Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Vendor
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Wildcat out to Sand Mountain Nv this weekend (AMAZING machine!!!) anyway we follow the motoman break in procedure and after the first session I pulled into camp and shut down. Luckily the guys started screaming for me to start it back up, turns out the muffler was on fire and engulfed the the rear taillight and frame rail in flames. Guys said it blew a fireball 5 feet out that back when I restarted, but it put the fire out. We let it idle for a minute and shut it down. Not sure what would have happened had I just walked away :pat:

Very well could have been an isolated incident with a bad muffler packing job, but something to keep an eye on anyway. Ran it hard for 2 days after that and had zero issues other than wiping the smile off our faces. I didn't see the flames, but the guys felt like it would have at least burned up the taillight lens and burned the paint off the rear frame if not worse. I'm sure the manual calls for a different kind of break-in procedure, but your not going to seat the rings properly following the manual procedure.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I've been on AC forums since I got my first Prowler back in 2006. I have never heard of any reoccuring fire issues in AC UTVs. But thanks Steve........

·
Registered
218 Posts
I know you have heard of E-brakes catching on fire both from people leaveing them on and in 09 the XTZ cables were run on the exhaust causing them to go up in smoke. Mine did. Your welcome

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I think someone leaving an e-brake on and driving around with the brakes pulling against them and not noticing it until enough heat is generated to catch the vehicle on fire falls under the category of "some people are just too fucking stupid to keep breathing" category and should not be blamed on the manufacturer.

:pat:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think someone leaving an e-brake on and driving around with the brakes pulling against them and not noticing it until enough heat is generated to catch the vehicle on fire falls under the category of "some people are just too fucking stupid to keep breathing" category and should not be blamed on the manufacturer.

Yea, what he said !! :fing26:

·
Vendor
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was definitely inside the muffler and almost certainly muffler packing material. Just a heads up is all, I'd have likely walked away towards camp and not noticed and damaged something, which would really suck after your first 10 minute ride :pat:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
So Is It All Right Now
Mine Smoke Like He!! For About 5 Min. After I Shut It Down The 1st 2 Or 3 Time
But Seems Allright Now Just Thought It Was Oils Burning Off

·
Vendor
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So Is It All Right Now
Mine Smoke Like He!! For About 5 Min. After I Shut It Down The 1st 2 Or 3 Time
But Seems Allright Now Just Thought It Was Oils Burning Off
After the first episode, never had an issue and we ran it hard! Drag raced our XP 10-15 times, no smoke, no fire :cool:

·
Registered
218 Posts

I agree with that part of the post. But the problem is you didnt have to have the E-brake on at all for them to catch in some cases. Some the cables were on the exhaust from the factory so who is "To F***ing stupid"? Some the pads would rub and get hot enough to catch the belt ducting on fire. Look it up at ****************

·
Registered
508 Posts
Do these things come with a manual?

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
after the first episode, never had an issue and we ran it hard! Drag raced our xp 10-15 times, no smoke, no fire :cool:
so was it that close of a race u had to race 10-15 times. Who won??????

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I noticed ours smoked like hell after we shut it off but never any flames!! glad no one was hurt or the machine burn down that would suck!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts