Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the dunes I know people do not care about a winch, but here in the south they are pretty much standard issue for rock crawling and especially mud. So has anyone seen any info on a front mount winch for the Wildcat?

·
Registered
791 Posts
TX,
That is not true about not wanting a winch in the dunes. When you bury a SXS in the sand you WANT/NEED a winch to get yourself out. The only info I have seen so far is the picture of the receiver mount in the catalog. You will have a winch mounted on a portable winch plate with a 2" stinger on it. And they are selling in the catalog. So you can move the winch from front to rear. I am going back out to the demo at 1PM so I can ask someone if you have more questions.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That doesn't sound so good or even workable in the real world. I do not intentionally mud but trail riding in the south means you will have to go through some mud at some point and if and when you get buried in the mud good luck then attaching a winch to it to free yourself. Plus where would you store this detachable winch? There will have to be a way to mount a winch in the front permanently, this will be a problem for sure for southern and eastern riders as well. I have no idea how many times I have used my winch to either free myself from a bad predicament or someone else, whether it was mud or a crevice or whatever other of the myriad different types of recovery operations I have been involved in. If Arctic Cat left no place for a winch then they need to get busy figuring that out ASAP, this is a pretty bad oversight IMO.

·
Registered
791 Posts
TX,
I can't comment on if there is room up there for a winch or not. I asked the reps where the winch mounts were suppose to go and they said the rear will bolt to the area at the bottom of the V where the radius arms mount and will use factory bolt.

And the front would bolt to the bottom of the V also where the A-Arms mount. The plastic at the bottom would be removed.

Now I know what your saying and agree and hope that there will be a permanent mount made by the aftermarket.
AC has a mount that bolts into the bed for you to carry the winch when not used. If you haven't looked yet see if you can't find the accessory catalog and the mounts are in there.
To try and answer you question, you are suppose to mount the winch BEFORE you go thru a mud hole or what ever that you think you might get stuck in. Warn sold/sells the same type of setup for Jeep & trucks. The biggest issue with it that I have seen is that your approach or departure angle really suffers when you have the wich sticking off the front. Now for us dune folks I kind of like the idea. If I get buried I can then mount the winch to the front or back and pull myself out.
Warn Industries - Multi-Mount Portable Winch System

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the south there is no such thing as "mount the winch BEFORE you go through a mud hole or what ever that you think you might get stuck in".

You will be spending all day taking the winch on and off and getting nowhere as there is no way to know when the next obstacle will come along, and they are OFTEN. There is no way to know how deep a hole is ahead of time. It could be 2" deep and it could be 5' deep. I don't want to have to try to mount up a winch on a super steep rocky hill either.

I know about the Warn setup, one of the guys in our group has that in his Jeep.

I will look for the accessory catalog that shows the Wildcat winch setup, but if it is the removeable one there is no point looking at that because it is not practical for southern and eastern trails.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I bet there will be an after market bumper with a winch mount up front, seems the easiest most logical place for one. That is unless you don't want a bumper :)

The beauty is you don't have to worry about blocking the radiator since its in the back

·
Registered
791 Posts
Guys,

I am just telling you what AC has come up with. I understand what your saying and think it would be better to have a permanent mount too. But AC has not designed that. So if your looking for one your going to have to wait for the aftermarket to:
1)Make a bumper w/winch mount
2)Make a mount that will fit some place
3)Design something yourself

Looking at the steel tube bumper that AC has I could see a winch mount welded to that but I do not know how the bumper is mounted to the Wildcat. So only time will tell and I am sure it won't take long for the aftermarket to jump on the wagon and start making all kinds of stuff for this.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Do Like The Op To Put On Front Or Back I Have Had Front & Back On My Wheeler
& Must Say I Have Use The Rear Way More Then The Front So Mine Will More
Than Likey Be On The Rear With A Custom Rec. To Raise It Up
So I Can Still Pull A Trailer To

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I think removal of that bracket I circled above and fabbing up a new bracket for a winch will end up being the thing to do. The bracket above looks like it is eating up space for no reason. Plus the bolts securing it to the frame look beefy. Design a new bracket to replace that one that maybe drops down just above the power steering and shoehorn in a winch. The ends of the winch would be hovering over the frame rails between the A-arms. Then you would need a roller fairlead bolted up front to guide the winch line, this would be bolted to the new bracket I described. Fairlead would be at or just below that last grille section in front.

This would be a great spot for a winch IMO.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Yup That Would Be A Good Spot ( Up High )
But Not Knowing To Much About The Oil Cooler
Would That Interfear With Air Flow To It ?

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup That Would Be A Good Spot ( Up High )
But Not Knowing To Much About The Oil Cooler
Would That Interfear With Air Flow To It ?
I don't think so the oil cooler is way up high above that bracket back where the front fenders begin and close to the top near the hood. It would still be well above the spot I am talking about.

·
Registered
791 Posts
So you design it TX and then send me your second mount your going to make just so you have two out there being tested.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL yes I will be making it you can pretty much count on that, gotta have a winch on board, just need the Wildcat in hand to figure it out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
So where does the 2" stinger mount in the front? If you think about it, there are times it would be really nice to have a winch in the back vs having to flip around. Is the WC prewired front and rear like the Can-Am? That would be nice

·
Registered
791 Posts
Baditude,
The 2" receiver mounts down towards the bottom of the front of the machine. The lower plastic will be removed and it will bolt up to bolts already there. And the rear mounts towards the bottom of the V. Both mounts are going to be pretty low on the rig. I will have to see what it looks like before I pass judgement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts