Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am i the first person to try this? i've looked everywhere on the web and haven't heard of anyone trying this for simple little day trips. stock wheels and tires and a long bed f250

i cant believe it actually worked without rubbing or hitting anything...

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tire

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I doubt the tail gate straps are designed for that much weight

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i'll think of something that will use my hitch reciever to support the weight on my tailgate, im not comfortable with it just being held up by the cables themselves. i used to do it with the rhino all the time with no problems at all

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
You could try backing it in, if you feel comfortable doing that, then you wouldn't have the weight of the motor on the tailgate. I would still find a way to beef up the tailgate attachment. I think some members on here mentioned they make aftermarket straps that are stronger for things like this.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What ramps are you using? Do they safely support the weight of the cat?
they have been used for golf carts and my previous sxs all the time which was only about 300lbs lighter. so i just went for it, they didnt seem to flex any

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Here's the support bars needed.! THANK YOU SO MUCH PushL1 for doing this! I've posted years ago wanting to try it but never got around to it. I even went as far as ratcheting the rear suspension like you did but I don't have ramps I trust to hold the weight and I never bought the bars to try it. Now I feel confident it will work, but I will want to back it in instead even though I have bags. GREAT JOB!!

Tailgate Support Bars from DG Manufacturing

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I noticed you pulled the front suspension in also... But when I measured it and if you were to back it in the fronts don't have to be pulled in only the back..Just an idea. Also how long are your ramps?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I noticed you pulled the front suspension in also... But when I measured it and if you were to back it in the fronts don't have to be pulled in only the back..Just an idea. Also how long are your ramps?

i've never actually measured the ramps but i would imagine they are about 6' - 6.5' i don't feel comfortable backing it in even with it being heavier because my aftermarket exhaust sticks out a good bit further than the tires and i'm afraid it will pop my back window out. the rear tires are really far up toward the front of the tailgate though leaving the last 3/4 of it exposed. keep in mind this was the first time i even attempted to pull it up on the truck, im sure i will fine tune this and give everyone some better tips and tricks. i really only need to strap the side of the tires that are inside the bed, i ust had no clue what i was doing at the time haha. ill play around a little more with it wednesday or thursday though and keep everyone posted

·
Registered
124 Posts
I doubt the tail gate straps are designed for that much weight
Used to put upto 4000# pallets of tile on bed tailgate of my F150. U will be fine
Looking at the pics, less than 1/2 the weight is on the cables, most is on hinge. U could run a 5k# cargo strap from stake pockets under tailgate for extra insurance, doubt that it needs it.

Yeah you can get a rod that takes place of the cables. Sure better then using a trailer
You could try backing it in, if you feel comfortable doing that, then you wouldn't have the weight of the motor on the tailgate. I would still find a way to beef up the tailgate attachment. I think some members on here mentioned they make aftermarket straps that are stronger for things like this.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,969 Posts
I don't think you're the first. Scooby has done it in his long bed 350. Hey, whatever works to get you where you are going.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts