Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought it would of been more the way this thing was being talked up! 57.8 kw = 77.5 hp Im sure she will still run though! This came off the carb website, cant post links cause im a newb (less than 5 post).

Scott

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_comply/2012/articcat_sv_um0070115_952.pdf

heres the carb pdf, just copy into explorer

·
Banned
441 Posts
All dynos are different,keep that in mind.I think the 900xp was dynoed at 66hp on a year ago and another was 76hp.No worries,cheaper to buy HP than suspension.

G

·
Sucks we have to compromise anything!! The Wildcat has a bigger engine, but less HP than the XP? AC could have planned better than this; they had all the knowledge of the XP in front of them. This thing is losing it's thrill. BTW, I'm not so sure about suspension costing less than HP. Last I checked, really good shocks and suspension mods weren't terribly expensive. Good engine work or a turbo is multiple $1000s. Regardless, I can do suspension work...I don't know engines that well. I'm still here, but hope we don't get more unpleasant disappointments.

·
Registered
43 Posts
All dynos are different,keep that in mind.I think the 900xp was dynoed at 66hp on a year ago and another was 76hp.No worries,cheaper to buy HP than suspension.
A wise man indeed...much easier to coax a little horsepower out of a engine than it is to correctly reconfigure the geometry on a vehicle...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
As the Pirelli ad says, "Power Is Nothing Without Control". There are a lot of conclusions being extrapolated from vapor, it seems. As was mentioned, dyno results can vary wildly. There is a lot more fudging possible than the uninitiated may assume. The ONLY way to make a dyno comparison is on the same dyno, on the same day, with the same operator. Any other dyno comparison is simply rubbish.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
As the Pirelli ad says, "Power Is Nothing Without Control". There are a lot of conclusions being extrapolated from vapor, it seems. As was mentioned, dyno results can vary wildly. There is a lot more fudging possible than the uninitiated may assume. The ONLY way to make a dyno comparison is on the same dyno, on the same day, with the same operator. Any other dyno comparison is simply rubbish.
Thats not true, especially with engine dyno and SAE standards. On chassis dynos yes, but not engine dyno testing. Lets just stop the excuses now as to why it is underpowered versus the competition.

This is disappointing to say the least and I hope Arctic Cat makes changes and ups the power or they will not get the sales they are hoping for. Yes 78 horses is nice but 85-90 is the standard now and being around 10% less than the competition is not so acceptable, especially when you have the most displacement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know why this is such a surprise. Every review I have seen either says that it is not as fast as the XP, or that they wish it had more bottom end. Remember that the XP's engine was built from scratch specifically for a SXS. Arctic cat looks like they went the other way and built the machine from the ground up for handling, and went with what they had for an engine. HP isn't everything. When I bought my "S", I could have bought a Prowler 1000 with more HP, but no where near the handling. The Wildcat is still going to be very competative even with less HP.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I don't know why this is such a surprise. Every review I have seen either says that it is not as fast as the XP, or that they wish it had more bottom end. Remember that the XP's engine was built from scratch specifically for a SXS. Arctic cat looks like they went the other way and built the machine from the ground up for handling, and went with what they had for an engine. HP isn't everything. When I bought my "S", I could have bought a Prowler 1000 with more HP, but no where near the handling. The Wildcat is still going to be very competative even with less HP.
x2

In anything but a drag race, I can smoke turbo'd machines, prowlers, big bore Teryx, etc, due to handling in my stock RZR S. I am not sure where this info went by the wayside, but in Dirt Wheels magazine's first write up on the wildcat last month, they said the original pipe that they made for the engine was too gnarly and they changed it out for one that dropped them 18 HP. Now I don't know the truth of this statement, but Dirt Wheels is a fairly reputable source on most things. If the 18 HP pipe is true, then some aftermarket company could put out a pipe, add a PC to change fuel delivery and for somewhere around $1000-1500, you could have 95 HP from this motor.

As to someone's earlier claim that suspension change is cheaper than motor upgrade, not a chance in this case. If you wanted to create 17-18" of travel on an XP, you would need: Longer a-arms, longer tie rods, longer axles and longer shocks in the front, then you need longer trailing arms, longer linkage rods, longer axles, and longer shocks in the rear. At this point, you would not only have spent in excess of $5000, you also would have made the machine wider, longer and heavier, and potentially depending on shock setup, taller too.

The Wildcat has this travel already, and also has a lower center of gravity by over 5 inches. That makes a huge difference and is a lot better platform to build from in the suspension department. And as far as motor, its a 951cc V-twin. A few mods and its a monster engine (granted an XP motor can make some massive power too with a few mods).

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've seen somewhere on the Internet that the XTZ (same motor) has 71 hp. So 77 is about what I expected. I really want to see what someone comes up with for a bolt on package to up the power!

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Sucks we have to compromise anything!! The Wildcat has a bigger engine, but less HP than the XP? AC could have planned better than this; they had all the knowledge of the XP in front of them. This thing is losing it's thrill. BTW, I'm not so sure about suspension costing less than HP. Last I checked, really good shocks and suspension mods weren't terribly expensive. Good engine work or a turbo is multiple $1000s. Regardless, I can do suspension work...I don't know engines that well. I'm still here, but hope we don't get more unpleasant disappointments.
What do you consider 'terribly expensive'? Have you priced comparable suspension components? Not including the longer travel arms and necessary heim joints & other changes, you are many thousands into it. Unless you are relying on your suspension knowledge to make bypass shocks & dual rate setups from stockers, I would think you have more to work with a restricted motor, dollar for dollar. I am as disappointed from the news as most. I even considered pulling my deposit. But in the end, the fact remains that you are getting much more for the same price as the XP. 5 years ago we were driving 40 HP Rhinos around. All that said, I truly hope AC really tunes in to the disappointment being voiced and fixes things for future releases if the power story is what's rumored. I am bummed.

·
Registered
377 Posts
x2

In anything but a drag race, I can smoke turbo'd machines, prowlers, big bore Teryx, etc, due to handling in my stock RZR S. I am not sure where this info went by the wayside, but in Dirt Wheels magazine's first write up on the wildcat last month, they said the original pipe that they made for the engine was too gnarly and they changed it out for one that dropped them 18 HP. Now I don't know the truth of this statement, but Dirt Wheels is a fairly reputable source on most things. If the 18 HP pipe is true, then some aftermarket company could put out a pipe, add a PC to change fuel delivery and for somewhere around $1000-1500, you could have 95 HP from this motor.

As to someone's earlier claim that suspension change is cheaper than motor upgrade, not a chance in this case. If you wanted to create 17-18" of travel on an XP, you would need: Longer a-arms, longer tie rods, longer axles and longer shocks in the front, then you need longer trailing arms, longer linkage rods, longer axles, and longer shocks in the rear. At this point, you would not only have spent in excess of $5000, you also would have made the machine wider, longer and heavier, and potentially depending on shock setup, taller too.

The Wildcat has this travel already, and also has a lower center of gravity by over 5 inches. That makes a huge difference and is a lot better platform to build from in the suspension department. And as far as motor, its a 951cc V-twin. A few mods and its a monster engine (granted an XP motor can make some massive power too with a few mods).
18 HP from a pipe and few controller would be a dream, bet it was pipe, controller and dual throttle bodies. Whatever is fine though I will have my V-twin powered Mean Green Machine in he Spring

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
18 HP from a pipe and few controller would be a dream, bet it was pipe, controller and dual throttle bodies. Whatever is fine though I will have my V-twin powered Mean Green Machine in he Spring
Thats my thinking, their decision to go with a single throttle body has cost them 10 horses. They keep talking dual throttle bodies in the videos they are producing, it would be nice if this turns out that they needed the cert for now on the ones they are taking on all the tours so that they are legal for now and that they will recertify with a higher horse version for production. It is possible.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts