Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal if you were going to buy a new machine Sat. mourning and you could not afford to add mods and had to keep it stock, pure stock would you still buy a Wildcat or
RZR 900 XP LE? I live in AZ and most of the riding would be in high desert and gravel washes yes i live right next to Glamis but that is not my thing did it years ago.
So 95% riding washes and 5% sand.
One other factor is i have a Polaris dealer in town and the Wildcat dealer is 60 miles away.
Don't get me wrong i love the wildcat but not sure i would be happy with it in stock form over the RZR in stock form. For those of you that have had both your input would be very much appreciated.
If i could trade every year it would not be a concern but i keep my toys for a long, long time so i need to make the best purchase i can. I know they both have advantages and this is what is driving me crazy been back and forth and not sure which one to buy. Might just wait until next season but that probably won't help.

Thank's
Ernie

·
Registered
508 Posts
I know this is a wildcat forum but Id always say go with your gut, sounds like you would be more comfortable getting the rzr and I cant argue with that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
In my world suspension is the most important thing- then power to weight ratio. Aside from that the WC has more interior room and a lower center of gravity. The WC has some great things going for it. Then again- do you need room for 3 other riders. We have a blast with 4 of us in my Rzr4.

If you're like me you're looking for the fun factor and the suspension of the WC rulers the day.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
So you keep your toys a long, long time but you never ever modify them? If you can't afford to mod it right away but will have money to do so in the future, get the Wildcat. As all will point out it is a better platform to start with. Power is cheaper and easier to get than suspension improvements. I don't think it will dissapoint too many people, just the diehard dune riders from what has been posted.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If you can't afford mods then the 2k plus shock upgrade that an xp needs is way out of the question. The wildcat with 0 mods is better out of the box. Then when you save up 1200 you can delete the clutch if you decide you need it. Wildcat stock suspension is better than an upgraded xp imo(Yes I have drive time in both). My body cringes thinking about riding in an xp with better shocks there is that much difference.

The xp will have some top end on a wildcat but its a very small amount. You could probably take care of most of it with some minor clutch changes. Until Epi and Airdam get it all worked out you have to wait a bit.

I like the xp, I think its a good machine I just do not fit in the damn thing comfortably. 2k vs 1200 is a pretty easy decision to me as well. If you ever plan on doing a motor swap get the xp:p

·
Registered
986 Posts
Personally I would choose the Wildcat, and not because that is what I have done, but because of the suspension, I am a suspension freak. I feel the Wildcat is a better machine as a platform as was said early in this thread, power is very cheap compared to suspension. The cockpit and seats are 1000x more comfortable than anything out there, especially the XP and S. You also get power steering out of the box, which is great for these heavier machines. I have driven both an XP with and without power steering, and while not a requirement, it sure was nice to have.

The only reason I would lean Polaris over Wildcat is that I have driven the piss out of a RZR S and XP, and I know they are durable as hell. The Wildcat hasn't been out yet to prove itself. Tough call, sounds like you are leaning Polaris by your post, and it won't be a bad choice by any means. Both are great machines. Good luck and enjoy whatever you get, I'm sure you will.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Btw the power steering is freakin amazin. Perfect input by speed imo. I love that shit. Oh and turning radius is accomplished by use of the skinny pedal not the steering wheel :}

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
for me the wildcat hands down or you can wait until 2013 and get the xp2 1000cc 5"wider body 18"wheel traval 103 hp

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i need the leg room, not because i am tall but my left knee kills me in my rzr. the left leg is bent the entire time, you cannont straighten it out. the wildcat i can put my left foot next to the brake on the floor board, and fully extend my knee. this alone is worth accepting the lag in the power dept. i like lower seat hight for fast track trail riding and rock climbing
. they will crack the power from this thing eventually.

·
Vendor
508 Posts
I like the XP a LOT it's an adrenaline fix every time you hop behind the wheel. I am lucky enough to own both and if I could only have one it would be the Wildcat and it's an easy pic for me. We do most of our riding in the desert and washes and mountain trails too. Super plush suspension, power steering, much nicer ergonomics, what looks to be a much better built frame, your just getting a lot more bang for your buck in my opinion. Only question at all for me is how the Wildcat will be dependibility wise?? because the XP has served us very well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You mentioned holding off for one more season and that might serve you well---To see whats coming and be sure you get the best bang for your buck----You should wait and see how the WC pans out also as it is it's first year---Hopefully you have another toy to use while waiting.

Happy

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
just buy this one, sell it and buy the new one. i think most sxs hold there value fairly well

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Personally I would choose the Wildcat, and not because that is what I have done, but because of the suspension, I am a suspension freak. I feel the Wildcat is a better machine as a platform as was said early in this thread, power is very cheap compared to suspension. The cockpit and seats are 1000x more comfortable than anything out there, especially the XP and S. You also get power steering out of the box, which is great for these heavier machines. I have driven both an XP with and without power steering, and while not a requirement, it sure was nice to have.

The only reason I would lean Polaris over Wildcat is that I have driven the piss out of a RZR S and XP, and I know they are durable as hell. The Wildcat hasn't been out yet to prove itself. Tough call, sounds like you are leaning Polaris by your post, and it won't be a bad choice by any means. Both are great machines. Good luck and enjoy whatever you get, I'm sure you will.

I agree with everything you said in the first paragraph, but I disagree with your second paragraph. Since he is rarely going to use it in the sand, the WC has plenty of power for trail riding etc. It has the (much) better chassis and better suspension, so the landslide decision goes to the Wildcat. The XP chassis isn't really a chassis. As soon as he hits a boulder on some trail, the XP front arm mounts will rip off.

My vote is for the WC, all the way. If you break either one on the trail, it doesn't matter whether the dealer is in town or 60 mi away, you're not in town, so that's a non-issue. I order all my parts online (cheaper), so once I get home, I just order parts, they land on my doorstep.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just buy the WC, Ernie....dang old hippies can never make up their minds.....LOL LOL LOL......best bang for your buck; Wildcat!!

·
Banned
441 Posts
My take is this is the best sxs so far,power/clutch issue will probably resolved pretty quick.The xp is built on an old desing and modified to its max.What Polaris has up there sleeve will blow the xp away.I personally would wait a few months.

·
Registered
508 Posts
They very well may have something up their sleeve but you know that the msrp is gonna be crazy expensive. Hell they raised the prices this year on the xp $300 without any improvements. Dont know if I would want the first year polaris with the way their quality is.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Totally agree with the above statement BHT....to me, they do not do enough quality control.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hands down no comparison stock to stock, wildcat all the way,I could have bought an xp or xp4, but decided to wait for comfort,convience,suspension,and it has plenty of power for 90% of people,suspension is un real!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts