Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Wildcat Trail Limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So joining the ranks tomorrow, fingers crossed. I found a 2015 wildcat trail limited to buy. It has 2000 miles. What are the wear items I need to check. Shake wheels looking for play in bushing, a-arms, etc. Listen for rattles and clanks. Drive in 2wd, 4wd, and 4wd lock, low and high gear. Things I was thinking about. Should the belt have been replaced? The tires are still original so they are on their way out. Will replace those soon. Any other common maintenance items. I have talked him down to 8K which for here is pretty good (there all listed at 9.5-11K) but if it needs 2k in maintenance items I need to push harder. He has changed all fluids every year. Runs seafoam in the gas. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Kris

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
you got it, check it out like a used car. Look at the oil color, make sure it has glow green antifreeze, no seepage or leaks. signs of rollovers, cracked plastic, paint missing, cracks by the a arm mounts . Just a general looksy . Drives straight, looks straight, title paperwork matches vehicle.

·
Registered
2016 wildcat sport, hard roof, front and rear light bars, whips, winch, modified exhaust, pcv, intak
64 Posts
I always like to look at air filter too prefilter at drivers side and in the box. I have found that people who take care of their toys well usually keep up the little things like that. Filters clean, oiled, and i always looked at shocks very close to make sure no oil has leaked. If its greasy dirt will stick. service or replacement on shocks can get a little pricey. Good luck, i have always enjoyed haggling with people to find their bottom dollar.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Could get the VIN and ensure all recalls have been performed.

At the price you listed, I doubt you would be getting into anything that would eat up your savings that you wouldn't be able to tell from a good look over and test ride. I've been wrong before though.

Only major issue I've had with one of mine was the mechanical seal failing for the water pump it was kind of time consuming, but I was able to do it myself. That and bushings, but those are a wear item.

Reactions: Sak kitty

·
Registered
2014 Wildcat Trail XT
294 Posts
There are rollers in the secondary clutch that I would replace with those kind of miles, they are cheap. Carry a spare belt, I would keep going on the original, that's me at least. Get some Bandit suspension springs, you wont regret it and they usually have a black Friday sale.

Where is here? Looks like Idaho a bit.

Reactions: Sak kitty

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. Was in Helena Montana. Bought it so that's good. Seems tight and in good shape. Have new belt, speedworks clutch spring, air filter coming. Probably will put new plugs in as well. On the ground there wasn't any play in bushings no clunks or thunks when driving. Shifts smooth, runs and idles nice. Paid 7800 so not to bad I think.has warn provantage winch, nice little add on. Will watch for bandit springs to come up on sale and will need tires. Liked my big horns on my Arctic cat 400 years ago will probably look at them or a knockoff. I guess time will tell but I am all in now!

·
Registered
2016 wildcat sport, hard roof, front and rear light bars, whips, winch, modified exhaust, pcv, intak
64 Posts
Congrats on the purchase you will love it and a good price too. Wildcat with a winch can go anywhere!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 16 sport, went up a tire size to 27 wanda bighorn style, good tire good price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could get the VIN and ensure all recalls have been performed.

At the price you listed, I doubt you would be getting into anything that would eat up your savings that you wouldn't be able to tell from a good look over and test ride. I've been wrong before though.

Only major issue I've had with one of mine was the mechanical seal failing for the water pump it was kind of time consuming, but I was able to do it myself. That and bushings, but those are a wear item.
What did it take parts cost wise on the water pump?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So this is kind of funny, this machine was listed as a 2016. When I was looking at pictures I ddid 't see this color combo in 2016 and thought it was a 2015. Turns out I was right it was really a 2015, unfortunately I forgot there were some other issues with a 2015 and did not check out. It does not have the front frame gussets, Good news is the frame is not cracked or broken. I have the frame brace in the shopping cart from Amazon. Anyone done that upgrade, anything to be aware of. Also anyone use a UV die kit in the coolant to find a leak. I do this at work to inspect tanks for cleaning and have seen them do it on air conditioning systems with small leaks. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So this is kind of funny, this machine was listed as a 2016. When I was looking at pictures I ddid 't see this color combo in 2016 and thought it was a 2015. Turns out I was right it was really a 2015, unfortunately I forgot there were some other issues with a 2015 and did not check out. It does not have the front frame gussets, Good news is the frame is not cracked or broken. I have the frame brace in the shopping cart from Amazon. Anyone done that upgrade, anything to be aware of. Also anyone use a UV die kit in the coolant to find a leak. I do this at work to inspect tanks for cleaning and have seen them do it on air conditioning systems with small leaks. Anything else I should do while I have it partly apart. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Die is used in the automotive world to find cooling system leaks, is it loosing coolant?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Die is used in the automotive world to find cooling system leaks, is it loosing coolant?
Seems to be a small amount. When I ran it today I can smell a little bit and the bottle is empty. I don't see a leak anywhere obvious. Thought the dye would make it easier.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I replced mine, the fan guard had a coolant line next to it on sitters side that actually chaffed the radiator causing a leak but it was noticeable. I put 3m tape between fan shroud and rad and moved the hose a little with zip ties to keep it from rubbing the new radiator. This happened at about 1100 mi. Passenger side bottom of radiator.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I replced mine, the fan guard had a coolant line next to it on sitters side that actually chaffed the radiator causing a leak but it was noticeable. I put 3m tape between fan shroud and rad and moved the hose a little with zip ties to keep it from rubbing the new radiator. This happened at about 1100 mi. Passenger side bottom of radiator.
I will look at that when I install the frame brace that is on the way. Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also went ahead and replaced thermostat as well, figured why not, is it smoking any?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope, not even a little. Oil is clean. Coolant is clean. Pretty sure there is a leak somewhere. I will find it. Just got it home and will be doing some work anyway as I tear things down I will look everything over.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Check the hard lines running through the tunnel also.

Reactions: dspete05

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
also check the line to the side of the oil dipstick it gets cooked by the header.

Reactions: dspete05

·
Registered
750 Posts
What did it take parts cost wise on the water pump?
This was about $100 in parts. That included a new exhaust manifold gasket and stud bolt. The major cost here would be labor if you can't do it yourself. Not hard, just time consuming.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts