Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what spanner wrench everyone is using to adjust the shocks on their big wildcats. I know I can use a screw driver and knock it around. just thinking it would be easier and faster with a spanner wrench. thanks. larry

·
Registered
160 Posts
mine turns free enough that i can do it by hand. i just make sure i use gloves. use a jack to take pressure off of the shocks and they turn farely easy.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MINE DO NOT TURN VERY FREELY AND THAT IS WITH NO WEIGHT AT ALL ON THE MACHINE. THE ONES ON MY TRAIL TURNED BY HAND ALSO. BUT THE ONES ON MY x DO NOT.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Don't the new shocks have a set screw on the adjusting nut?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I think it is on the new JRI's, I know the Walkers don't have it..

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The Elkas have a clamping screw in the ring. Hey, when you buy an X Ltd do you get the little tool for tightening the Elka spring collars in the AC tool pouch? I purchased my Elkas as an upgrade and they came with the tool (just a little rod with a kicked end).

When I had the Fox Podiums I used a shock spring spanner that came with my old KTM motorcycle, seemed to work ok.

RLW

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Only takes about an hour to make a custom sized spanner handle to fit Walkers, or Fox's or ... ? Nice soft material like nylon or even wood with a pin thru it so ya don't gouge things up too much.
2015-06-13_154416.jpg

·
Registered
578 Posts
The Elkas have a clamping screw in the ring. Hey, when you buy an X Ltd do you get the little tool for tightening the Elka spring collars in the AC tool pouch? I purchased my Elkas as an upgrade and they came with the tool (just a little rod with a kicked end).

When I had the Fox Podiums I used a shock spring spanner that came with my old KTM motorcycle, seemed to work ok.

RLW
My Sport Limited came with two (same) spanner wrenches in the tool pouch.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I bought one of these on Ebay, I think it was $15 or so....works great. I think it'll go from 2 inches to 4 3/4 inches. Worked great when I had to take down the front shocks and put on that spring rub kit that AC came out with a couple of months ago. Handle is long for good leverage as well. Bonus points that the one I received was made in the USA. spanner.jpg

·
Registered
180 Posts
Been looking on eBay for spanner wrenches you got. The ones listed are over $100. Do you have the name of the seller? Thanks

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
I just use flathead screwdriver and tap the upper spanner nut to unlock on Trail XT. Then make sure machine is jacked up and you should be able to turn lower spanner and shock to adjust, if not that's where the OEM spanner wrench comes in handy that's in the toolkit under front drivers seat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts