Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a 2018 XX and took it to Glamis and kept up with RZR Turbos easy. I want to roost out my buddy’s and have like 200HP on the spool. Who is running a turbo? What kit and who can install it for me out here in Ca?

·
Administrator
28,097 Posts
Welcome Rudywho. Push has a turbo, Alba too I believe. Member Chris Lane has a Push in his car, do a search, he had videos up on it. You might want to give Alba a call, they are in California.

Reactions: Rudywho

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Rudywho, it sounds like you need a turnkey setup. I've been playing with turbo Miatas for a long, long time and the accumulated wisdom over the years is that the best hardware to put on your car is whatever your local tuner is comfortable with.

So you are asking one of the right questions in seeking a recommendation for a shop to do the work for you. Once you have identified a good shop, I would tell you to buy what they tell you to buy, so you don't hear "I've never worked with this before, but..."

Add LaRue Performance and Sandcraft to your list of kits to research.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a Push turbo, but it is more of a custom job. I can't recommend Push directly though- you would need to go through a Push dealer because Push is way too flakey. If you are willing to pay extra, LaRue does badass work. But a turbo is a mixed bag because it can turn into a money pit, with engine and trans work. My goal was 200-210 HP (160-170 RWHP) on a non built engine that is reliable. I accomplished this with better cooling and a little luck. I actually think 200HP is pushing it a bit on a 2018. That being said, I have had zero issues with about 1K miles.

There is a dealer in Las Vegas that would do a Push system for you. I had a long conversation with him at the last event that I was at. He had a lot of experience with Push and the XX.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a turbo XX. mine a 2018 and it has a yamaha sidewinder snowmobile engine. I can select between 250HP to 320HP on the fly with an iPad on the dash. It is amazing and very fast. I have not been in a stock xx but i was in a stage 2 can am X3 and my destroys it.
With the amazing suspension these XX have, making it have 250HP is an amazing combination.
I have had no issues related to the turbo swap except i blew a belt.
I would suggest to all XX owners to get a turbo. really makes this car amazing. better than the RZR or X3

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
We just bought a 2018 XX and took it to Glamis and kept up with RZR Turbos easy. I want to roost out my buddy’s and have like 200HP on the spool. Who is running a turbo? What kit and who can install it for me out here in Ca?
Good luck with your mods and get ready to drop some serious coin to get right. Dont just think you will drop a stock turbo and not break other things. Maybe the question should be how much did you guys spend to get RELIABLE HP.....Also ask your self why arent there more Turbo XX out there in Glamis?

·
Administrator
28,097 Posts
Good luck with your mods and get ready to drop some serious coin to get right. Dont just think you will drop a stock turbo and not break other things. Maybe the question should be how much did you guys spend to get RELIABLE HP.....Also ask your self why arent there more Turbo XX out there in Glamis?
I'm asking myself why you're not out here in Glamis!?!?!?

·
Administrator
28,097 Posts

·
Administrator
28,097 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a turbo XX. mine a 2018 and it has a yamaha sidewinder snowmobile engine. I can select between 250HP to 320HP on the fly with an iPad on the dash. It is amazing and very fast. I have not been in a stock xx but i was in a stage 2 can am X3 and my destroys it.
With the amazing suspension these XX have, making it have 250HP is an amazing combination.
I have had no issues related to the turbo swap except i blew a belt.
I would suggest to all XX owners to get a turbo. really makes this car amazing. better than the RZR or X3
Any details on this engine swap? Direct bolt in?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I have read that LaRue Performance in Scottsdale has what is necessary to accomplish the Sidewinder swap. I've seen info on an exhaust header adapter, but there might be more hardware required.

A big question for many owners, is whether the sled motors are superior to the 2019.5 XX motors, which got stronger internals.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello. I did alot of research on the swap. And i was going to do it all myself. I did a rzr Z1 turbo swap in 2012 myself. But then i found a xx for sale with the swap done so i bought that.
ill tell you i have had no issues other than a waterpump and belts. Someone needs to make a machine with no belts. Polaris inteoduced the belt drive cvt on atvs back in the 90s. They are made for 50hp machines. A 300 hp utv is to much. I am hoping yamaha will release a new utv soonthats better than the yxz. And has the sidewinder engine but yxz transmission. I would like to put the yxz transmission into my xx and then it would be the ultimate machine.
Yes the motor bolts right up. Same clutches same mounts same almost everything.
as for reliability, some sidewinder guys have over 20000 miles on thier sleds no issues. And as the years go on we will see them with higher miles. So they are extremely reliable. And the aftermarket performance support for sleds is far superior to utvs. Im not sure why. I have an ipad for a secondary dash with over 20 engine parameters on it and i can adjust boost/hp on the flywith the ipad. Its also a gps map and knock sensor built in to retard throttle when the fuel octane is to low. And i can fully adjust my antilag launch control on the ipad. And on and on. This is all snowmobile stuff that is 5 years ahead of utvs at least.
i am considering doing a few xx sidewinder swaps myself for people or buying brand new machines and swaping them and trying to sell them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh ya one last thing on the sidewinder engine. The sled guys have made multiple tunes that go from 330hp on pump gas to 420hp on race fuel and up to 500hp safely on racefuel. All selectable on an ipad with a bigger turbo and headstuds and headgasket. Thats it. I was going to do the 420 mode at first but once i drove my it was insane enough so i left it with the stock turbo.
this engine is far superior to the 2020 xx. The xx got the detuned no turbo cheap verson from yamaha to make the xx within the price point.
the sidewinder is where they used the development team to make the fastest snowmobile in the world. And the most expensive. The sidewinder engine has better parts. Better internals. Piston oil squiters etc etc. a stock xx engine boosted to 260hp in a sled wouldnt last 10000 miles like the sleds do. They just arent the same. The xx is a budget engine.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts