter in the dirt, but on the asphalt the transmission hated it because of the size differential on rear the corners. I only had to drive 2 miles on the highway to get back to the casa, so maybe no damage done.

I also learned to carry a small allen wrench to remove the wheel cap. Since I couldn't remove the cap, I couldn't use the anchor tool for the bed that locks the spare down. We found out real quick that the strap we used was deficient, the tool bag on top of the tire jettisoned within a few hundred feet and the guys behind us picked it up. We stopped when we saw the rear tire jumping out of the back.

It was a crazy day, but at least I found out that my plan B tools mostly worked. All in all, we still got a 4 hour ride in.

·
Registered
180 Posts
BTW, I think I just answered my own question about not carrying a spare. A patch kit didn't work and it would have been really painful limping back on a flat that far out.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
If my spare didn't match the diameter of my other tires, I would always put it on the front. There is no diff at the rear - it's a spool.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Dean said pics are req'd about a month ago. I declined, since it was bone stock at that time. Today the XX is clean and the sun is out, so here goes:
View attachment 251286 View attachment 251290 View attachment 251286 View attachment 251288 View attachment 251289 View attachment 251287
The windshield and roof are from UTVZilla. Back window is AC. I "designed" the seats for our X Ltd, but darned if they don't look terrific in a '19 XX Ltd. I scored a refurbished Rugged RM-60 radio that looks brand-new at a huge discount. Since we ride with headsets or wired helmets, I pulled the SSV stereo (already sold). I think I'm going to hang on to the half windshield for trips to the dunes, but if anyone wants the Deluxe bimini top (a big portion of the roof zips out for a sunroof), I'll try to save you some $$. I say "try" as shipping could be enough that I would have to nearly give it away. If the Black Hills clowder happens, I could bring it to SD.

I had pictures of the passenger seat base that I built, but I've misplaced that camera. I added the cleats, post and latch that most of the Wildcats use for their seats, and which are used on the driver's seat on the XX. The seat base needs some refinement, but I accomplished the goal of having easily removable seats for trips to the car wash. If anyone is interested, I can take more pics of how I accomplished this. Other than cutting a small portion of the plastic floor away, it is a bolt-in solution.

Another mod that I'm quite happy with is the rearview mirror:
View attachment 251291
In addition to the compass, there are reading lights on the bottom of the mirror. It also automatically dims, but the compass and map lights were the main objectives. These mirrors normally mount to a shoe that is glued onto the windshield glass. I welded a bar between the two center braces and brazed the shoe to the bar. Very secure.
View attachment 251286
Congratulations Mark! Super nice ride. I can only imagine the long talks you had with yourself before making that decision. I think you made the right one. Enjoy!

·
Registered
68 Posts
With a spare tire and Home Depot storage box, the view out the back was blocked. So I installed the LeeKooLuu rear view camera system. Mounted the camera to the box and had a second camera already that I mounted lower. I don't do rock crawling so no need for a front facing camera at this time. The upper camera stays on all the time and I can trigger the lower camera with a switch. The monitor also places guidelines for the second camera. Also installed a lightbar.

Attachments

Reactions: izom

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
The XXs have a tremendous amount of clutch noise. Mine had > 1/16" of play at the edge of the driven clutch, so I ordered a Speedwerx PTO shaft. I didn't order a new seal, and of course everyone is out of stock now that I want to install the PTO.

The splines on the Speedwerx shaft are a much more precise fit to the Yamaha crank, and the shaft also adds quite a bit of mass. I can't do much about adding mass, but there are Loctite bearing retention compounds designed to improve loose fitting bearings. I've used one of them in a drive peg application on my roadracing car, so I know the 609 compound will take at least some reversing stress loads (acceleration and braking) and survive.

So today I pulled the OEM PTO, cleaned the splines, applied a prep spray/accelerator, 609 Loctite and re-assembled it. I will give the Loctite 24 hours to fully set before driving the XX, but a couple of hours after assembly, I have zero play in my driven. It will be interesting to see how much noise is reduced, and how durable it is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Installed Speed steering gear gusset and bushing mod. Wasn’t too difficult. However, follow the you tube video instructions exactly. I tried to make a few short cuts and it only cost me more time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fabricated this steering support bracket and upgraded to 10.9 grade bolts on the steering box and a longer bolt needed to fit thru the front diff mount. All in for around 25 U.S. most off that going toward the hardware. Just couldn’t see spending 2 fity on the Speed unit. Plus it gave me something to do during the “extreme flu season”
A7057DD1-DDC9-43E8-8BA0-C8AEA39F61BB.jpeg
4267BD4C-A979-45D7-ACF0-0D651BE63896.jpeg
FDDBB2B3-BE24-48E3-9D3B-2D3DD4FDD9D9.jpeg
49A544E6-2AA3-4192-B5BE-74129709E58E.jpeg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brought it to the dealer for blown tranny. Found out my aftermarket warranty is being denied because the bank messed up on mileage reported. And the dealer basically told me he dont want to touch it because the aftermarket warranty and if he dont make any money on the warranty work he's charging me for a profit. What's the point of extended warranty if no shop wants to deal with them. Much less deny a claim for any reason.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have never trusted most aftermarket warranties. So I assume they are refunding your money? This is a big trick that some play, keep your money until you claim. If the claim is big enough, then deny it and refund. This way they control the upside. This is not to say that they are all bad- I just don't trust them.

241 - 260 of 265 Posts