Wildcat Forum banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Speaking of buttons. The last time had my primary off, when I pressed the sheaves together, they would stay together. The spring should push them back apart right? It seems where my buttons slide up & down the "towers" is too tight. I'm thinking about hitting the "towers" with some very fine grit sand paper so the buttons can slide on them more easily & the sheaves can open/close freely as they should. Maybe this will take care of my jumpy/shuttering low rpm belt engagement?
That is exactly how my buttons were for 2000 miles. I started putting a little moly grease in them before every ride and it helped. Tight buttons is the cause of a lot of problems I think. Mine finally loosened up and let me get the most out of the clutch tune for a few trips and then they were gone. For those few trips it worked the way I always thought it should. Even with the buttons completely gone the clutch worked better than with them too tight. It just made some crazy noises when it was idling.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Is it possible the moly grease softened the buttons? Some plastics don't do well when in contact with petroleum products.

When I raced a CVT car in the early 90's, we used a spray-on dry moly film on the helix ramps. I don't remember doing the clutch towers. If I were to try this now, I would probably try a Teflon liquid or spray.

I replaced a grooved primary at about 800 miles. The replacement was really stiff compared to the original, but not as stiff as what drpalo found. I'll check it again - I'm at almost 2500.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Is it possible the moly grease softened the buttons? Some plastics don't do well when in contact with petroleum products.
No, the buttons that are left are still perfectly hard. They are known to blow out like this if you don't pay attention to them. And to be honest I had not payed any attention to them for a little too long. I might have been able to keep them alive a little longer if I had kept up with the cleaning and greasing

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
I got it back together and the .030 shim under the spider dropped the engagement about 100rpm. Progress!

Engagement without killing the top end has been my goal from the beginning. I had a setup that I liked and this might be slightly better. I changed nothing but the shim as far as setup goes. We'll see when I open it up at Jawbone next week. I got a little over 9000rpm up my driveway so it might be pretty good

The Speedwerx PTO and buttons are really quiet so far

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I'm looking forward to your results. I'm ready to start looking at kits or individual parts, and what you've achieved sounds like a good all-around setup.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I probably screwed up the test of the new clutch parts by getting new tires. My 32" Motohammers were worn down to almost nothing so I decided to get a new set. I love these tires and didn't want to take a chance trying something else. I didn't realize how much bigger they were new. So now I've added about 7lbs per corner and at least an inch in height. I would have pulled a magnet out of the weights if I thought about how much different it would be. Too late now. I'm done messing with it

I guess we'll se how much it affects the clutch tune in a couple days

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok Crawler, or any of you clutch guys...I just installed Crawler's setup....with 2-0-0-0 in the arms. Did a quick couple street miles....high engagement, 2800-3000...9750 with ease....lays rubber with the heavy 32's.
I need to bring engagement down. Should I start with 3-1 or 2-2? TIA

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Under what circumstances are you seeing 9750, and are you okay with that? When do the rods start letting go in these Yamahas (obviously at lower RPM for the '18s and early '19s than the engines built after that)?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Ok Crawler, or any of you clutch guys...I just installed Crawler's setup....with 2-0-0-0 in the arms. Did a quick couple street miles....high engagement, 2800-3000...9750 with ease....lays rubber with the heavy 32's.
I need to bring engagement down. Should I start with 3-1 or 2-2? TIA
I like all the weight in the heal. It might be a personal preference thing or maybe driving style or terrain. I don't really know which one would be better to be honest but I would start with the 3-1. I'm running 3-0-0-0 now and it was just right with my worn 32's. With new 32's we'll see.

This would be so easy if everything was the same but unfortunately nothing is exactly the same. The weight of your tires and the pressure you run, how much shit you carry, the weight of your foot, the actual rate of your springs, the drag on your buttons, the wear on pretty much everything, what day of the week your motor was built, you get the point.

It sounds like the parts are working pretty good for you and with a couple more magnets you'll be right there. I'd be curious to hear which is better, 3-1 or 2-2, or you might even end up at 3-2. At this point it depends how many times you want to mess with it before you decide it's good enough

·
Registered
74 Posts
Under what circumstances are you seeing 9750, and are you okay with that? When do the rods start letting go in these Yamahas (obviously at lower RPM for the '18s and early '19s than the engines built after that)?
About anytime I stab it. I was in neighborhood but did see 60mph. Figure some more weight down low might tame the top end down some.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok...added weights today. I'm at 3-1-0-0...lowered engagement to around 26-2700, pulls hard at 9550-9600. Im gonna throw another magnet in there. See what 3-2 does.
Also, I lost a little engine braking with the BD 35-45. I'm gonna miss that in the mountains.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Couldn't really tell much of a difference with 3-2 from 3-1.🤷‍♂️. Gonna leave it for now...get some riding in on it.

181 - 192 of 192 Posts