Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding and clutching snowmobiles for over 20 years. Snowmobile clutches are easily to tune by changing primary weights/spring and helix/spring on the driven clutch (secondary).

Currently I’m riding a m1000 arctic cat snowmobile with a turbo that makes over 250 hp. It only cost $200 dollars to make changes to my clutch for the extra horse power. The primary weights were increased to pull RPM down to the power band and a stronger bullet muti angle helix was installed (turbo kit was a little more, 6K).

Three weeks ago I purchased a Wildcat and with the forums have come to understand the clutching issues with the wildcat. The wet clutch setup and secondary are not tunable.

The Polaris XP 900 uses snowmobile clutches that shift properly and hold RPM’s. See pictures below of Polaris XP clutches and m1000 A/C snowmobile clutches. I fail to understand why AC did not use snowmobile style clutch setup on the wildcat. The Airdam delete may be the only option, but still not as tunable.

That said this is my first UTV and the wildcat has been great fun. It is amazing how it soaks up the bumps and handles. I have been to the sand dunes one time with two other XP’s and kept up fine, but we had no large hills. My riding will be trails/dirt roads and maybe 5-6 trips a year to the dunes.

In the end I may do the Airdam delete or try and fit A/C sled clutches on the wildcat (difficult). It is frustrating that I can’t tune the clutches for elevation, hills, etc as easily as a snowmobile.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can tune the stock AC clutch.

You can put in heavier or lighter roller weights in the primary to raise or lower shiftout rpm.

You can get a different helix on your secondary. Just not as plentiful as a sled.
You can get secondary springs in different weights. You can also clock the secondary spring tension several positions.

You can also change wet clutch springs to change initial engagement of the clutch.

Then other options are airdam stage 1,2,3,4,5 or his WCD.
Highlifter forum has a guy papaslap that tunes and does machine work, got's a really good rep. over there.
Those mudders use either airdam or papaslap.

Lots of tuning options for tuning the clutch just gotta wrap your head around it and do some test and tune.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I was under the impression that with the wcd it was just like any other clutch setup and could be tuned.

·
Registered
103 Posts
next years model will have the snowmoblie clutch:popc1:

How do you know this and will the snowmobile clutch be a retro fit option for current clutch? Does the snowmobile clutch require a new housing(cover)? Not familiar with the snowmobile clutch but from what I've read in this forum, they're awesome.

·
Registered
137 Posts
How do you know this and will the snowmobile clutch be a retro fit option for current clutch? Does the snowmobile clutch require a new housing(cover)? Not familiar with the snowmobile clutch but from what I've read in this forum, they're awesome.
I'm just guessing they will fix the problem so they can keep selling units

·
Registered
986 Posts
Great question, along with many others, like why take away dual throttle bodies, why not use a clamp on style filter instead of a push on (like everyone else uses too), why not market better, why not take suggestions from the ride demo, etc etc. AC has made some baffling moves throughout this process. I get the wet clutch thing. I talked to some guys today that talked about rhinos with 5000 miles on a belt and still going. The wet clutch takes the shock from the crankshaft out of the belt and prolongs it's life via some other features provided there, but I think it's perfectly worthless. Polaris uses the right clutch setup, there is very little room to improve the XP clutch setup for the stock motor, same for the S. AC should have taken more pages out of existing books that were tested and proven on the market by other companies. I know they too have side by sides, but the Prowler is more of a utility class (beastly motor I realize), Polaris had the only real, and very successful I might add, sport side by sides. AC had all the opportunity in the world to get it closer to "right", but they didn't, and it's up to us as owners to blow our pay checks in the aftermarket industry to make this thing everything we want and need. I'm ok with it. I plan to stick with this side by side a few years, but I really expect to see Can AM answer with something really awesome, or maybe Polaris, or how about KTM??? KTM makes some of the nicest and gnarliest off the show room bikes and quads of any company ever. Why can't they make us a full chromoly 20" of travel bad boy with 1000cc, 150 HP rocket machine???? The next 5 years will be interesting in the UTV market, that is for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im sure it was cheaper. But there like a Rhino and with proper tuning can work great. even a wet clutch. Seems like everyone is making a big deal over it but is it really a problem? I dont notice mine slipping.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Its not the slipping, its the lack of backshifting for the dune guys.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can tune the stock AC clutch.

You can put in heavier or lighter roller weights in the primary to raise or lower shiftout rpm.

You can get a different helix on your secondary. Just not as plentiful as a sled.
You can get secondary springs in different weights. You can also clock the secondary spring tension several positions.

You can also change wet clutch springs to change initial engagement of the clutch.

Then other options are airdam stage 1,2,3,4,5 or his WCD.
Highlifter forum has a guy papaslap that tunes and does machine work, got's a really good rep. over there.
Those mudders use either airdam or papaslap.

Lots of tuning options for tuning the clutch just gotta wrap your head around it and do some test and tune.

Here's a post from Jeff @ EPI

http://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/wildcat-general-discussion/1102-epi-testing-saga.html

Happy

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If A-C had put a properly designed, and properly tuned primary clutch on the WC, we would likely not be having this discussion. We work on all brands, and wet-clutch machines in general, and A-C specifically do usually show much better belt longevity. We see it on a daily basis. I know this will yield anecdotes of people who got three billion miles on their Polaris belt. That's great, but not the norm. We have also replaced a few Polaris primaries that had very low miles but had terrible bushing wear throughout. A-C certainly missed the target, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 2012&early 13 wet clutch wildcats run very well when the stock clutches are properly tuned. I've tuned both the stock and muzzys WCD. The stock clutches will work just as good as the WCD when tuned properly. Problem was the stock weights, helix and spring were way wrong for the application, especially if you ride higher than sea level.
The new team primary and secondary is what they should have started with. They still rant tuned very well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This video proves to me that when properly tuned the wet clutch can hold its own.
Outgunned by 10hp by the XP and 20+ by the Maverick...

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I think the best thing cat did was give the clutching to team , their sleds clutching from 12-current is complete garbage , imported parts, out of spec bushings clutch faces being worn by the drive belt , ( Im on my second primary and it needs replaced) and some instances where the secondary helix bolts have backed out causing HUGE failures and cat's idea as to how to fix it - throw on a new clutch at a 50$ deductable for the warrenty.

I hope the X and standard models that are having issues arent examples of issues to come..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts