Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arctic Cat had the chance to give the Polaris RZR XP 900 a knockout punch. The Wildcat has vastly superior suspension compared to the RZR. And although both appeared to have the same horsepower "on paper," Polaris seems to be winning on this important metric due to the Wildcat's power delivery problems (back-shifting/down-shifting delays that many posters on this forum attribute to wet clutch and/or primary clutch issues). So it appears Arctic Cat missed a window of opportunity to win significant market share from Polaris. And now it appears the Wildcat is going to face even more competition. Check out the April issue of Dirt Wheels magazine. It has pictures of a concept 160-HP Yamaha Rhino 1000.

Dirt Wheels
is famous for running April Fool's articles, but based on discussions today with the local Yamaha dealer (who spoke yesterday with their factory rep), a Rhino replacement is in development. And although the Dirt Wheels article covers a concept vehicle, not a prototype, the factory rep suggested the dealer get a copy of the Dirt Wheels magazine for some clues on what is in development at Yamaha. Will a new Rhino be like the machine described in the article? Will there be a new Rhino released in the next year or two? Who knows? But even if a new Yamaha is in the far distant future, there will be new competition for the Wildcat (most likely from Polaris). Wildcat missed a big chance to quickly grab a significant portion of the SxS market. Arctic Cat better get the Wildcat power/clutch issues fixed quickly or there may not be much of a market opportunity for them at all.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I think you and a lot of others are making more of a deal out of the power thing than really exists. Most owners say it has plenty of power, and there is much more to it than just flat out acceleration. Notice the Yamaha Grizzly and all the Hondas are far from being the most powerful 4 wheelers, and that does not stop them from selling them left and right.

There is an odd tendency for people to project the way they would want things to be to the rest of the world. In other words, since you think it might be down on power you assume so does everyone else and they will not buy it because of that. It is short sightedness and it causes you to miss the entire picture.

Arctic Cat via the Wildcat is going to gain a huge share of the sport SxS market, you may as well just accept it.

:)

·
Registered
508 Posts
:kabong:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think the Wildcat missed anything, so what if it gets beat by a lenth. If you don't like it wait 3 or 4 years and maybe there will be something faster. Get out there and ride and be happy that there are more options than just a Rhino.
The power situation is a big deal to many people...not just a few. Regardless, I totally agree with your comment...'get out and ride and be happy that there are more options than just a Rhino'. Let me add RZR too. Regardless of which SxS anyone prefers, competition is good for ALL of us.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have the xp and i know my xp is faster but im really not dissapionted at all love my cat and cant wait to get my engine back together and get back to glamis.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
I have had a rhino and the first rzr. Now i own a rzr-s and a modfied can-am commander x and now a wildcat. And comparing all of this to a wildcat. They are all like a high speed golf cart. And for any of these companies to try to make something better. They r going to have to start from scratch and change their way of thinking. Its like chevy or ford trying to build something like a bugatti veyron super sport. All i can say is good luck to all those companies.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I kinda agree with the OP. The thing that AC is up against is the fact that they aren't at the same level as Yamaha or Polaris as far as market share goes. They really needed to go over and above to get brand loyal people to cross over to AC. Now if Polaris comes put with a newer version of the XP for 2013, as rumored, then AC is playing catch up again. You aren't getting new customers if you are behind the curve. And if Yamaha and Can Am get back in the race with something comparable, then that just leaves AC an even smaller piece of the pie. Plenty of people are just going to look at the fact that the wildcat has the least horsepower in its class and decide to pass without doing any further research. Would it really have been that hard to post 89 or 90 horsepower just to be tops? Probably not, but they clearly thought that third best was good enough. And for many people, it isn't......

·
Registered
285 Posts
That Yamaha concept would be nice but what a leap from their longstanding fear of SxS lawsuits. Maybe they hired better lawyers this time?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I have had a rhino and the first rzr. Now i own a rzr-s and a modfied can-am commander x and now a wildcat. And comparing all of this to a wildcat. They are all like a high speed golf cart. And for any of these companies to try to make something better. They r going to have to start from scratch and change their way of thinking. Its like chevy or ford trying to build something like a bugatti veyron super sport. All i can say is good luck to all those companies.
The ZR1 and Ford GT aren't that far off. Just sayin.....

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
It's called a XP II 1000. I've seen it. It's a 2 seater.

It's got 18" travel front and rear, makes 103 HP, has a 94" wheelbase, 72" wide, 5" wider in the cabin area, boxed rear trailing arms like a buggy, boxed front arms like a buggy, PWR steering, FULL tube chassis and come factory with garmin GPS.

MSRP is going to be $19,599.99

It's going to be BAD AZZ! I'm going to buy one next year.

trusted sources tell me that dealers will be doing a 2.5K markup till summertime so budget shoppers and cheapos need not apply (me included)

I have a little something to add to this. Just met a guy at training. Two weeks ago He was part of a group that were paid to give their input on a new 2 seat RZR. This was only for the looks of the body, layout of the gauges, easy of getting in/out ect...The motor and other components were all blacked out. The vehicles were not driven or even started.
That's all he could tell me.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Able to do Choke Cherry, ( St. Antony, Idaho), out of the box:):)

Happy

OK, just to give me an idea of what the hills are like at Glamis that everybody is talking about that the WC "can or can't" make it up. How do them hills compare to Choke Cherry, since I have been there many times and know what that hill is like. I know that nobody has been able to try to climb Choke in a Wildcat yet....But in a month or so we'll be able to hear about people trying the WC there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's called a XP II 1000. I've seen it. It's a 2 seater.

It's got 18" travel front and rear, makes 103 HP, has a 94" wheelbase, 72" wide, 5" wider in the cabin area, boxed rear trailing arms like a buggy, boxed front arms like a buggy, PWR steering, FULL tube chassis and come factory with garmin GPS.

MSRP is going to be $19,599.99

It's going to be BAD AZZ! I'm going to buy one next year.

trusted sources tell me that dealers will be doing a 2.5K markup till summertime so budget shoppers and cheapos need not apply (me included)

I have a little something to add to this. Just met a guy at training. Two weeks ago He was part of a group that were paid to give their input on a new 2 seat RZR. This was only for the looks of the body, layout of the gauges, easy of getting in/out ect...The motor and other components were all blacked out. The vehicles were not driven or even started.
That's all he could tell me.

Lurking around on GD.com are we:)

Happy

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I've gotten paid to be on those advisory boards for UTVs before. Never got to actually sit in any kind of prototype though. Just lots of Q&A and some pics or videos. And then the signing of the non disclosure paperwork........

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
1 - 20 of 60 Posts