Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

after a few hours of dune riding I parked my 2013 Wildcat 4. I checked it over in the morning and noticed a large puddle of oil just below the A/F housing. I took the housing off and found oil all over the lower-inside of the housing. There is no oil in the intake. Anyone know what might be going on here? The cat runs great, but what's up with the oil?

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you filled it up to the top of the full marks on the dip stick then it's slightly too much oil. Mine did that and it stopped when I drained a little oil out down to halfway between full and the bottom of the dipstick.

·
Administrator
28,002 Posts
Hello All,

after a few hours of dune riding I parked my 2013 Wildcat 4. I checked it over in the morning and noticed a large puddle of oil just below the A/F housing. I took the housing off and found oil all over the lower-inside of the housing. The is no oil in the intake. Anyone know what might be going on here? The cat runs great, but what's up with the oil?
I think you will find that the oil isn't leaking from your air filter housing, it's probably leaking into it. You must have an oil leak somewhere close, and oil is accumulating in the housing. See if there are any oil lines close that the clamps are loose, oil might be running down the line.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
It isn't that its leaking. It is building up crank case pressure and blowing some oil through the crank case vent and into the air box. Can be from worn rings but more likely a little over full on oil (as posted above) and not a big deal at all. May smoke for a few minutes the next time yo run it but it will clear up. Happens all the time with all makes and models.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My Cat only has 440 miles on it. First oil change at 110 miles. Oil level is full. A/F has never been cleaned or oiled since I purchased the Cat. Never been tipped over or rolled. The oil coming out of the housing was significant - the spot on the garage floor was 5 inches in diameter. The oil on the floor and housing is clean (not dirty). The Dealer said they have NEVER heard of this. The mechanic will be looking at it on Monday. I'm wondering if I am being overly concerned about the oil. Has anybody experienced this?

·
Administrator
28,002 Posts
May Cat only has 440 miles on it. First oil change at 110 miles. Oil level is full. A/F has never been cleaned or oiled since I purchased the Cat. Never been tipped over or rolled. The oil coming out of the housing was significant - the spot on the garage floor was 5 inches in diameter. The oil on the floor and housing is clean (not dirty). The Dealer said they have NEVER heard of this. The mechanic will be looking at it on Monday. I'm wondering if I am being overly concerned about the oil. Has anybody experienced this?
Still seems like an oil leak from somewhere else, and getting into the air filter box. Let us know what they find.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
May Cat only has 440 miles on it. First oil change at 110 miles. Oil level is full. A/F has never been cleaned or oiled since I purchased the Cat. Never been tipped over or rolled. The oil coming out of the housing was significant - the spot on the garage floor was 5 inches in diameter. The oil on the floor and housing is clean (not dirty). The Dealer said they have NEVER heard of this. The mechanic will be looking at it on Monday. I'm wondering if I am being overly concerned about the oil. Has anybody experienced this?
Did you read what we already posted? If you want to call me on Monday I will be happy to elaborate on why/how/when this happens but not typing a book from my phone. Long story short its not a big deal and its not a leak. If the actual techs at your dealership have never heard of this they are rookies or only work on ultra low performance machines like Honda Recons.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
The inline check valve could be in backwards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all the input everyone has given. My Wildcat is at an AUTHORIZED ARCTIC CAT dealer. That's all they sell. I will be calling them Monday morning, specifically speaking to the mechanic involved, and let him know what this forum has said. When I opened the housing I did notice there is a breather tube (with filter). I'm wondering if this is where the oil is coming from. Anyway, I'll let this forum know what the Arctic Cat Dealer says.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'd say will 90% certainty that it's normal and due to you oil level being full. It needs to be in the middle of the hash marks not on the full line. Mine did the same thing until I learned not to fill it to the full line.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Red! That's the most direct response so far. Someone that has experienced this issue. And, I see you said that before. Yes, my oil is at the top of the dipstick. I will make sure that it is in the middle from now on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I appreciate all the input everyone has given. My Wildcat is at an AUTHORIZED ARCTIC CAT dealer. That's all they sell. I will be calling them Monday morning, specifically speaking to the mechanic involved, and let him know what this forum has said. When I opened the housing I did notice there is a breather tube (with filter). I'm wondering if this is where the oil is coming from. Anyway, I'll let this forum know what the Arctic Cat Dealer says.
FYI MLS Powersports is an AUTHORIZED ARCTIC CAT Dealer. He was telling you what he has experienced at the dealership he owns

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I spoke with the Arctic Cat Dealer about the A/F oil issue. They agreed, that it is most likely oil from the crankcase. They said there is a one-way valve that could be bad, which is allowing the oil into the A/F housing (less than $10.00). I told them to take no action, and that I would watch this the next few hours of riding. Thanks again everyone for your prompt input and thoughts. This forum is awesome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same problem oil is in air filter box final remedy u had

Hello All,

after a few hours of dune riding I parked my 2013 Wildcat 4. I checked it over in the morning and noticed a large puddle of oil just below the A/F housing. I took the housing off and found oil all over the lower-inside of the housing. There is no oil in the intake. Anyone know what might be going on here? The cat runs great, but what's up with the oil?
How did u fix problem

1 - 20 of 23 Posts