Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the PCI Air Pump Max unit with their $100 billet aluminum mounting bracket. It looks great! Now, where do I mount this thing so the unit sits vertically?
I have the Tusk roof so that eliminates the top cross bar on the cage. There isn’t enough room to mount it in the center anyway. There are two angled, vertical intrusion bars, but the pump will have to sit at an angle, and frankly, that looks stupid.
So what can you recommend for a location?
I think the fix is a clamp-on, 1-3/4” diameter tube assembly that mounts to the two angled bars that would provide a horizontal surface. It doesn’t have to be a safety rated thing, but rugged enough to handle the weight of the pumper unit as you’re flying down a trail. I’ve searched several roll cage sites and every aftermarket site, and no one offers something like this. I’d think it would also be handy for mounting a wide range of items that need a horizontal mounting surface.
If any of you really good fabrication guys are interested, I can provide manufacturing drawings for something like this.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback and pics of your mounting.

Thanks,
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Why do you need it 'vertical'? Is it an OCD thing?

I mounted mine to the box in my bed and it works out great back there. I wanted to get it out of the way and get the noise as far away from me as possible. If I didn't have the box I would have mounted it right to the bed in the same spot. I just unplug it and pull the hoses off to remove the box. Mine's a Rugged but it's pretty much the same

IMG_20191113_205012.jpg

IMG_20191113_205036.jpg

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Even PCI mounted it in the bed of a Wildcat haha

584bhr_1744x.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I spoke with PCI and two other XX dealers that crank out YouTube videos. No one had a really good idea. So.....
I contacted a local fab shop and I’m having a crossbar made and powder coated. I’ll take before, during, and after installation pictures and post them up. Should have something next Friday.
Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
872 Posts
Pretty easy to fab any cage mount these days with the bolt on bare metal caps.
I used these for my rear bumper:

bumper.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it so loud you’ll hear it over the engine?

Why not mount it to the body between the seats? Use a backer plate to support it. If you mount it high, just on the cab side of the intake scoop (for engine & drivebelt) it’s vertical, out of the way, and not taking up bed space

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it so loud you’ll hear it over the engine?

Why not mount it to the body between the seats? Use a backer plate to support it. If you mount it high, just on the cab side of the intake scoop (for engine & drivebelt) it’s vertical, out of the way, and not taking up bed space
With my helmet on, I don’t hear the pumper unit at all.
I did see another very clean install of a pumper unit on the vertical surface between the seats, and above the electronics panel cover.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So, I've been wondering how much anyone uses these pumpers? I find that I often won't wear a helmet. It seems that this kind of makes a helmet mandatory. Don't get me wrong, I know everyone has different needs based on what they are doing. I just thought I'd ask. I'm kind of on the fence. I don't race, but I have had to eat dust too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It’s not about racing, but safety.

A longtime Pro Off Road racer, Pistol Pete Sorenson, was driving his RZR, and during a low speed roll over, hit his head on the cage, and died.

Since I grew up on bikes and quads, I always wore a helmet; though I must admit, I didn’t wear a helmet when I drove the prerunner; but that changed in the last few years, mostly because of the crazies out there. But I can’t see not wearing a helmet in the SxS; never know when you’re gonna mash the go pedal and roll it.

I’m not preaching, it’s each person’s choice. Well mostly. More and more public areas are requiring helmets.

Since the XX likes to capture dust in the cab, more than any other vehicle I’ve driven, I think the pumper will make it a better riding experience.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes. I guess the trap is thinking that nothing is going to happen. You are making a great point about safety. So a pumper would make sense then.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also grew up on two wheels so the helmet was mandatory. The wife and kids said no more MX and handed me a caged, four wheeled device as the only option. Helmets and basically the same safety equipment used in race vehicles was also a stipulation. So my XX has been outfitted with all of it.
When driving without other vehicles, the pumper unit doesn’t get used much. I’ve figured out how to reduce the dust to very low levels inside the cab, so driving with my visor open is frequent.
But when riding with the local UTV group, the pumper is mandatory equipment if you want to breathing at all 10 miles into a 60 mile ride.
BTW- the WORST UTV to be following on a dusty trail is, by far, the Honda. The way the dust comes off that car is unreal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
DGruper, what did you do to minimize dust? I was recently informed by a well respected XX aficionado, must have both rear and front windshields

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think I got lucky with my current setup. I just have a half window up front and I get almost no vehicle generated dust. But I now have a radiator hanging off the cage and my tires are pushed further out with the long travel setup. Although the tires are further out, I think the radiator changed the air flow pattern. So I would guess a rear window might have a positive impact in a similar fashion.

None of this will help me driving behind a vehicle though. I will probably end up getting a pumper.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DGruper, what did you do to minimize dust? I was recently informed by a well respected XX aficionado, must have both rear and front windshields
The half front windshield came off. This got rid of the dead air movement inside the cockpit.
Yes, it makes a much colder ride in the winter because all the heat from the radiator is now able to escape. On solo rides in the winter, putting the windshield back on keeps the heat inside.
Then I sealed as many of the “easy” holes and gaps with a piece of duct tape or foam pipe insulation. When you remove the factory seat belts, there a couple of huge holes leftover. Seal those off with the tape. Underneath the car at the rear end of the stock plastic skid plate, remove the skid plate screws and slide a piece of the foam across the full width, then reinstall the screws( pushing them through the foam).
A solo ride produces very little to no dust now. Riding with a group, the dust buildup inside is substantially less, but having the pumper lets you ride all day behind anyone.
Hope this helps.

Now, it’s about how to find a better way to keep my helmet faceshield easier to keep clean when you can’t be the lead car....

·
Registered
180 Posts
So as a follow up, I now have the rugged pumper, with hoses and switch. I noticed that the hoses don't come with plugs or is that even necessary? I would have assumed that you plugged them when not in use.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So as a follow up, I now have the rugged pumper, with hoses and switch. I noticed that the hoses don't come with plugs or is that even necessary? I would have assumed that you plugged them when not in use.
Rugged offers machined aluminum hose plugs that mount to a roll cage tube so you can stow the hose when not being used. They are what I use.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts