Wildcat Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree, Could give country cat a call and see how far out they are on one. might be worth waiting cost wise
I just called mls, county cat, babbits. And my local dealer. That spring is backordered until july 7th. You got lucky. Now do I want to spend $63 for a spring from Ebay.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just called mls, county cat, babbits. And my local dealer. That spring is backordered until july 7th. You got lucky. Now do I want to spend $63 for a spring from Ebay.
that sucks, well if you wait until i get the spring in I can let you know what it did for me and might make that decision a little easier to make

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ordered the 35-195 spring AC part no 0646-467 and will also get that 36-45 helix with EBS cut next week. after that i'll start playing with weights.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I had a conversation with the guy at BD-Xtreme about what we are trying to do when I was ordering the helix. Hopefully he understood the need for low engagement and maybe they will work on a kit that actually works. I can dream, right?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok got the spring in and so far its the best this car has been 23-2400 rpm engagement and started at 8500 rpm and got up to 9000 rpm as it warmed up, but not able to get it fully warm as I'm on the street in my neighbor hood. going to leave it and see how it does when I can take it out and maybe remove one weight 1-0-0-0 or move it to the heal 2-0-0-0

Here is my setup as of now

venom black green 200-280 driven spring
stock helix
0646-439 black white stripe 50-250 drive spring
Bd xtreme 55-71 arms weights are 1-1-0-0

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
18wildcatxx, could you please remind us what the rest of your setup is? You've given your clutching, but it would be convenient for everyone if you also listed key elements that affect clutching, like tire size, any performance mods, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I went to Bald Mtn to test the new helix. AWESOME!
I asked BD-Xtreme to give me 'mild' engine braking and they got it perfect.

I was at about 7800' so the power was down a little. I set up the clutch for around 3000' so I expected that. Like I said in the beginning, I wanted the best of both worlds. I'm not trying to win drag races. For me, ideal is 3mph without slipping the belt when I am in the mountains and over 9000rpm wide open in the desert with some engine braking and decent mid throttle torque without being jumpy and jerky.

I honestly didn't think I could get it as good as it is right now.
9100rpm in the desert with good throttle response and engine braking at 5000rpm.
2500rpm engagement with solid belt grab at 3000rpm.
I can crawl at 3-4mph UP and DOWN rocks by feathering the throttle between 3000 and 4000.
8500rpm wide open at 7800' which is plenty of power in that environment.

This is a Speed 72" XX with 32" MotoHammers and the Speed flash

I'm uploading vids to youtube to show how well it works
I'll post them when they are done or check out DESERTYFZ on youtube

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went to Bald Mtn to test the new helix. AWESOME!
I asked BD-Xtreme to give me 'mild' engine braking and they got it perfect.

I was at about 7800' so the power was down a little. I set up the clutch for around 3000' so I expected that. Like I said in the beginning, I wanted the best of both worlds. I'm not trying to win drag races. For me, ideal is 3mph without slipping the belt when I am in the mountains and over 9000rpm wide open in the desert with some engine braking and decent mid throttle torque without being jumpy and jerky.

I honestly didn't think I could get it as good as it is right now.
9100rpm in the desert with good throttle response and engine braking at 5000rpm.
2500rpm engagement with solid belt grab at 3000rpm.
I can crawl at 3-4mph UP and DOWN rocks by feathering the throttle between 3000 and 4000.
8500rpm wide open at 7800' which is plenty of power in that environment.

This is a Speed 72" XX with 32" MotoHammers and the Speed flash

I'm uploading vids to youtube to show how well it works
I'll post them when they are done or check out DESERTYFZ on youtube
Awesome to hear. I just installed all my new gear. 35-45 helix from BD-Extreme, AC 35-195 primary. Existing was a 160-235 secondary, and 52.9 gram weights. Also installed a new belt as the existing one had 1 spot on it that was questionable so it will be a week before i have any good results to post. I will be riding this weekend 8-9K ft. I expect a bit more tuning with weights.

33" tires, Alba tune and header, 250 lbs of gear in the bed.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
This one is pretty decent. Started out on a stair step with too much air in the tires and then went around and held 4mph all the way to the top. steeper than it looks

·
Registered
132 Posts
So finally got around to installing my 35-215 spring. Enagement is right around 2,400rpm, current weight setup is 2-1-1-1.

Spring is shorter, definitely makes getting the primary bolts started.

Took it for a quick rip to the gas station, didnt have enough room to do a top end test, but so far feels good. I can romp on the throttle and actually have it light the tires up now at lower speeds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The broken one is definitely a cast piece. What is a good one to go with?
I watched a video on speedwerx helix’s and they started with a cast piece too. I don’t know that the problem is that it was cast, rather the amount of material supporting that post is maybe 25% as thick as the 35-50 speedwerx helix I was running before

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
That's crazy. I have the same helix and I thought that part seemed thin on mine too but I figured it was supported well enough that it wasn't something to worry about. I guess that's why the Speedwerx is twice as much. I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

What was the symptom that made you pull it back apart? Was it obvious that something was wrong?

Here's the only pic I got of mine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's crazy. I have the same helix and I thought that part seemed thin on mine too but I figured it was supported well enough that it wasn't something to worry about. I guess that's why the Speedwerx is twice as much. I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

What was the symptom that made you pull it back apart? Was it obvious that something was wrong?

Here's the only pic I got of mine.

View attachment 251476
you'll know when it breaks. mine wouldn't take off in high gear, had to take off in low, you can hear the parts rolling around in there. I talked to BD-Extreme today and they are sending out a new helix and rollers (mine were chewed up). He said there wasn't enough material on the posts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
you'll know when it breaks. mine wouldn't take off in high gear, had to take off in low, you can hear the parts rolling around in there. I talked to BD-Extreme today and they are sending out a new helix and rollers (mine were chewed up). He said there wasn't enough material on the posts.
I hope it is a different one for sure. Not enough material should apply to all of their helix's. Are they going to do a re-design?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Crawler, I think I'm going to go with your original setup you mentioned in this discussion. 80-190 spring in the primary, 200-280 spring in the secondary, Pro-Mag 55-71 adjustable weights, stock helix. Sounds like this a big improvement in low end engagement & at an affordable price.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts