Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for your thoughts/recommendations...

I'm in the market to upgrade from my '09 RZR-S to either a RZR XP or a Wildcat. Before I pull the trigger I thought I'd ask for your recommendations.

I'd love to race either SxS in some of the local amateur races this season here in the Rocky Mountains, but between races, I'd still like to ride every week or so at a local UTV-accessible motocross track or do some mountain trail riding.

Clearly, the first year Wildcat is slightly lacking in straight line acceleration, and the XP is comparatively lacking in the suspension department. Consequently either rig will need some upgrades to ensure reliability/performance. The XP is likely going to need some suspension help (at least some Makin' Trax springs) and the Wildcat may need a WCD and/or perhaps a crank (one has already failed).

So, after it's all said and done the XP will require an additional $500 to $2000 in suspension work and the Wildcat may require several trips back the dealership for repairs (likely not under warranty).

Having never run competitively, I have no real world experience and would like to get your input on what it might really take and which rig would provide the best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
other than sand drags, suspension wins, i own a turbo rzr-s. its very fast. when i race through the trails i cant pass because i HAVE to slow down or take a beat down when i bottom out or dig up piles of dirt or sand with the front end.
the slower cat will beat you with suspension, able to go faster with out hammering on the brakes in fear of busting your spleen in the process. even though I AM STILL WAITING FOR MY EARLY RIDE (B.S) DEAL, while others walkin and buy at other dealers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks like you have done some research, there is no end to what aftermarket performance items that are and will be avalible for both machines. You will be spending money on both, and when you get left behind by a modified machine just spend a little more$$$
So IMO get what feels like its the best all round RIDE, after all thats how i met the wife and it worked for me !

·
Registered
508 Posts
All mechanical components can possibly fail, dont let hearing about one crank problem make you think there is or will be a problem with them. Look for a trend, not isolated incidents.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, is anyone else planning on racing their Wildcat and if so, what's your plan for upgrading to be ready to run reliably?

·
Vendor
508 Posts
We have an XP and a Wildcat and I'll be racing the Wildcat for sure in a X-Country series here in Nor Cal. Very close in acceleration, but the Wildcat has far superior suspension and I love the power steering. We'll add UHMW skids and 5 point restraints, other than that it's good to go.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
All mechanical components can possibly fail, dont let hearing about one crank problem make you think there is or will be a problem with them. Look for a trend, not isolated incidents.
In all fairness, the Wildcat production models have only been in people's garages for less than 3 weeks. Any failures are depressing at this point, considering the very few that are actually being driven. And its hard to say what will become trends. We probably won't find that out until a few hundred of these things gets used for 6 months. But I can see both sides. You don't want to jump to conclusions on 1 or 2 units with problems, but you don't want to dismiss the possibility that there could be problems. With such a small sampling its just impossible to know right now. I am glad I waited and we'll see how it pans out over the next 6 months or so.............

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
In all fairness, the Wildcat production models have only been in people's garages for less than 3 weeks. Any failures are depressing at this point, considering the very few that are actually being driven. And its hard to say what will become trends. We probably won't find that out until a few hundred of these things gets used for 6 months. But I can see both sides. You don't want to jump to conclusions on 1 or 2 units with problems, but you don't want to dismiss the possibility that there could be problems. With such a small sampling its just impossible to know right now. I am glad I waited and we'll see how it pans out over the next 6 months or so.............
So far to my knowledge the failures have been 100% from modified vehicles, no stock part failures that I know of. So to me the lack of failures so far is encouraging.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I went to look at the ONE the deal had you couldn't drive it, how in the world can you buy something when all you get is a look. I wait til There is more out there and I can drive it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback folks!

I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the WC and roll the dice w/ the first year reliability issues. Looks like I'll also end up running for a year without any competition (keeping my extended warranty in tact), but in year two the mod bug will probably kick in and I'll replace what is likely to be the weak point, the drive train.

Also it looks like tires/rims might also be required right outta the box.

Any additional thoughts/comments?

·
Vendor
508 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback folks!

I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the WC and roll the dice w/ the first year reliability issues. Looks like I'll also end up running for a year without any competition (keeping my extended warranty in tact), but in year two the mod bug will probably kick in and I'll replace what is likely to be the weak point, the drive train.

Also it looks like tires/rims might also be required right outta the box.

Any additional thoughts/comments?
Yes I should have added that the stock tires a not the best, we'll be putting a new set of beadlocks and tires on as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What tires are you guys going with? I thought about running Pitbull Growler or Growler XOR, but I don't know they'd do well in the mix of conditions I'm planning on riding in. I'll need a tire that is capable on harpack trails with plenty of large, sharp rocks but also runs well on a short course track.

Recommendations?

·
Vendor
508 Posts
What tires are you guys going with? I thought about running Pitbull Growler or Growler XOR, but I don't know they'd do well in the mix of conditions I'm planning on riding in. I'll need a tire that is capable on harpack trails with plenty of large, sharp rocks but also runs well on a short course track.

Recommendations?
After seeing the results running the featherweight paddles had on the Wildcat, we're going to find out who makes the lightest 6 ply 14 inch radial and the lightest beadlock. Love the Pitbulls, but they are heavy! Got an idea what we'll run, but want to confirm a couple things before I reccomend them to anybody.

·
Registered
205 Posts
We have an XP and a Wildcat and I'll be racing the Wildcat for sure in a X-Country series here in Nor Cal. Very close in acceleration, but the Wildcat has far superior suspension and I love the power steering. We'll add UHMW skids and 5 point restraints, other than that it's good to go.
Really the acceleration is close? is good to hear I'm getting my monday

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After seeing the results running the featherweight paddles had on the Wildcat, we're going to find out who makes the lightest 6 ply 14 inch radial and the lightest beadlock. Love the Pitbulls, but they are heavy! Got an idea what we'll run, but want to confirm a couple things before I reccomend them to anybody.
I'm looking forward to hearing more on this... Please keep us posted. Looks like I've got to wait until we pay our taxes before the boss will let me upgrade to the WC, so I have until mid March before need to start ordering parts.:sgrin:

·
Vendor
508 Posts
I'm looking forward to hearing more on this... Please keep us posted. Looks like I've got to wait until we pay our taxes before the boss will let me upgrade to the WC, so I have until mid March before need to start ordering parts.:sgrin:
Happy wife, happy life :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts