Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hoping it will do at least 80mph. My Polaris 850xp goes 75 and I had a Bombardier 650Baja that did 80. How fast do you Polaris 900 and Can Am 1000's do? Anybody know what how fast this engine is in the other Artic Cat sxs that it's in?

·
Registered
686 Posts
polaris xp900 = limited at 75mph
can-am commander = limited at 74mph
arctic cat 1000 XTZ = power limited not speed limited to around 70-75mph

this new wildcat does not have the same exact engine as the previous XTZ1000. this engine is reworked to crank out more power thru better air intake, throttlebody setup, larger valves, and better exhaust. this engine has enough power to run 100mph in the wildcat already, the test units will do 100mph. i am sure on the production units, there will be electronic speed limiters in place in the 75mph range just as the other big SxS are speed limited. i feel certain the lawyers are trying to keep the speeds to a safe margin. i would love for cat to leave it uncorked and let us run 100mph.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
My Prowler 1000XTZ did 82mph on gps on the pavement. I would imagine the wildcat will do 80+ as well....................

·
Registered
34 Posts
They will never let these things get over 75. That's something the aftermarket has to do.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They will never let these things get over 75. That's something the aftermarket has to do.
How fast is your Renegade with all those mods?

The limiting factor in top speed is the redline and gearing.

·
Registered
686 Posts
the XTZ 1000 will likely be the all time fastest SxS. the XTZ 1000 prowler does not have any type of speed limiter, and it is the only big engine SxS that is not limited. the XP900 and commander 1000 are both speed limited in the ECU. the XTZ 1000 is NOT speed limited and will run as fast as the engine will pull, most owners see around 75-80mph, rarely you get a good one and can run 80+ the fastest i have ever seen a stock one was 82mph. the fastest i have ever had an XTZ 1000 is 91 with all my clutching done to it. but from now on, i can pretty much assure you all big bore SxS will be speed limited. i am unsure of the top speeds of the production model wildcats but i feel certain they too will be limited thru the ECU.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I paid this kind of money for a "sport" sidexside with that kind of suspension and it was limited to 75 I would be very upset! I would fully expect this machine to hit 85+ stock, and with free flowing exhaust and ECU tune I would expect 95+ easliy....

It comes down to friction, wind drag, weight, HP, and gearing...I don't think they should limit the top speed. I realize car manufactures do this as well (my 11' stang GT was limited to 155) but they put it at a value that most people won't even hit on a normal day. I guess all I am saying is if they limit the top speed in the ECU I will be the first trying to figure out how to bypass the ECU or raise this limit!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A review says the top speed was 70mph. That's a bummer. They said the 900xp was faster Too bad. I was hoping for 85 at least.

·
Registered
686 Posts
70mph on dirt roads is more than you should have ever expected. pavement will show alot different top speed. dirt presents alot of friction and alot of drag. driving top speeds on dirt or gravel roads, you will never reach a full top speed as if you were on pavement in any machine

·
Registered
791 Posts
The article from OffRoad Press said the same thing-70MPH top speed. For a stock rig I'll take that and then make it go faster from there.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have no question in my mind that "AIRDAM" clutch work will get the WC past the disappointing 70 mph for sure!!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
My Prowler 1000 wouldn't do over 65 on the dirt, but did 82 on pavement. I doubt the magazines did a pavement top speed test. 70 on the dirt with the tire slippage isn't bad at all. And I highly doubt that the XP would do more on the same surface. That still could translate into an 85 mph top speed on pavement.............

·
Registered
377 Posts
Seriously why do you need to go faster than 70 mph? I can see for racing but the average Joe has no need for that kind of top end speed even out west in the dunes. Out east we need the low to mid range torque. Keep in mind the highest speed limit in the USA is 75 mph and that is on an interstate which these will never be allowed on.

Would you seriously go 75 mph on unbalance atv tires? If something goes pop or you lose it, it's not going to be pretty.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Seriously why do you need to go faster than 70 mph? I can see for racing but the average Joe has no need for that kind of top end speed even out west in the dunes. Out east we need the low to mid range torque. Keep in mind the highest speed limit in the USA is 75 mph and that is on an interstate which these will never be allowed on.

Would you seriously go 75 mph on unbalance atv tires? If something goes pop or you lose it, it's not going to be pretty.

Baditude,
To answer your question HE11 YES I WOULD drive 70+ MPH on unbalanced ATV tires. I have done it and will do it again. My Raptor or my TRX both top out at 70MPH stock. Yes because you wouldn't go that fast doesn't mean someone else won't or doesn't want to. I would like it to top out at 85-90MPH myself but I also would like it to get to 60MPH FAST!!! In some areas of the dunes there isn't a speed limit and it is fun to race your friends now and then. On the trails yes I agree the low to mid range is more important.

I go 100+MPH on a Street Bike so I know all about the what if something goes POP or you do something wrong. I am also smart enough to know when to play and when not to.

Reactions: Sailor
1 - 20 of 108 Posts