Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We now have credible reports by SoCalmax, FUTV and I think some others that WCs are holding their own up sand hills with XPs that have a much higher power to weight ratio.
Maybe Polaris needs to go to a wet clutch I mean what's the deal?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
There is a difference between occasionally "holding your own" and really competing. Not one story on here of a wildcat beating an XP up any hill or in a drag race. I get that people don't just climb hills or drag race, but it is an evaluation of getting power to the ground. Many posts on here have said that they killed the XP through the whoops and then the got passed up the hill and only lost by a couple lengths. If an XP is way behind and then passes you on a steep hill, it has much more power to the ground than you. Plain and simple. I have seen the videos, and talked to people that have raced. If you are comparing the power of the WC to that of a rhino , Teryx, or RZR S then it is better. But its not better than the XP or Commander 1000. So maybe we are all just comparing the Wildcat to the wrong competition? But I am greedy. I want the best of both worlds for my money.......

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Somebody reported today that his new WC is just as fast as his RZR S turbo

Now that's impressive

Dang... how much does cost to put a RZR S turbo together?

Personly I don't think he's makin this shit up

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
TX doesn't have his wildcat yet for starters, and there is no chance in hell that a stock wildcat is as fast as a turboed RZR. But keep tryin.......

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
You have one fast wildcat. Or one slow XP. I think we all agree that they are much closer on the flats. But there is no real load on the clutch on flat ground. That is still the first video I have seen that shows the Wildcat that close. I will see if I can get the videos my buddy has where very outcome is much different......

·
Vendor
508 Posts
You have one fast wildcat. Or one slow XP. I think we all agree that they are much closer on the flats. But there is no real load on the clutch on flat ground. That is still the first video I have seen that shows the Wildcat that close. I will see if I can get the videos my buddy has where very outcome is much different......
Could be our Wildcat is kinda fast and XP is kinda slow? One of the very first video's out though also shows them pretty close going up a sand hill where the XP gets the Wildcat by a little bit. I'm kind of puzzled by the whole deal to be honest. I haven't seen a video yet though that shows an XP Smoking a Wildcat although I don't doubt they are out there since you say you saw one. I also agree with you though that with heavy tires and wheels, the Wildcat clutch sucks under a heavy load like sand hill shooting. I just think there is so much that is bad ass about the Wildcat though and know the clutching will get worked out. When it does, Polaris better have something really cool waiting in the wings or they'll be playing from behind...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have read several threads with arguments between the XP and WC and I will throw this out there...doesn't driver style / experience have at least something to do with it?

Be nice with your responses, plz! Just a new, female WC owner here asking questions!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I don't think the driver has much do with it in a race either on the flats, or uphill. It does come into play on the track, or riding through the dunes or trails though. I know that in plenty of situations that the superior suspension of the Wildcat can overcome any lack in power. Still love the Wildcat and will be buying one. But some people here have their rose colored glasses on and absolutely refuse to acknowledge that the Wildcat is anything less than perfect. And no, I am not referring to you UTV.....

·
Vendor
508 Posts
I have read several threads with arguments between the XP and WC and I will throw this out there...doesn't driver style / experience have at least something to do with it?

Be nice with your responses, plz! Just a new, female WC owner here asking questions!
Certainly drivers ability has something to do with all aspects except maybe hill shooting. That's pretty much a point and shoot thing with a CVT equipped vehicle.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
We now have credible reports by SoCalmax, FUTV and I think some others that WCs are holding their own up sand hills with XPs that have a much higher power to weight ratio.
Maybe Polaris needs to go to a wet clutch I mean what's the deal?
:bsflag:

We know how much they both weigh and we know what they put to the rear wheels, my math says the power to weight ratio of the two is practically identical. Please feel free to demonstrate your math that shows the XP has a much higher power to weight ratio.

The XP has steeper gearing in the diff which helps it on the hill climbs but the power to weight is very close to the Wildcat.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

There are so many factors that can change the outcome, one of which could be driving style.

Since these UTVs don't have manual transmissions, the ability to speed shift doesn't come into play here. All you do is hit the throttle and steer, for the most part. If you're talking about trail riding or duning, then yes, driver skill comes into play. If you're only talking about hill shooting, then where exactly you are running the hill makes a slight difference in as much as hills have less steep/more steep sides to choose from, like the left, right or center.

What we haven't been doing is posting up the other variables, like what tires, tire pressure, driver weight (honest weight LOL), current air temp, etc. to try to get a bead on what might explain why we're seeing different accounts of whether the WC can make it up certain hills.

I have no doubts a properly driven XP with the exact same tires will beat me up any hill in Glamis. For now. But when the whole WCD/clutch tuning thing gets all sorted out and we extract the hidden hp in that engine, people will forget these early growing pains.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I guess it depends on the turbo set up. The one I know of in our group tore up the XP and the Wildcat. The video was on here before, but I am getting all the videos from that weekend so I can post them up......

·
Registered
415 Posts
got to remember stock to stock my wildcat against xp flat dirt they so close it is sick an xp stock aint no faster in this part of country stock tires stock out of factory and ill waste them in rough county or he will reck thats what I've seen but maybe he is toying with me don't get me wrong his feels faster buy the seat of pants but it aint seen enough to believe half the stories on or some of the vids some of those outfits aint stock don't get me wrong i will get mine faster and i will fix clutches (wcd) caus xp clutching is very good i personally like back shifting and the clutching in the wildcat is junk imo not afraid to say that but it can be fixed and when it is they will see tail lights more often

·
Registered
146 Posts
got to remember stock to stock my wildcat against xp flat dirt they so close it is sick an xp stock aint no faster in this part of country stock tires stock out of factory and ill waste them in rough county or he will reck thats what I've seen but maybe he is toying with me don't get me wrong his feels faster buy the seat of pants but it aint seen enough to believe half the stories on or some of the vids some of those outfits aint stock don't get me wrong i will get mine faster and i will fix clutches (wcd) caus xp clutching is very good i personally like back shifting and the clutching in the wildcat is junk imo not afraid to say that but it can be fixed and when it is they will see tail lights more often
never met a period or comma? :D

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
never met a period or comma? :D
Oh geez! Don't even get me started. Better get used to it, or get yourself a bottle of Advil to keep your head from exploding. And yes, you smart asses, Advil keeps your head from exploding.........

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:bsflag:

We know how much they both weigh and we know what they put to the rear wheels, my math says the power to weight ratio of the two is practically identical. Please feel free to demonstrate your math that shows the XP has a much higher power to weight ratio.

The XP has steeper gearing in the diff which helps it on the hill climbs but the power to weight is very close to the Wildcat.

Got a bet for you Tx... if the difference is less than than a 100lbs. I'll stop posting here if it is more than than 100lbs. you say good by.

In a 1200 to 1300lbs. car 100lbs. has big effect on acceleration

put up or shutup

1 - 20 of 144 Posts