Wildcat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
I see you stretched the wheelbase a bit. Probably a good decision, as far as fitting everything in.

Not sure what you mean by extruded metal. Did you mean expanded screen or mesh? That radiator placement looks hard to get air in and out of compared to the stock location.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Don't wait until you're finished to figure out the radiator placement sucks. Think about relocating it up front away from the heat.

Reactions: CrazyXCat

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Oh yeah, I meant expanded metal not extruded. Wheelbase is extended by approx 1" to fit the XX front wheel drive shaft. The brown paint markers on the frame indicate where the original axle & shock lined up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Don't wait until you're finished to figure out the radiator placement sucks. Think about relocating it up front away from the heat.
Mmm, thanks for the advice.. I wanted to try to keep it somewhat stealth/hidden, but you're right, it'll likely not keep it cool down there. I do ride 95% high speed, but still would be better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
For the trailing arm mounts I tried to mimic Robby Gordon's design of the 2017 Wildcat 1000x RG Pro, that never seemed to come to fruition.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Keep up the good work!

I think a 998 X will be sublime.
For sure! The X has a place in my heart being my first SXS and I love how the 998 sings, should be a great combo. I have the rest of the parts coming in to (hopefully) make it a roller this weekend :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got a roller! I'm going to have to take it all apart again to finish installing the calipers and other misc, but it's nice to get it pushed out to sweep under it :D

The width to the outsides of each tire is now 68", the wheelbase looks to be more than an 1" longer. It was about 1" at the root of the axle, but the stock axles tapered inwards where the XX come out straight to the wheels. For now I'm using 156 to 115 wheel adapters so that I can utilize my stock rims.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
VERY impressive work
Thanks!

Next big item on the list is wiring, I'm hoping to get started on that this weekend. After that it's a bunch of little things I need to finish and tidy up. I'm looking at different radiators that might fit into the cage a bit better than the X radiator. Perhaps I'll invest in a CBR radiator that's designed to be cage mounted, they're pricey, but they look to be of excellent quality.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Been a bit since I've updated my build on here. The X is pretty much wrapped up other than a few minor cosmetic touches. Wiring it was a bit of a challenge, but I managed to get all electrical working including EPS and 4wd. One of my biggest concerns was getting the EPS to work since it uses the original ECU Can Bus and various sensors, if it doesn't receive the correct signals from the main ECU it'll shut itself down and throw one of many codes. I tried to hook it up without connecting to the snowmobile Can Bus and it came on and then shut itself down. I took a chance and connected it to the snowmobile Can Bus and low and behold, it works! I'm still breaking in the engine and belt, I've put about 80 miles on it so far w/o issue. So far I've gotten it to 77mph, haven't pushed it beyond that. It's a blast to drive, much more responsive than the stock engine. I'm going to try to get some video of it soon on my youtube channel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I decided to go with an "open concept" for the engine compartment rather than how I had it with half of the cargo box. This allows more airflow over the engine bay as well as makes maintenance all the more easy. The coolant temperature has maintained between 170-186 or so degrees, I've been driving it in 95-100 degree weather. I wired both fans on the radiator to come on with the ignition and run all the time, I may change one of them to come on as programmed by the ECU. One benefit of having the radiator down low is that one of the fans is always blowing right on the belt/primary.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Because the XX belt is 1mm thicker than the M7000 belt I had to buy the spider tool/socket and split the primary clutch to shim it to get the correct belt tolerance, that was sketchy. The snowmobile obviously won't display if it's in 4wd or not, so I wired in a light to indicate that it is in 4wd. Unfortunately my display has dead lines at the top right sides and it's sealed so I don't want to attempt to fix it, but it'll work for now. I 3D printed an adapter to adapt the M7000 display to the original hole for the stock display, I only had yellow filament.

·
Registered
165 Posts
very impressed job on that engine swap. would be great if someone would make a kit to do engine swaps for these wildcats x 1000 or find a good replacement engine because cat not doing anything for all the wildcats owners out there even if it was the original engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks!

Unfortunately I've experienced the same with arctic cat. Every OEM part I've tried to locate was backordered through Arctic Cat for months. I either had to find it used, or fabricate it myself. Even Wildcat XX parts seemed to be backordered, for example, I had to fab up the shift cable mount shown below out of aluminum because Arctic Cat had it backordered for over 3 months. Granted it's not a common part to fail, you'd still think they'd have a few of them sitting in their warehouse.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
One of my ambitions was to try to see if I could make a conversion kit if someone wanted to tackle the job, but after all was said and done, there is a lot of work involved with this conversion. I think doing a conversion with an older, carbureted 2 stroke would have been a lot easier. Or even a sportbike engine, if you could get a reasonably priced FNR gearbox. It would suck to lose 4wd though.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts