Wildcat Forum banner

261 - 272 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes. Same here. I had to pay for my support bracket.

On a side note, I just saw a video of an XX being towed that looks to have had the stock steering mount break. It is definitely a weak point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have never trusted most aftermarket warranties. So I assume they are refunding your money? This is a big trick that some play, keep your money until you claim. If the claim is big enough, then deny it and refund. This way they control the upside. This is not to say that they are all bad- I just don't trust them.
I'm still trying to escalate the claim to higher ups.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
I managed to damage two of the hex shaped rivet nuts that hold the skid panel on. I ordered replacements from countrycat.com and found that they are M6 x 15mm. Uxcell a15072400ux0414 appear to be identical. 39 cents each in quantities of 20. $1.86 each from AC.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
I decided to go belt-and-suspenders regarding clutch noise and installed my Speedwerx PTO shaft, with Loctite 609 on the splines. The 609 with the OEM PTO was gradually breaking down/wearing out. If I didn't have the Speedwerx PTO, I would have tried 620 on the OEM PTO.

While installing the PTO, I noticed a worn spot on the coolant hose that runs up to the waterpump inlet:
20200731_125443[1].jpg

I tied it to a frame tube with a cable tie. If you can get to this while doing maintenance, I think it is worth adding.

PS - Whenever you have the inner clutch cover off, make sure the 3 o'clock latch is flipped outward when you reinstall it. The heatshield is too close to fix this without either bending the heatshield all to hell or taking something apart.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
I got introduced to filter restriction gauges when we picked up our motorhome years ago, then they started appearing on a lot of other vehicles, and it is pretty handy to be able to see at a glance if your filter needs to be replaced or cleaned. The air cleaner on the XX is made by Donaldson and comes with a brass port for a restriction gauge. You can read the gauge status through the access hole for adjusting the LR shock:
20200801_103529.jpg
Resetting the gauge was not so easy until I removed the top of the air intake and drilled a hole directly over the gauge:
20200801_105718.jpg
The top of the air intake slides back with a good tug, then the gauge can be reset. I used a 1/4" ratchet extension in this pic, taken with the bed removed for clarity.

In the process, I did a back to back test of a new Donaldson and new R2C cleanable filter. The results were identical, and they underscore that the OEM air cleaner is close to marginal even on an unmodified XX.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
I'm 2 & 1/2 shocks into installing Shock Therapy springs. I'm using "suicide sticks" to compress the springs. The backs weren't too bad - you can take up the tension with the spring compressors and then back-off the preload rings. I reversed the process for installing the new springs: I did not pre-set the preload rings as shown in the ST installation video - I took up the spring tension and ran the rings out to the starting position manually, and then finished with a spanner. It took little effort with the spanner and the threads showed no distress at all.

The first front shock was far more difficult, and I'm not even done. I have the OEM springs off, but have not yet attempted to install the ST springs. There isn't as much room to run the preload rings up, so all of the working space you need to get the lower spring seat off has to be done with the suicide sticks. What I have learned and want to pass on is that if you are within 1000 miles of Shock Therapy, save the shipping cost and the aggravation and have them do the full spring and re-valve Ride Improvement System while you sip a margarita or 10. I've been planning all along to get the shocks valved this winter, and at this point I kinda wish I had waited on the springs. That will hopefully change when I finish and get to drive it.

The last time I used these spring compressors was on our old Sterling (Rover) 827. One of the spring compressors got lonely and whipped around the spring to join its buddy, breaking the tip of my righthand bird finger, which now has a jaunty angle to it. One would think I might have remembered that BEFORE ordering the springs.

Reactions: AZStrip

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
This might be intuitive for some, but where you position the spring compressors makes a big difference. What worked best for me was grabbing the upper spring as close to the top as possible, which puts the other end of the spring compressors closer to the sliding collar. If I placed them anywhere else, the collars would stick and I would have as much clearance at the top end of the shock as the bottom, when the whole idea is compressing the springs enough to get the spring keeper off of the lower end. Also, it was easier for me to set the pre-load collars AFTER the springs are installed. The flat top of the spring presents a larger surface to line-up with the tape measure. Just do your shock threads a favor and leave the spring compressors in place while you set the collars.

Shock Therapy is careful not to broadcast the spring rates that they use. On my brief test rides, mostly on pavement but also a "spirited" run up our meandering 1/4 mile gravel driveway, the rates seemed a tiny bit softer than what I was expecting. There is a lot more control over body roll and weight transfer under braking and acceleration even with the shocks back on Soft. I had put them on the middle setting almost immediately after buying the XX to quiet down the nose of the car.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Changed out my rear transaxle fluid to Maxima 75/190 Progear. (Recommended by Weddle) Had to order it from Summit- nobody round here had any or could order it.
Took it for a test drive...felt very smooth- less clunky and shifter was a little stiffer- which I liked.
Got rid of the water that Textron recommends.

Funny thing though...I have noticed a lot of vacuum in the fuel tank when I remove the cap. I moved to 5200 ft and its been real hot- may have something to do with that...also, I heard some strange noises which I thought were electrical like the computer or voltage regulator...Turns out it was pressure relief from the fuel tank.
Anyone else come across this? Wonder if my cap is right.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I think I am going to set up an appt with Shock Therapy for a Glamis weekend to change out the springs. I am pretty sure they will set them up for free there.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Changed out my rear transaxle fluid to Maxima 75/190 Progear. (Recommended by Weddle) Had to order it from Summit- nobody round here had any or could order it.
Took it for a test drive...felt very smooth- less clunky and shifter was a little stiffer- which I liked.
Got rid of the water that Textron recommends.

Funny thing though...I have noticed a lot of vacuum in the fuel tank when I remove the cap. I moved to 5200 ft and its been real hot- may have something to do with that...also, I heard some strange noises which I thought were electrical like the computer or voltage regulator...Turns out it was pressure relief from the fuel tank.
Anyone else come across this? Wonder if my cap is right.
Both of my rigs like to whistle the hotter it gets out.. Im going to look a little farther this weekend to see if vents are plugged up or see if cap is suspose to vent.. when I take the gas cap off theres some good pressure behind it..

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Got rid of the water that Textron recommends...
Weddle doesn't like Redline products, which I don't quite understand. None of the Redline oils that I have used have ever let me down, nor have they ever done the stuff that Weddle says they do, like foaming.

I had Heavy Shockproof left over and used it in the XX transaxle. My impression was pretty much the same as your's with the Maxima: smooth, less clunky. I didn't notice a difference in shifter feel, but I think I changed back to stock from the shorter ball shift knob I had been using at the same time that I changed the transaxle gear oil.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Finally found a phone/tablet holder that I could adapt to the XX:

261 - 272 of 272 Posts